Sitemaps

dawng wrote on 3/20/2013, 10:36 AM

With google webmaster tools, sitemaps must be an .xml file.  Is there any way to save certain pages with a different extension?

When I first published this new site I did the work with Dreamweaver which saved all pages with an .html extension.  With Xara it will only save as .htm without giving me a choice.  When I changed over to this new design from Xara, google is convinced all the pages are gone now because it can't find any .html files.

Should I save the files as usual and then rename them once they are uploaded to the server?  If I do this then I need to change all the navigation bar coding as well.  Afraid to try this before knowing it will work so I don't blow up the entire site and have to start over :p

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 3/21/2013, 3:31 AM

Hi

Google is looking for an xml file which contains the sitemap details in the xml 'language' / format.  The current sitemap file contains references to the html files which are no longer there, having being replaced by the htm files

Web Designer can generate the sitemap for you - quote page 167 of the installed pdf Web Designer MX Premium manual:

. . . . If you want a sitemap generated for your website, or if you want your site included in the Xara
User Gallery, you need to enter the full URL of your published website in the Website URL
field. See the Publish tab help for information on sitemaps
. . . .

HTH

John

Last changed by johnebaker on 3/21/2013, 3:31 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

dawng wrote on 3/21/2013, 10:02 AM

Hi John,

Thanks much for pointing out that little bit of info.....hadn't explored enough to see how to get listed as a user.  I did insert my url as suggested.

I saw the "website.xml" file inside a subfolder, but uploaded it directly to the directory and did not include the subfolder.  I tried submitting it to google and it told me it was not in a supported format.  When I looked at the page info this is all there was:

<website version="1.0">
<preview type="gallery" file="preview.png" width="1024" height="1024"/>
</website>

What else do I need to do.......this is all quite new to me.....