Tool tips not displaying properly

TTT880 wrote on 10/1/2019, 8:27 PM

Hi,

I have had an issue with Acid Pro 8 since install, where the 'tool tips' don't display correctly (or at all) when mousing over the icons.

It seems to be fairly random - sometimes they pop up, and other times, no matter how many times I hold the mouse over the icon or for how long, no tool tip will come up. As a new user, this is making it very difficult to learn the software.

For reference, I'm running Acid Pro 8 on the following:

Windows 7 / i5 4690k / 16GB RAM / GTX 970 / 4K monitor (I'm thinking the resolution is the most likely culprit as I've had issues with other programs scaling in the past, but I can't find any option to change the scaling in Acid Pro - is there one available)?

Thanks!

Comments

sheppo wrote on 10/2/2019, 12:27 PM

I'm only on 1440p. With OS-level scaling set to 100%, or 200%, or anything in between I still always see tooltip mouse overs. I'm on Windows 10 1903, build 18362.10022 (insider fast ring), so you could feasibly be seeing an issue in the none insider build.

maybe someone else can confirm whether this happening?

TTT880 wrote on 10/3/2019, 6:27 PM

Thanks for the input, Sheppo.

EDIT: Actually, since it looks like you're a mod, would you mind adding something like '+ VST/synth setting reset' to the title of my thread, so people can see the full topic, given the rest of my novel below? :)

It would be good if anyone else can chime in if they have similar issues.

This isn't actually the biggest problem I have with the program at the moment - I posted in another thread about all the synths/VST settings resetting to defaults randomly by themselves. Not sure if it's related or not. The program also occasionally crashes, but the synth thing is the real problem right now, as it's basically a complete non-starter at this point. I really hope they can figure out a fix for this ASAP, otherwise I might have to request a refund.

Just for the sake of ruling out my own negligence or lack of understanding as a cause: you don't have to save the synth settings independently of the project, or click any special 'lock settings' buttons when you set one up to your liking for a midi track, right? I.e., for example, I currently have 5 MIDI tracks set up in the early stages of a project, as follows:

1. DLS Softsynth (piano-type tune line)

2. Vita Sampler (percussion)

3. DN-e1 (intermittent bass synth)

4. DN-e1 (copy of track 1's output, but using DN-e1 and a different synth sound and some changed notes)

5. DN-e1 (was supposed to be something resembling intermittent synth 'horns,' but has since changed to random cymbals and snares and god knows what else - seems to choose a random setting every time I load it or change anything). I should mention Track 1 has also changed to silence at this point - haven't bothered to check what it got set to.

Am I missing a 'save' button or anything? I understand that you can save the synth settings for future use in a separate save file, but does Acid Pro 8 automatically 'lock' the settings for that track by itself once you exit the synth window and start working on another track or VST? It seemed to work like that when I first exited and saved the project, but then things got all jumbled.

I should mention that the MIDI tracks are numbered 1-5, while the 'master' controls that appeared beside them in the mixing console when I set up the synths for each one are numbered 1 2 3 5 6. There's no '4.' It's like one of the tracks didn't get a 'master' panel in the mixing console, but got assigned the next number up. This leads me to believe I'm possibly missing some fundamental step in the process, but the random crashes and tooltip issues have me leaning more towards it all being just a bug issue. Did I confuse one of the VSTs by copy+pasting the piano roll from track 1 to track 4, even though track 4 was set to a different VST/synth settings?

I'd really appreciate any help anyone can offer :D

TTT880 wrote on 10/3/2019, 11:56 PM

Just played around with it some more to see if there was anything obvious I might be missing.

I got everything set up again with some test synth settings. I have 6 MIDI tracks, and 6 soft synths 'inserted' in the mixing console (although these are numbered 1-2-3-5-6-7, due to that missing one). All are on MIDI channel 2. All the tracks were set to a different soft synth, as required.

I checked to see that none of the tracks were armed for recording before saving and exiting. Automation was set to 'Automation Write (Touch)' on each track header (the default), although I don't have any envelopes set up anyway.

I saved the project, and closed the program.

On startup 10 minutes later, the following had occurred:

*Synth 6 (a DN-e1) had reverted to "Space Flute," with random parameters.

*Synth 7 (also a DN-e1) had reverted to "Ride," with random parameters.

*The rest of the synths had stayed as set before saving.

I have opened and closed the program a few times since, to see if they'd change to other random synths, but they seem to be set on those same ones now, regardless of opening and closing (Space Flute and Ride).

I just tried to add another track with a piano synth, and added some pitch bend to the ends of one long note that spanned around 2 bars at 80bpm. When I played the loop back on the 'clip properties' piano roll, it played as intended. When I closed that, and played it back on the main screen, there was no pitch bend at all - just a plain tone. I have absolutely zero idea what's going on with this program, but I don't think it's just my inexperience at this point. It's unusable.

Not sure if this info will help with the debugging, but hopefully this will give someone an idea.