Transfering miniDV_ no audio, only video

Laszlo-Farkas wrote on 3/3/2021, 9:05 AM

Hello,

I can't get audio when transfering mini DVs. To be honest I had problem even with the setup as well as the system doesn't see the camcorder when I go on the miniDv (digital) root setting up the new project. The only way I was able to start was the analog root with S-video cable but the audio doesn't come thrue. I tried it with scart as well.

Thanks in advance.

My setup:

1.)Conexant
MAGIX Video converter 3
7.0.122.72, 6-8-2015

2.) PC windows 10 Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042

System Type x64

i5-2310 Prcessor 2.9 Ghz

16 GB DDR3-SDRAM memory

GeForce GT530 with 1 GB dedicated memory

HDD 1.5TB

3.0 USB

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 3/3/2021, 10:42 AM

@Laszlo-Farkas

S-Video connections carry no audio, they are video signal only.

If you need to use S-Video you must be also able to connect a separate, independent audio feed from your camera to your PC. Without this, there will be no audio in. Can you connect any audio outputs on the camera to the audio inputs of the Conexant convertor?

I'm not sure what you mean when you say the system doesn't see the camcorder. The camera is "digital" but its connection to the convertor must be analogue, I think, because that is what the convertor expects.

I do transfers from mini DV to computer fairly regularly, but, because I also use different hardware - I have an internal PCI card which can also use a Firewire connection to the camera - I don't experience this problem that you have. And, because of the different connection type, the signal coming from the camera remains in the digital domain.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Laszlo-Farkas wrote on 3/3/2021, 12:03 PM

Hi Jeff, thanks for the quick reply.

I tried to connect the audio plugs (red and white) but nothing happened...

I'm not sure what you mean when you say the system doesn't see the camcorder.

When I start the new project with the Magix software I have 3 options:

mini DV, still digital camera and analog device

When I click mini DV, in the next window I'm supposed to see and click on my camcorder otherwise I can't do the next step....

...and there there is nothing to choose from. I guess the system doesn't recognize it.

It leaves me the other path which is the analog where I used the s-video + audio cable but the audio doesn't come through.

johnebaker wrote on 3/3/2021, 1:50 PM

@Laszlo-Farkas

Hi

. . . . When I click mini DV, . . . . there there is nothing to choose from . . . .

There won't be - as @emmrecs when using the video converter with Composite or S-Video and Audio output of you camera you recording from an analog source.

MiniDV which requires a FireWire card in your computer and a Firewire cable to connect your camera to the card.

If the S-Video audio is not working try using the composite cable you should have for the camera - it has Yellow, Red and White connectors on one end, connect this to the video converter and select the Composite input in Rescue Your Video tapes.

HTH

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Laszlo-Farkas wrote on 3/3/2021, 4:32 PM

If the S-Video audio is not working try using the composite cable you should have for the camera - it has Yellow, Red and White connectors on one end, connect this to the video converter and select the Composite input in Rescue Your Video tapes

Hi,

I tried it it with the composites only as well. It wouldn't work.