SF Pro 18 Suite - Spectral Layers

Howard-Vigorita wrote on 9/4/2024, 3:35 PM

I have Sound Forge Pro 16 perpetual and am thinking of upgrading to Sound Forge 18 Pro Suite perpetual to get Spectral Layers 10 Pro which I understand is part of the Suite. I'm mostly interested in SL unmix functionality. The US region page indicates the offer expires on Sep 15, 2024... anyone know what happens after that if I wait? I'm wondering if waiting might get me SL11 Pro instead, which I understand has more unmix functions.

I've don't own any older Spectral Layer or other Steinberg products so the price of the SF18 upgrade looks pretty economical... $199 US price to get SL10-Pro with SF18. Same price to buy lesser SL11-Elements directly without an upgrade discount.

Comments

SP. wrote on 9/4/2024, 4:45 PM

@Howard-Vigorita After the current offer runs out, the next one will start. Maybe it's the same price, maybe cheaper or more expensive. Usually it goes up and down $50. But yes, $199 is good for SpectraLayers. And after that you can get new versions much cheaper directly at Steinberg.

Regarding SpectraLayers' version, you'll get a separate serial number you need to register at Steinberg. Steinberg will always give you the newest version via a grace period update, depending on the date you register your software. Since SL 11 is already available, you'll get that. If you don't register the serial number until SL 12 comes out, you'll get SL 12 instead. This is how it worked in the past and I don't think that Steinberg will change that.

If you are interested in a good unmix software, you can also use the free Ultimate Vocal Remover. SpectraLayers has the advantage to separate saxophone and brass stems with a separate pass, but usually UVR should deliver the same quality.

xman_charl wrote on 9/4/2024, 7:37 PM

SL11 Pro instead, which I understand has more unmix functions.

been using sl 11 for coupled of months, does have more junk, compared

to sl 10

my 2 cents