Should I uninstall old versions before installing upgrade?

Bayman wrote on 1/4/2021, 3:53 PM

I just renewed the update service for PhotoStory Deluxe. Should I uninstall old versions of Photostory Deluxe before installing a new version? I just checked and I have at least 4 previous versions installed on my computer.

MAGIX PhotoStory on CD & DVD 10 Deluxe Download Version
MAGIX PhotoStory on DVD 2013 Deluxe
MAGIX Photostory 2014 Deluxe
MAGIX Photostory Deluxe Version 19

Can I / should I uninstall all these previous versions? I am running Windows 10 and have plenty of disk space I just want to have everything run as smooth and efficiently as possible. Thank you.

Comments

koshi wrote on 1/4/2021, 11:26 PM

use windows "Apps & features" in Settings. then scroll down all your installed application looking for applications that start with Magix. Select the application & additional menu items show up below the selected application. One should be Uninstall. click on this, then verify that you want to uninstall.

I cannot answer your questions about removing previous. As a general practice, I believe, it is best to remove previous versions if the application does not do it during install.

emmrecs wrote on 1/5/2021, 4:08 AM

@Bayman

Welcome to the Magix user to user forums.

There is no need at all to remove those earlier versions, unless you want to or need to create additional disc space. All will happily coexist with any new version and it may be that a feature which has been removed from a later version will still be accessible to you because you still have those earlier versions installed.

One caveat: the current latest version of PS Deluxe is 20. When you install that new version it will almost certainly overwrite version 19, the others will be left installed.

@koshi

Although it was often the case with earlier Windows versions and older apps that an uninstall of any older versions should always precede the installation of a new version, this is rarely the case with Win 10 and more modern apps. I have left your post visible but the advice it gives is not wholly accurate.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Bayman wrote on 1/5/2021, 12:39 PM

@Bayman

Welcome to the Magix user to user forums.

There is no need at all to remove those earlier versions, unless you want to or need to create additional disc space. All will happily coexist with any new version and it may be that a feature which has been removed from a later version will still be accessible to you because you still have those earlier versions installed.

One caveat: the current latest version of PS Deluxe is 20. When you install that new version it will almost certainly overwrite version 19, the others will be left installed.

@koshi

Although it was often the case with earlier Windows versions and older apps that an uninstall of any older versions should always precede the installation of a new version, this is rarely the case with Win 10 and more modern apps. I have left your post visible but the advice it gives is not wholly accurate.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Thank you both for replying so quickly. Wow! I am going to go ahead and take your advice Jeff. I have plenty of disk space and I can't wait to install and try PS Deluxe 20.

Thanks again,

Bayman