Should I or Shouldn't I.....

pat-m98 wrote on 10/25/2015, 7:05 AM

Sorry.....I'm on a roll, expresso will do that to ya.....

I downloaded the free trial Photostory Deluxe 2015.  I have spent three full days trying to learn it, but with the restrictions of the trial download, I can't complete everything I want to.

Between help from You tube and Google, I have managed to figure out alot of stuff myself. And seem to like it.

#1) But I just spent 3 hours reading the reviews for this software......should I be nervous to buy? Or should I seek a new Software program.  Some of the features that had bad reviews, I can't test until I buy it?  The thing that scares me the most is the bad reviews on burnng DVD's ,which is a must for me. I need to burn them with a menu, to watch on TV's with a DVD player.

#2) Does this software have a DVD Maker built in with the Menu for DVD players? From what I can see, i will say yes?? It let me burn to a dvd disc as a file but not as a DVD with a menu.

I have the money to buy any program I want, but confused about which one? I need it for making personal Slide Shows, also using built in Templates, adding music, adding video,etc.,,,

#3) Any feedback?  Yah or nay? If you already left a bad review, I have already read it. But alot of the reviews are old.

FYI: I also downloaded the free trial for Proshow Gold,Cyberlink power director 14, baught Sony Movie Studio, I was not happy with those either.  I always have my windows movie maker to fall back on, but I find it boring now.

#4) One more thing, I did notice with this PhotoStory software, that I am suppose to download things that belong with the program. Im not understanding what are all the things I am suppose to download for free, to this program? Like effects, templates and music and stuff. I just assumed that the software had everything already downloaded in it. I'm a little confused on that? Maybe its because its a trial download?? 

#5) Also, I see that I can buy extra downloads of templates, music and effects from other websites for this software? But when the products say compatible with Photostory, does this mean all versions like Photostory 2015 Deluxe?

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 10/25/2015, 1:09 PM

Hi

. . . . Between help from You tube and Google, I have managed to figure out alot of stuff myself. And seem to like it. . . . .

I would recommend you also read the installed PDF manual available under Help?

. . . . I just spent 3 hours reading the reviews for this software . . . .

A good idea and a bad idea - the reviews help you see what is available, however remember that the results are the reviewers experience and opinions which may be biased (unintentionally) against the software eg they do not like the way a particular function must be used because it is different to what they are used to / expect.

. . . . Does this software have a DVD Maker built in with the Menu for DVD players? . . . . .

Yes the software does allow you create DVD and Blu-Ray discs with menus - the trial version is limited in this however you should be able to see what it is capable of in the Burn options.

. . . . I am suppose to download things that belong with the program . . . .

The program is in two parts to keep the download times shorter - the second part contains more template, effects, disc menu templates etc - you do not get these with the trial.

. . . . I see that I can buy extra downloads . . . .

I presume you mean from Catooh - in which case they are compatible with PS - they mean all version unless stated otherwise.

In the end the final decision is yours, however there is good support from other users here in the forum should you get stuck or have a problem.

HTH

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 10/25/2015, 1:09 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

pat-m98 wrote on 10/25/2015, 1:45 PM

Thank you . You have helped me decide what software to buy tomorrow. ( just putting my PC in tomorrow morning for a Checkup, should be online on Tuesday)I have a laptop, but would rather uss my PC for the software . I'm sure you'll be hearing from me soon!!!! Can't wait to get started on my new slide shows . Xmas is coming ! ( not to offend, if so , appaulogize in advance !).

Cheers! Glad you were online today ! By the looks of all your posts, your keeping a lot of people happy!

browj2 wrote on 10/25/2015, 1:54 PM

Hi Pat,

Not so fast! You should look at Movie Edit Pro Plus or Premium first.

