Travel Maps Poor Quality

Archie-Mac wrote on 7/27/2023, 10:28 AM

Hi all,

I'm new to this software so be gentle with me :-)

When I export a travel map the result is blurry especially the text. I've played around with zoom levels and exporting to WMV/MP4 . at all the available resolutions but the results are the same. I have also tried different maps. See pics. I have tried rendering in Vegas Pro 19 to check that the final result is what I am actually seeing in Vegas. Unfortunately it is! My project is set to 'Best Full'.

Any advice gratefully received!

Comments

browj2 wrote on 7/27/2023, 1:43 PM

@Archie-Mac

Hi,

Your maps look fine to me.

Since you posted under PhotoStory, I presume that you are having the video returned to PhotoStory and then exporting it from there using "Best Full."

First off, what is the resolution that you are using in PhotoStory? Check under Project Settings, shortcut E. If you are not using 4K, then the default would likely be full HD, 1920x1080. If you want a higher resolution than the default, you would need to use 4K.

Next, in Travel Maps, under the Finish tab, change the resolution to 4K (or at worst, FullHD) as shown below. You probably have the default meaning "current resolution (1850x1041)."

Once back in PhotoStory, instead of using the Export button at the upper right of the screen, go to File, Export, Video as MPEG-4. On the presets screen, check the box on the second line for Display All and the open the dropdown on the first line. Select MP4 something that goes with whatever your project settings are. If 4K, then select MP4 UltraHD 3840x2160 and the frame rate that goes with your project - 29.97 if you are in North America, 25 if you are in Europe.

Does this help with any resolution issues?

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2024 with MM2023 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

Archie-Mac wrote on 7/28/2023, 11:37 AM

Thanks for the reply John.

I am rendering the map out to a video file directly from Travel Maps. (as described above I have tried all possible formats/resolutions) and then importing that into Magix Vegas 19. No involvement of PhotoStory at all. I should add that it looks just as poor if played with Windows Media Player.

It looks great onscreen, but to me those rendered samples look like I need a trip to the opticians, particularly the place names. 😄 I'll take your advice and try exporting to PhotoStory to see if it makes a difference. I used PictraMaps (online) for this a couple of years ago and their renders look exactly like they look onscreen - I was expecting better from Magix! 😕

browj2 wrote on 7/28/2023, 1:58 PM

@Archie-Mac

Hi,

Don't bother with PhotoStory. I only mentioned that because of what you said, "My project is set to 'Best Full' which I assumed was PhotoStory, not Vegas.

Can you export a short 4K Travel Maps project and make the original available on a file sharing site, like Dropbox?

Also, save the project file, .mxgeo and make that available so that others can try it to see if we get the same result.

John CB

Last changed by browj2 on 7/28/2023, 2:06 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2024 with MM2023 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos