Tyros 2 keyboard recording

Richard-Docherty wrote on 4/17/2024, 7:23 AM

Can you help me please?

I bought Magix premium 2024. I have a Tyros 2 keyboard which I plugin so I can record my digital work station as well as the instrument loops in magix. When recording the midi for my keyboard some sounds record okay but others it records different sounds I get mixed sounds when trying to record the direct sound from my tyros to the magix interface. I hope this makes sense, any help would be appreciated settings or something to change this

Comments

SP. wrote on 4/17/2024, 7:52 AM

@Richard-Docherty I'm trying to understand your problem. I suspect, you record MIDI notes and also audio output of your keyboard, correct?

Which one is recorded incorrectly? The MIDI data or the audio recording?

Richard-Docherty wrote on 4/17/2024, 8:00 AM

Yeh so I’m recording midi notes from my keyboard. If I select voice say for example from my keyboard and record this via midi record on magix, this records fine. If I play a pre recorded sound from the keyboard it records fine. However, if I select multi pads from the keyboard, the sound is not the same when midi recording, it records a total different sound and is at a very high pitched fast pace. Some voice styles also do this. I was hoping that all sounds I get from my Tyros could just be recorded as midi and the sound reflects exactly what the keyboard is playing, thank you for replying to me

SP. wrote on 4/17/2024, 8:12 AM

@Richard-Docherty The problem is, that your computer doesn't have the same sounds available as your Tyros. Most computers only have a standard MIDI Wavetable Synth which usually doesn't sound good.

How is your Tyros connected to your computer? Usually, if you have a MIDI output available at your computer's soundcard or MIDI interface you can simply connect this output with a MIDI cable to your Tyros (MIDI input). Then select the MIDI output in the Music Maker program settings. If you now play your project, all MIDI data should get set through the MIDI output cable and the sound should come out of your keyboard.

If you connect the audio output of your keyboard with the audio input of your computer's sound card, you can also record it back into your Music Maker project.

Richard-Docherty wrote on 4/17/2024, 8:27 AM

It’s strange as some sounds from the tyros record fine but others don’ so I thought is it the magix software interfering with the signal or sounds being communicated. I have the keyboard connected via usb midi cable to my laptop, then I have a headphone Jack cable plugged into my laptop to the keyboard, I set the midi settings to my digital work station via magix. It just doesn’t seem to communicate it all. A new computer? Or change cables to connect the keyboard maybe?

SP. wrote on 4/17/2024, 8:47 AM

@Richard-Docherty For optimal sound settings please navigate to File > Settings > Program Settings > Audio/MIDI. Here you need to select an ASIO driver, for example the Music Maker ASIO driver. Next, click on the Advanced button next to the driver selection to open the driver settings. Here you can select your audio input and audio output and set the buffer size to something reasonable like 512 samples. Increase it to 1024 or even 2048 samples if your computer struggles.

Are you using a USB MIDI cable like this? https://www.thomann.de/de/esi_midimate_ex.htm

Or do you have simply connected your keyboard with a normal USB cable to your computer? If you use a normal USB cable, then it depends on the software of your keyboard. Usually, it should install a MIDI input device (this device should be listed under Audio-, Video- and Game-Controllers in the Windows device manager), but maybe it also installed a MIDI Out device and an audio playback and audio recording device.

Also, you might need to enable to send or to receive MIDI synchronization inside the Music Maker Arrangement settings and on your keyboard, if you want to include your keyboard into the project.

SP. wrote on 4/17/2024, 9:04 AM

@Richard-Docherty No problem, that's a normal USB device cable. But in my experience, this will not send MIDI data back from the computer to your keyboard, except your keyboard has also installed a MIDI out device into your Windows system. I don't know if a Tyros keyboard will do this. These cables usually also don't send audio back and forth. The MIDI devices I know, which use the same cable, only send MIDI data to the computer and that's it.

SP. wrote on 4/17/2024, 9:19 AM

@Richard-Docherty Ideally, you want to use an external USB audio interface with ASIO drivers and MIDI outputs and outputs.

You connect the audio output of your keyboard to the audio input of the interface. You connect the MIDI output of your keyboard to the MIDI input of the audio interface and the MIDI input of your keyboard to the MIDI output of the audio interface. You connect the speakers and/or headphones to the audio interface.

The audio interface is connected via USB to the computer. You open the Music Maker program settings and select the ASIO driver of the audio interface as your audio driver and you select the MIDI input and output of the audio interface as the MIDI input and output of Music Maker.

A setup like this shouldn't give you any problems.

Richard-Docherty wrote on 4/17/2024, 9:35 AM

Okay thank you for your help that’s great advice. Ive been baffled by it. So the midi cable you recommended, this would be the better cable to use with an audio interface also connected laptop to computer?

SP. wrote on 4/17/2024, 9:55 AM

@Richard-Docherty No. A MIDI cable looks like this: https://www.thomann.de/de/the_sssnake_sk366-2_blue_midi_kabel.htm

One cable for the input, one for the output.

A mono or stereo audio cable would be something like this: https://www.thomann.de/de/the_sssnake_sk3613_kabel.htm https://www.thomann.de/de/the_sssnake_spp2015.htm

An audio interface would be something like this: https://www.thomann.de/de/focusrite_scarlett_4i4_4th_generation.htm

Richard-Docherty wrote on 4/17/2024, 10:29 AM

Okay thanks a million for your help today, I will try this method, many thanks 🙏

SP. wrote on 4/22/2024, 12:35 PM

@Richard-Docherty I saw your post in the Sound Forge topic.

I’m still struggling with connecting my tyros 2 keyboard to get all the functions the keyboard has, I bought an audio interface. Plugged in midi out from keyboard to midi in on interface. Plugged midi in from keyboard to midi out interface. Tried Jack cables from interface to keyboard, I get sound from keyboard but still no full features of the tyros. Since following this I can’t get sounds from the vst instruments now, so frustrating, any help?

I'm not sure what you mean that you can't get "full features out the Tyros".

To get sounds from VST instruments make sure you have installed and selected the ASIO driver of your audio interface.