Comments

emmrecs wrote on 7/20/2019, 4:06 AM

@Bruce-Cunningham

Welcome to the Magix forums.

I would strongly suspect that this because of some change made to Win 10 by one of its recent updates. I know other users have experienced problems running "2014" versions of other Magix software under Win 10.

Which exact build of Win 10 do you have? My recollection is that these problems have started to appear since the 1703 Windows 10 update, or perhaps earlier.

Unfortunately your only option to continue to use PS is likely to be to buy a more recent version of the software.

HTH

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Bruce-Cunningham wrote on 7/20/2019, 5:26 AM

I am surely not going to buy a newer version when I paid 100 dollars for this, and you no longer support this. You would rather attempt to force me to pay another 100 dollars or more. It will never happen. How long before that one gets prematurely outdated to force me to spend even more money. Experiences like this are the reason I am so weary about buying software from companies. Who wants to spend money on products one has to worry abuot not being able to use because reasons. No thank you

emmrecs wrote on 7/20/2019, 5:40 AM

@Bruce-Cunningham

Please be aware that I am NOT a Magix employee!! Although a forum moderator I am actually just another user, like you.

I don't think anyone is "forcing" you to spend "another 100 dollars or more" for an updated version but both PhotoStory AND Windows 10 have gone through several iterations since you purchased the version you have. It is not reasonable to expect that all your software will continue to work flawlessly, whatever changes Microsoft might decide to make to the Windows operating system.

I don't know the price in dollars but this page shows the Update price, admittedly in UK Pounds Sterling, as £34.99, so something less than $40??

Why not download the Free trial version (from that same page) and at least give it a try?

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

johnebaker wrote on 7/20/2019, 5:53 AM

@Bruce-Cunningham

Hi

. . . . and you no longer support this . . .

This is a user to user forum not Magix support.

Most software companies do not provide support for software that is 5+ years old - usually 2 generations prior to the current version is the most common, there are some exceptions where once you stop 'subscribing' the software ceases to work, in the case of Photostory 2014 you are now outside the support period for that version.

There are 2 options to solve the issue you are having:

1. Upgrade to the latest version - in which case you will get upgrades to the latest version every year while the subscription is maintained - if you stop the subscription at any time the version you are at will continue working, however you will not get further upgrades.

OR

2. Help us to help you by answering the questions you have been asked - to repeat and add to @emmrecs question:

a. What is your Windows 10 version number? See this topic for how to obtain this.

b. Which Anti-virus/Firewall software are you using?

John EB

Forum Moderator

Last changed by johnebaker on 7/20/2019, 5:53 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Bruce-Cunningham wrote on 7/20/2019, 7:51 AM

Most companies do support their soft ware and I have games that are 15 years old that still run and get updated to run on new systems. I am not naive enough to believe this nonsense. You are just lazy and complacent. I will never buy your product as you merely confirmed what I suspected all along. You will not support your programs. It is no wonder people told me to stay away from magix products.

Bruce-Cunningham wrote on 7/20/2019, 7:55 AM

If you cannot offer me advice on how to fix this problem then do not answer my question. I didn't put this up for people to tell me what they don't know, but for what they do that may help me. what is your major malfunction? Are you saying I cannot ask for help on the forums here? Whats wrong with you.

emmrecs wrote on 7/20/2019, 8:54 AM

@Bruce-Cunningham

I am sorry you have reacted in the manner shown by your most recent posts when both John and I have

1. made clear to you that we are fellow-users, not Magix staff
  2. explained that it is perfectly normal for software manufacturers to discontinue support of older versions of their products. The fact that you allude to games that are 15 years old that still run does not alter the facts of the situation with respect to Magix software. It is almost certainly not economical, or perhaps even possible, for Magix to modify old products in order to maintain their full operation under an operating system which has drastically changed over the years since both said software and operating system were originally released..
  3. asked you for specific additional information which would help us to potentially offer you advice about how to remedy your problem. You seem to have chosen to ignore those requests and instead have become abusive. This is in direct contravention of section 1 of the Community Rules (to be found at the foot of every forum page).

One final comment: you wrote

If you cannot offer me advice on how to fix this problem then do not answer my question

We did offer advice, based on our experience of and knowledge of using various Magix products; you chose to reject it and become abusive. Hence this thread is locked; your continued access to the forums is conditional on you accepting that if you ask for help you must be prepared to at least consider the suggestions offered and must not abuse fellow members.

Jeff
Forum Moderator