To be avoided?

rex-goldsmith wrote on 3/22/2017, 6:52 AM

Version 8 of Rescue your Videotapes on a Windows 10 pc where video capture works, but the rubbish video editing s/w doesn't allow export of videos (yes,yes only as .wma, I got that guys) to local pc OR dvd-r. Real winner product - and support ticket answered after some days with canned "here's a later driver, try this". After my first ever BSOD with Windows 10 due to Magix's latest driver, I restored back to original driver. But the problem isn't the driver for the video capture (<tap tap tap>, are you listening magix support?! edit - it seems they are...), but the video editing software. Updated ticket TWO weeks ago with info and have still yet to be graced with a response from magix support.

This appears to be a known problem with at least two other mentions within this forum of this issue (back in 2011 and earlier). Yet by 2017 and version 8 magix struggles with this still? And this helpful forum suggests "a classic for support" or "I don't actually use Rescue your videotapes but I use (some other s/w from magix) and it works fine".

Yeah, avoid this product. Am updating as many local resellers "rate me" sites as possible with messages to avoid this product - but I have already been beaten to it by other reviewers :-)

Update 28 March 2017. Magix support responded a day after I posted the above with "the reason that this error pops up is that your current version of windows does not support Windows Media Player". It was then recommended that I download the trial version of Video Easy (as it supports mp4 export) and see if that worked - which it did. Note that the trial version is only good for 30 days and will only allow exports of 3 minutes max. In addition the trial version will not allow registering (or use) of the mpeg2 and mpeg4 codecs. As a goodwill gesture Magix upgraded my trial version to a full product licence.

So for anyone googling their way here for the same issue, then:

a. Product doesn't work out-of-the-box with Windows 10 (regardless that the box states Windows 10 as supported, as well as the same on the magix.com webpage for Video Saver version 8 when it was being sold?! - hold the presses it seems that Magix has removed this product from market? Can't seem to find it anymore on their magix.com or magix.de pages)

b. Talk nicely to Magix support and ask for a full product licence for Video Easy

c. In addition, while waiting for Magix support I did find another way on my Windows10 pc to capture and edit videos using the Magix Video Saver/Rescue USB converter that was included. This required downloading AVS Video recorder (and editing suite) and VideoPad Video Editor. The AVS editing suite, while "free", is limited to 3 minutes of video editing/export. But the companion AVS Video Recorder s/w recognised and was able to use the Magix Video Saver/Rescue USB converter/video capture from my VHS player - and best of all it saved the captured video in mpeg2 format without any limitations! None of this mucking around with .mvx. I was then able to use VideoPad Video Editor to edit and export to .mp4. A lot of faffing around, but then job done.

Comments

No comments yet - be the first to write a comment...