Standard image sizes and resolution for photo slideshow?

joeyelf wrote on 10/22/2009, 4:38 PM
Project Photo Slideshow for display on PC and TV.
I am creating a business slideshow to hand out to customers, so my final media must have versatility and not be bound to any one format.
1- Is there one particular output format that I should create that would play on any medium PC or TV?
2- When editing the photos (PS) is there a standard image size and resolution that I can use that would display properly on PC or TV regardless of screen ratio?
I guess I'm looking for a middle ground in all this...does it exist?
I have searched the web but there doesn't seem to be one answer that is the same. They all seem dependant on just for high def, just for widescreen 16:9, just for 4:3 etc. Is it possible to have one that will work for everything?
I would like to end up with something that is a small enough file to put onto the business card-cut cd or dvd?

Comments

Clevo wrote on 10/23/2009, 5:25 PM
This answer is probably too late for you but it might help others.

PC's can play just about any format of video as long as the PC has the correct codecs.

Newer DVD players connected to TV's can play a small variety but ALL DVD players can play TV standard DVD format. It is dependant on PAL or NTSC standards.

Your safest standard to play on ALL TV DVD or PC DVD is therefore the TV DVD standard.  This is your middle ground and we are talking about Standard definition in either 4:3 or 16:9

With regarsd to image size, there is no standard as you should get goot results as long as your photo frame size is the same or larger than the DVD standard frame size...especially if you plan to pan or zoom on your photo stills. DPI minimum will be 79dpi but go for something like 150dpi and above but not too high max 300dpi otherwise you are making the PC work harder. Make sure though that all your photos have been nicely white balanced but this bit is not strictly necessary