to have the music fade when presenter speaks

virtuozosDOTcom wrote on 7/28/2009, 8:38 AM
I have a musical backing track over the length of my video. Then on a different track I put little blocks of text whenever I want the presenter to say something.  I want the music track to fade down to say 50% of the original volume every time the presenter speaks and fade back up, once the voice block finishes. Until now I've been cutting the music track in bits and doing all this fading manually, but surely there's a trick to have this done automatically. Can anybody tell me how? Thanks

Comments

commixv wrote on 7/28/2009, 4:56 PM
Hi,

there is no way to do this automatically.
By hand is the only (and best) way :-)

greetings
NoTurning wrote on 7/28/2009, 10:47 PM
Hi,
What you want to do is called ducking - I'm surprised MEP does not include this feature since other Magix products do. Try searching the help file for ducking and ensure it's not a feature included. If not you can always do your audio work in a program like Music Maker and then bring it into MEP and sync it with your video.
Justin
ralftaro wrote on 7/29/2009, 9:34 AM
Hi,

Movie Edit Pro's audio recording function does offer the ducking that Justin mentions, but that would require that you're actually doing the voice-over recording on your system and you're willing to do it all over again, as you have obviously already performed the recording. In the future, you could try to take advantage of the ducking. (It's an advanced setting in the audio recording dialog.)

I might still be able to suggest another improvement to your workflow, which might lead to better results and just make the whole procedure easier: Instead of chopping up the audio track into separate objects and adjusting the level on each object, just use the drawing mouse mode tool to "draw" the volume curve into the audio track. This way you get maximum control over the behavior of your audio track and smoother transitions.

I hope this helps.

gibsoncustom wrote on 8/1/2009, 12:15 PM
MEP does have a way to do what you want. Select the curve mouse tool then click, or double click, the volume line in the soundtrack near to where you want the fade to start (Don't drag the mouse or you'll get a lot of control nodes). This highlights the volume level line and creates a control node. Select the object mouse tool and click the volume line 3 more times. You can now drag the middle two nodes down to fade. You can adjust the position of the fade by dragging the nodes left or right.
virtuozosDOTcom wrote on 8/1/2009, 12:38 PM
Cool, guys, thanks that solved it for me!

PS: I'm new to Magix, but I'm starting to like it!!  ;-)