Update service/Xara vs Magix

Louis-Dow wrote on 5/4/2024, 11:40 AM

I'm very confused. I'm getting a notice that my "update service" is expiring. However, when I click on the link it doesn't lead me to anyplace useful. I tried going on the web, but I'm also confused about Xara vs Magix and haven't found anything helpful via that route. Do I even need this? How do I find out how much (whoever) is charging to update the service? Is this an annual subscription? In the past, and I've been a Xara user since Corel, I've always maintained the most current version of the software, back when there was a yearly update. Then Magix came into the picture and the annual update ended and who knows what else has happened. I use Xara almost every day and for a variety of tasks and I continue to be happy with the present software (Xara Designer Pro X 19.0.1.65946 DL x64 Feb 7 2023), so far it's done everything I've wanted it to do. Can someone explain to me if Xara is now a part of Magix, are they two separate operations, who's now responsible for the software?
Many thanks!

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 5/4/2024, 12:42 PM

@Louis-Dow

Hi

Magix no longer sell Xara products and presumably the 'update service', these are now back with Xara.

You can update the program to the latest version, the Magix versions were 1 or 2 versions behind those of Xara, on the Xara website, there is also a discount for moving back to Xara - see the banner at the top of the Xara home page.

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

SP. wrote on 5/4/2024, 1:37 PM

@Louis-Dow I highly recommend you download the complete online content catalog inside Xara as soon as possible and move it to a save backup location. You'll no longer have access to it, after your service is expired. The only option is to subscribe at Xara.com, which is very expensive (about $10-20 per month).

Make also sure you have a backup of the latest patch because you cannot redownload it after the service expired. For this, install your version of Xara on another computer and download the latest update. Before installing the update, copy the file C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Temp\mxupdate.exe to a backup location. After installing, the file will be automatically deleted, so you have to copy it first.