Upgrade

Brinkley-Hassebrock wrote on 5/25/2022, 9:55 AM

After purchasing Xara designer pro, An upgrade was offered because I was still inside the upgrade period. I did the upgrade. I am now beyond the upgrade period and the software crashed (or just refused to run with error code -59) and the prompt recommended reinstallation. So I went to my account at Magix and only the original purchase version is available to download. Am I not entitled to have the software run at the last version that I was authorized to upgrade to?

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 5/25/2022, 11:03 AM

@Brinkley-Hassebrock

Welcome to the Magix user to user forums.

The Update Service runs for continuous periods of twelve months, requiring it to be repurchased at every anniversary if you wish to maintain and run whatever is the latest version of your software.

If you do not renew the service but later find you need to reinstall the software, the version that will be available to you is the one you originally bought (along with, I believe, any updates to that version which were released during the period your original Update Service was still current). Any upgrades to a later version will NOT be automatically available but require that the Update Service be repurchased.

So, in your case, I believe the version that is shown in your Magix account is the one you originally purchased.

It is of any consolation at all to you, you are not the only user to be "caught out" by this.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Brinkley-Hassebrock wrote on 5/25/2022, 11:52 AM

I bought X17. I upgraded to X18. So that is what I mean, X18 is not available for me to download even though X18 is within the service period and that is the version that I had.

emmrecs wrote on 5/25/2022, 2:20 PM

@Brinkley-Hassebrock

From what you wrote in your first post and subsequently, I gather you bought X17 and, during the period of your twelve months Update Service you were able to upgrade to X18.

I also assume you did NOT renew your Update Service when it expired at the end of that initial twelve months. By doing so, when there is a need to reinstall the software what you have access to is the version you originally purchased, without any upgrades you may have originally received.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

SP. wrote on 5/25/2022, 2:32 PM

@Brinkley-Hassebrock If you are lucky the installer for version 18 is still available in the folder C:\Users\YourUsername\Documents\MAGIX Downloads\Installationsmanager

But the software is largely crippled without an active Update Service. Did you download the complete content catalogue before the service ran out?

Before you uninstall the program please make a backup of the content catalogue cache in the folder C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Xara\XtremePro\[xara version number]\Cache\designs

Brinkley-Hassebrock wrote on 5/25/2022, 2:39 PM

Thanks for the reply. Yes that describes it. I understand what you are saying. I don't think it is a fair way for you to do business, but your reply was clear. My purchase included a time period in which I could upgrade. The upgrade that I qualified for at the time should be just as perpetual as the original version. For that matter, the design content gallery was sold as a feature of the product. No more access to the design gallery either. I understand that you can't just allow upgrades forever for the one time purchase but in my mind, X18 is not an upgrade. It is and update that came with or as a part of the X17's update period that I bought with it. I may do it again later because it is an excellent product, but I'll remember how you did me and let the folks that I recommend the software to know how it really is. It's not really an update/upgrade if you loose it in OS/Disk glitch.

johnebaker wrote on 5/25/2022, 4:33 PM

@Brinkley-Hassebrock

Hi

. . . . I'll remember how you did me and let the folks that I recommend the software to know how it really is. . . . .

No one here 'did you' for anything - this is a user to user forum not Magix Support.

The Update Service terms and conditions when you purchased the program clearly stated, as it does now here, that after one year you will lose access to the Online gallery and, if you re-install, it will revert to the basic version after the Update Service has expired as @SP. has commented.

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Carlton-Munday wrote on 5/25/2022, 7:36 PM

Same thing happened to me. Under the original Xara when you paid money you got to keep what you paid for which included the upgrade. I have at least 9 versions in my account to prove the previous upgrade process. This is why I stopped using Adobe products and any others that went to a cloud based yearly upgrade service.

browj2 wrote on 5/25/2022, 9:52 PM

@Carlton-Munday

Hi,

Under the original Xara when you paid money you got to keep what you paid for which included the upgrade

No, that never happened - you never got an upgrade, updates only to the same version. Prior to the start of the Update Service program with Xara DPX12, you got only the version that you purchased and any patches for that version. You did not receive a new version if one came out within a year of purchase. There was some content that came with Xara and still does, but most of the content you had to purchase separately. I have Xara DPX9, 10 and 11, each paid for individually, each shows up in My Products, and each has a separate serial number. Yes, you do get to keep those indefinitely.

With the advent of the Update Service starting with Xara DPX12, you now had free access to the Online Content for one year and you could download all of it and keep it. This was a huge advantage. As I said, before Xara DPX12, you had to purchase most everything piecemeal. I have some items that I purchased that became freely available under the Update Service program. As well, if a new version came out during the one year Update Service period, you could install it. However, it is an advance on the future that you did not actually pay for, but could keep indefinitely, so long as you don't have to reinstall after the expiry of the Update Service. You were advised prior to the expiry of the one year period, probably many times. If you have to reinstall beyond the one year period, not having paid again, you fall back to the version that was available on the date that you purchased or last paid. That is the version that you paid for.

I have at least 9 versions in my account to prove the previous upgrade process.

That is not proof of the Update Service process. Prior to version 12, you could upgrade for the Upgrade price, but you never received more than one version per payment. You only received patches to the version that you purchased.

With the Update Service, Magix changed the name in one's account to Xara Designer Pro X365.

Under the above, I had activated versions 12 through 16, then 18. They do not show up, only the current version is there because that is the one activated on my two computers. My second last upgrade purchase was for 15 and I got 16 under the Update Service program. Then I did not renew until this year. When I purchased a new computer last year, the installation (equivalent to a reinstallation) gave me 15, not 16.

You keep the same serial number when you pay to renew the Update Service. All Magix does now when you renew is change the date under Update Service to one year from payment. No new serial number is issued.

The rules of the Update Service are very clear and it was and is your responsibility to review them.

This has been discussed and explained many times on this forum and discussed ad nauseum on the Talk Graphics forum. No more needs to be said.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2024 with MM2023 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

Mark-Klapheke wrote on 4/13/2023, 12:28 PM

To say "That never happened" is not any help. I had the exact same thing happen to me. I have three copies of Xara Designer Pro. I updated several of these and it will not appear as "active update service" on any of my installs. It did before.

browj2 wrote on 4/13/2023, 2:20 PM

@Mark-Klapheke

Hi,

Please reread what was said and what I said. You have taken it out of context. Did you ever have a version of Xara DPX that was version 11 or earlier?

My reply was to the previous post in which Carlton-Munday said that "Under the original Xara when you paid money you got to keep what you paid for which included the upgrade." That is not true, never happened. There was no Update Service and one did not get an upgraded version free of charge. If you bought Xara DPX10, when 11 came out, you did not get it unless you paid for it, even if it came out 2 months after purchasing version 10. The Update Service started with version 12. Again, read what I wrote.

As for your problem, I don't understand what you are talking about. Where is this "active update service" actually shown?

If you paid to upgrade when or after a one-year Update Service period expired, then Magix would simply extend your Update Service expiry date in your account as they did to mine. The Serial number never changes - I have had the same one since version 12 as far as I can recall. When I paid last I was on version 16, out of service, and when I paid, version 18 was out and I downloaded, installed and activated it. Then when 19 came out within the one-year period, I simply downloaded, installed and activated it with the same serial number. Version 16 disappeared from the screen below once I activated version 18, then 18 disappeared to be replaced by 19. There is no separate entry in my account for 16 and 18.

If you paid for something else and got a new serial number, then that is something else. It would likely only happen if you purchased new or used a different email address and thus a different account.

So, what did you actually do and what do you mean by "active update service"?

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2024 with MM2023 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos