Stick to Top Popup Menu

Victor-Rivera wrote on 12/22/2019, 8:06 AM

I'm using Web Designer Premium v16.3.0.57723 and I'm having problems with a popup menu on a single page website using anchors. I have 2 issues:

1. The menu functions properly with 'sticky' turned off but if I apply either 'sticky' or 'stick at top' the menu won't work. I've tried placing the anchors on different layers but that doesn't resolve the problem.

2. The 'close' (x) menu button is set to the same URL as the page but rather than closing the menu it returns a 404.

The URL is: http://monicavoiceover.com

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 12/22/2019, 8:43 AM

@Victor-Rivera

Hi

For item 2 you have a disparity on the URL you are linking back to

home page is: http://monicavoiceover.com/menu.htm

link is to: http://monicavoiceover.com/index.htm

The home page of the website should always be called index.htm (in the case of Web Designer)

If a visitor to your site just types in monicavoiceover.com or www.monicavoiceover.com they will get a '404 Page not found' error.

With no specific page listed in the URL the web server automatically looks for index.htm or index.html, plus a few others which are not relevant for Web Designer, and send that to the visitor.

For item 1 fixing 2 may also fix item 1 - if not which single page template did you start with?

HTH

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 12/22/2019, 8:44 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Victor-Rivera wrote on 12/22/2019, 11:43 AM

Hi John,

Thanks for your observation on the URL disparities. I had intended to change the URL to index.htm but I forgot to do so - it was titled menu.htm in order for me to keep track of the 4 or 5 iterations I'm working with in order to find a solution. I edited the URL in my original post reflecting the renaming of the file to index.htm.

Item 2 is a little more complicated than I stated but perhaps I'm overthinking it. As an example, assuming the menu popup could be made to stick, if one were to click on 'contact' the anchor would take it down to the last item on the 1 page website. Closing the menu using the 'X' is linked to the 'home' anchor and would take the user all the way to the top instead of remaining on the 'contact' area of the page. Granted, one could close the menu window by clicking anywhere outside the menu window and remain in the 'contact' portion of the website. I tried JS and jQuery but the scripts I wrote causes freeze ups on iOS devices. If no one has a solution I'll probably leave it as is. The menu popup isn't a template - it's something I threw together.

Regarding the 'sticky', changing the URL has no impact on its inability to stick to the top of the browser window. I can make it work using CSS and jQuery if I hand-code using HTML5 but I wanted to avoid a lot of extra work by using Xara Web Designer. I'd like to upload the index_htm_file folder and the index.htm file to my post but I couldn't figure out how to do so. If these files were available perhaps someone could figure out a solution...

Thanks!