For 10$ more than PhotoStory, you get a whole lot more with Movie Edit Pro. For 40$ more for the Premium version, you get even much, much more. Take a look at the Forum tab under All about..., Movie Edit Pro and you will find a wealth of information and there are many tutorials available. Not so with PhotoStory. If you have handheld video that is somewhat, or even quite jerky, the stabilizer proDAD Mercalli 4 will do an outstanding job of fixing it. It alone would cost more than 200$. I can't recommend the basic version as one quickly runs into limitations.

Still, it's your choice. Whichever way you go,

Enjoy!

Last changed by browj2 on 10/25/2015, 1:54 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

johnebaker wrote on 10/25/2015, 2:11 PM

Hi

Good point John CB. I should have mentioned MEP as well 

I agree with John CB -  -  Movie Edit Pro is more sophisticated then Photostory and can do a lot more for a small extra cost.

You may find that Photostory will do want you want now, however as you gain expertise you may find its limitations frustrate you and you would then have to move up to something like Movie Edit Pro.

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 10/25/2015, 2:11 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

pat-m98 wrote on 10/25/2015, 2:34 PM

I just read alot of reviews from the Forum "all about"  for  Movie edit pro 2016, but it seems it's all about video editing, I can't see anything about slide show templates and anything about that subject.  Is it more for editing video, than slide show templates?

pat-m98 wrote on 10/25/2015, 3:19 PM

I think I spoke too soon.  I found alot more material on this Movie edit pro plus 2016. Yes, it looks great, assuming the Slide show template features are the same, but better??  Im trying to download the free version now, because I have to unhook my pc in the morning to take to the DOCS!

browj2 wrote on 10/25/2015, 7:07 PM

Hi Pat,

I only have PhotoStory 2013, but from what I recall, almost everything that was in PhotoStory was also in MEP, but MEP had more. The slide show stuff is the same. The slideshow tool itself is the same even though the colours of the interface may be different. The menus and templates were the same, but MEP Plus has 99 tracks so that if you want to edit some of the more complicated things, you can, whereas PhotoStory has only 8 tracks, and they can get used up very fast.

Some of the title templates, say a lower third, use 3 tracks in one shot. Add in the Video on track one, with audio on track 2, plus background audio on track 6 and then maybe an overlay or something and you have exceeded the capacity of PhotoStory.

A lot of what I do is with photos, mixed with videos, audio, music, effects. I wouldn't use PhotoStory for this, too limitied.

However, as John EB pointed out, the PhotoStory interface appears simpler. Depends on your level of expertise and what you want to do.

We are here to help.

Last changed by browj2 on 10/25/2015, 7:07 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

pat-m98 wrote on 10/25/2015, 8:19 PM

I have been doing alot of homework tonight with the trial download and watching you tube. I am going to go with the MEP Premium. Everything on here, I was comfortable with, as it had everything that Photostory had, and more. I'm sure you will see me on this forum again soon! Or maybe not.....I already taught myself how to do that invisible effect stuff ,with the video camera..... 

Thanks guys for giving me a heads up about MEP. 

What a week it has been, glued to my computer with trial downloads. My heads going to explode with all this knowledge! Cheers!

browj2 wrote on 10/26/2015, 12:12 AM

Hi Pat,

Good choice. Take a look at this tutorial to make sure that you get everything downloaded and started in the right direction. I ended the tutorial before using the timeline mode and the next tutorial will be about it, but not for several weeks. Watch some other ones and read the first part of the manual.

Have fun!

Last changed by browj2 on 10/26/2015, 12:12 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

John C.B.

johnebaker wrote on 10/26/2015, 5:29 AM

Hi Pat

Agree whole heartedly with John CB

. . . . My heads going to explode with all this knowledge! . . . .

Not according to Homer Simpson it won't - quote

. . . every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain . . .

Sometimes I think that is very true

Joking apart - one of the most important things, as you have already been doing, is to do your research, watch how others have done things, read the manual, look at the tutorials here and on the Magix website and try to do what you want to do.

If you get stuck there is a lot of help here.

Happy editting

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 10/26/2015, 5:29 AM, changed a total of 1 times.