Updating plugins and VST versions on old Acid projects

khalon wrote on 1/5/2023, 4:59 PM

Hello everyone,

I have recently upgraded some plugins and VSTs (from vst2 to vst3) and would like to make old project load the new versions of these, how do I do?
When I open the projects I get a message saying that the specific plugin/VST has not been found, which is normal because I replaced the old versions with the new ones (which have a different name) in the related paths, but how do I tell Acid that it has to load the new version instead of the old, before the project is loaded?
It's not possible to do that manually after the project is loaded because Acid does not tell, in the error message, to which track the missing plugin/VST was assigned to (it automatically assigns a blank DSL soft synth to each missing VST, but if there are several it can be a difficult task!).

I use ACID pro suite 11 on Win 11.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

sheppo wrote on 1/12/2023, 2:39 PM

hi @khalon

bad news, I'm afraid. I don't think you can do that. Acid looks at the name of the plugin when loading projects. In this instance the name will have changed, at least to include VST3. Whilst you can rename a plugin in the plugin manager I do not believe Acid uses that name when loading projects. This is fairly consistent with every other DAW I have used...

It gets worse. Even if you had both sets of VST2 and VST3 plugins loaded you wouldn't be able to swap a plugin in your project for the newer version. Instead you would need to add the VST3 alternative, copy across any settings, and then for automation you would need to set up automation for the VST3 plugin, then using the envelope tool on the toolbar click an envelope, press CTRL+A to copy all the automation points, then select the automation envelope for the VST3 plugin, then paste the automation.

All of a sudden it's looking like a huge job, right?

This is why most producers will render their projects tracks to wav when finished, and just remove the issue of plugins for archival purposes. The other alternative is just install VST2 and VST3 alternatives every time installing a plugin - by default they get installed to different default locations anyway. Both options aren't ideal.

emmrecs wrote on 1/16/2023, 11:25 AM

@tungte

Your post here has been hidden because, a) it is irrelevant to this thread, and b) it is a duplicate of what you have posted elsewhere.

Please do not create duplicate posts or post to threads whose original question is very different to what you want to know.

Thank you.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Samplitude Pro X7 Suite, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam