Uninstall Magix Editpro 15 Plus without losing Magix Editpro 14 Plus

soundtracks wrote on 4/29/2009, 12:35 PM
I have Magix Editpro 14 Plus on my machine. I downloaded Magix  Edit Pro 15 Plus. I received a disk to re-install Magix Edit Pro 15 Plus because there were problems with serial numbers during the initial download days. So the product could not be registered. (I down loaded the minute the program became available on a Friday.)

My Question:

If I uninstall Magix Edit Pro 15 completely, from the registry and everything, it will most likely affect Edit Pro 14. What is the procedure for uninstalling Edit Pro 15 Plus Download completely (clean uninstall) in such a way that Edit Pro 14 remains functional? Or should I clean everything off? Will I lose my Edit Pro movie files? 

Comments

siglersmalz wrote on 4/29/2009, 3:18 PM
I'd say the safest way to go is to backup all your project files and completely uninstall both versions, then fresh install MEP 14.  You can then put your project files back in place if they are removed during the uninstall.

Good luck,

Tim
ralftaro wrote on 4/30/2009, 5:41 AM
Hi,

Every version of Movie Edit Pro is a completely independent application that doesn't interact with another Movie Edit Pro version that might already be installed on the system (other than maybe sharing activated codecs). A new version is not an update in terms of just installing/replacing files in the existing program directory. It is really an independent application and should have its own program directory. So, unless you forced the installation of version 15 into the directory of the existing version 14 (thus basically producing a corrupted installation), the uninstallation of one of the versions wouldn't have any effect on the other one.

I hope this info helps.

siglersmalz wrote on 5/1/2009, 1:28 PM

Hi again,

You are asking what is really the actual question; how do you know?  As usual, Ralftaro has given excellent input with his answer, which is technically correct.  The different versions of MEP are independant.  But, as you noticed, there are shared registry entries and shared "common" folders.

While I don't want to sound like I'm disagreeing with Ralftaro, the only way to know for sure is to uninstall both.  It depends on your degree of comfort.  You can uninstall MEP 15 and you should be OK, as Ralftaro has indicated.

On the other hand, if you are a purist (read: paranoid), uninstall both programs.  I tend to not trust uninstall programs because they never truely uninstall.  For me, Tim the Purist (read: paranoid), I find reinstalling a software program to not be that big of a deal and it feels safer.

It's your call...

Tim