Comments

Former user wrote on 11/10/2019, 9:36 PM

I've been using avi videos on AP8 build 233 on my studio desktop. However, the same videos will not load into the same version of Acid on my Asus gaming laptop. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

What CODEC are these videos?

AVI is a container. It can contain many CODECs. One PC may have the necessary CODEC, while the other doesn't.

bfresh wrote on 11/12/2019, 12:51 PM

Thank you for responding. I suspected the same. So I installed the K-Lite codec pack on the laptop thinking that it would contain the necessary codec, however it is still not working.

emmrecs wrote on 11/12/2019, 1:16 PM

@bfresh

The majority of posters here will tell you that the installation of codec packs, like your K-Lite, is generally best avoided! They often seem to create more problems than they solve!

However, I think @Former user is almost certainly completely correct in his belief that it is a problem with a missing codec on your laptop. In order to try and correct this I would do the following:

1. Uninstall the K-Lite pack.
  2. Download and install the free MediaInfo utility. Point it to your avi file and see what the Text view says are the codecs needed to read and play it.
  3. Post the result here.
  4. Optional. Also, download and install the free, but now rather old GSpot utility. Point your .avi file to it. Although old it will search through all the available codecs on your computer and tell you which, if any, can play your video on your laptop. (This will help determine if the laptop CAN play the file but the required codec is not available to ACID.)

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Samplitude Pro X7 Suite, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

bfresh wrote on 11/12/2019, 1:42 PM

To be clear, the avi video will open on the laptop in the 'Movies & TV' app. But it will not load into AP8.

Here is the MediaInfo data:

General
Complete name                            : F:\CUSTOM-2019-20\Cheer Savannah\Cheer Sav Chenille.avi
Format                                   : AVI
Format/Info                              : Audio Video Interleave
File size                                : 33.4 MiB
Duration                                 : 2 min 35 s
Overall bit rate                         : 1 805 kb/s
Writing application                      : Lavf58.11.101

Video
ID                                       : 0
Format                                   : xvid
Codec ID                                 : xvid
Bit rate                                 : 1 697 kb/s
Width                                    : 1 280 pixels
Height                                   : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate                               : 30.000 FPS
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.061
Stream size                              : 31.4 MiB (94%)

Audio
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : MPEG Audio
Format version                           : Version 1
Format profile                           : Layer 3
Codec ID                                 : 55
Codec ID/Hint                            : MP3
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 96.0 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 1 channel
Sampling rate                            : 44.1 kHz
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 1.78 MiB (5%)
Alignment                                : Aligned on interleaves
Interleave, duration                     : 26  ms (0.78 video frame)
Interleave, preload duration             : 26  ms
Writing library                          : LAME3.99 (alpha)

bfresh wrote on 11/12/2019, 3:56 PM

I tried installing a few other recommended codec packs but still could not play avi files in AP8 or Vegas 10. I discovered that I could convert the file to wmv and get it to play in AP8.

Former user wrote on 11/13/2019, 2:25 AM

Xvid isn't a standard CODEC, and needs a separate CODEC installed on Windows.

Additionally, that is a deprecated/legacy CODEC, and it may only be available as a 32-Bit component. I'm not sure how that interacts with 64-Bit versions of ACID Pro.

Unless the CODEC is implemented using the specific frameworks that ACID Pro and VEGAS Pro supports (windows has multiple), it may not function in the software.

If you're using ACID pro to score music to video, you can always go WMV if you are only going to play the video back on a Windows machine, anyways.

AVI can be deceptive, like MOV or MXF :-P You don't know what's in there unless you peek using a utility (or are told/rendered it yourself).