Unable to open new pages in an established website

gillman wrote on 12/13/2020, 10:57 AM

I recently created new web pages and they are not working right. I get a 401 error when I click on the website's navigation button to view the page. All other established pages still work. I went in and checked the working pages and made sure the settings matched the new pages with the pull-down boxes to link each page correctly.

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 12/13/2020, 1:25 PM

@gillman

Hi

Check that the new pages names do not contain any 'illegal characters', restrict the characters used to:

• a-z - convention is to use lower case
  • digits 0 - 9
  • hyphens and underscores
  • spaces can be used - however is often not recommended - convention is to substitute the under score for a space

Otherwise, if the site is not a private one, can post the URL for us to have a look.

John EB
Forum Moderator

Last changed by johnebaker on 12/13/2020, 1:25 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

gillman wrote on 12/14/2020, 7:39 AM

What if the text and background was created in another program and saved to a JPEG (merged together) and then imported back into Xara to act as navigation button? Would Xara still recognize the text? The merged text and background button reads - The Cash & gillman Project

techcop50 wrote on 12/15/2020, 5:30 AM

I have been updating my church website almost daily since the Covid began. It is critical to maintaining and communicating with our parishioners. Starting yesterday, I cannot connect to upload/update pages. My site is hosted on Magix-Online:

www.staaiken.org

I've even tried using WebFTP from the MagixOnline page. I was able to do one index.htm upload, but it really screwed  up the formatting in the process. I might mention, it took me dozens of attempts to even get the FTP page to load my folders. I've reloaded the free software that comes with the contract, it won't work either\. When I try to upload from the program (ver. 17), it shows a status of processing for several seconds then nothing.

gillman wrote on 12/16/2020, 9:45 AM

The above response from John was very helpful and I finally got it to upload to A2 Hosting. Thanks John!