Video converter with S-video gives out black and white

OKM wrote on 10/23/2017, 9:46 AM

I have Video Saver 8 premium package which includes the video converter and I'm transferring old VHS videos to digital format. When I connect VCR with S-video connection then video being captured is black and white. With composite (yellow connector) connection colors are seen. I read from some old topic that converter is not in practice supporting the s-video connection? Is it possible to have colors with s-video connection? If not then why there even is s-video connection within the device?

I made few test recordings and s-video connection seems to have a bit better image quality. This is why I'm looking for s-video connection instead of composite. Or is it just my imagination that s-video picture is better with VHS than composite..

Comments

terrerad wrote on 10/25/2017, 3:19 PM

Hi,

S-video will definitely give you a better quality capture than composite. I had a similar issue with my device where I only got a B&W signal. This was solved by obtaining a better quality s-video cable which also seemed to have a more secure fit. It sounds like right now your cable is only passing the luminance information and not the chroma.

I hope this helps!

OKM wrote on 10/30/2017, 1:47 PM

Hi,

S-video will definitely give you a better quality capture than composite. I had a similar issue with my device where I only got a B&W signal. This was solved by obtaining a better quality s-video cable which also seemed to have a more secure fit. It sounds like right now your cable is only passing the luminance information and not the chroma.

I hope this helps!

Thank's Terrerad for your reply but I don't think the problem is with the cable. I get color picture to TV-screen with the same cable.. From your comment I interpret that it should be possible to get color picture with Magix converted? In some older discussion it was brought up that the converter would not support S-video completely (only one wire connected instead of two).

johnebaker wrote on 10/30/2017, 2:40 PM

Hi

. . . . I get color picture to TV-screen with the same cable.. . . . .

Check that you are recording to the same TV standard as the source video ie NTSC to NTSC or PAL to PAL.

Trying to record from one standard to the other results in a B&W image only - the Chroma data is not on the same frequency - for PAL, the colour subcarrier is 4.43 MHz above the video carrier, while for NTSC system it is 3.58 MHz above the video carrier.

HTH

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

OKM wrote on 10/31/2017, 2:24 AM

I tried with different standards as well. I live in Finland and we have PAL (B) format. This the one which should be with tapes also..

johnebaker wrote on 10/31/2017, 3:34 AM

Hi

What version of Windows are you running?

If Windows 10 then I would suggest you raise a support ticket here.

It is probable that this is a driver issue for the USB video converter, however, assuming the USB device is the black one, the only drivers I can find are for Windows 7 and earlier and may not run or be installed under Windows 10.

HTH

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

OKM wrote on 10/31/2017, 3:58 AM

Hi,

Yes, I'm running on Windows 10. I already raised a support ticket and hopefully will get some answers from there.

The converter is like shown on the picture of the store where I bought it. It's like box with rounded sides and red side for connectors. Sorry for linking the store page but couldn't find another page easily to show the product. At least the product package mentions Win10 support..

https://www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/product/52129/gjcgd/Magix-Video-Saver-8-Premium-videokaappari-USB-liitantaan

BR

Olli

OKM wrote on 11/3/2017, 6:57 AM

I got first a reply that problem would be on my source device side not supporting the S-video through SCART connection. However when connected to my TV I get the color picture with the same cable and connection. Within the next reply, for my understanding, Magix Support is saying that converter is not basically supporting the S-video connection.. Has someone got picture in color with S-video connection through Magix converter?

terrerad wrote on 11/3/2017, 7:27 PM

Hi Again,

Have you tried using your Magix capture device with VirtualDub (freeware)? It supports S-video capture (YouTube has tutorials) with different units. You can then, of course, edit the captured video with Magix Movie Edit Pro.😀