Samplitude crashing with error code at random

Chain138 wrote on 1/8/2023, 1:05 PM

Over the last few days Samplitude has been crashing seemingly at random, whether it be while editing preferences, playing through a session, sometimes early in audio playback, sometimes only after playing through several times. At first I thought maybe my RAM was on its way out, but diagnostics claim otherwise and all other software seems to be running normally. Page file seems to be fine (system managed) and the drives theyre on have plenty of space. Im at a loss, im not using any new plugins to before the error started, anyione had this problem and/or know a fix?

Error: 0xC0000005 (Sam_x64.exe)

An error has occurred:

The Instruction at 0x00000001403AFA13 referenced memory at
0x0000000000000000. The memory could not be Write.

Please restart the program to enable all of the functions.

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 1/8/2023, 1:37 PM

@Chain138

Hi

Have you checked or run the the following:

• Windows System File Checker (sfc /scannow) ?
  • The hard / ssd drive manufacturers drive checking tools?
  • The Antivirus program has been updated and is now blocking access to folders that Samplitude is wanting to write to - you may find which folder(s) the are in the crash log.
  • If the computer is a laptop have there been any suggestion the RAM or CPU may be over heating?

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Chain138 wrote on 1/9/2023, 2:10 AM

Hi @johnebaker,

Thanks for the response, i've scanned the drives using sfc and 3rd party software and there wasnt any problems detected with them. Temps are all fine, is it worth trying a fresh install?

David-Carpenter7660 wrote on 1/9/2023, 3:56 PM

I noticed the same crashes, try unchecking the preference hardware controller option Presonus fader port studio 1 mode worked for me to stop the crashes.

I have tried a lot of hosts probably a dozen this one is super buggy, it is kinda funny that one defaults to try to blame faulty computer, AV or HDD software for an app crash when this particular host crashes regular for unknown write errors. The crash says it all trying to write memory to a location that does not exist the app being Samplitude... Nothing to do with overheating nothing to do with AV hmm lets see what could it be. Is this the support portal or just a forum? Is there even a support email or actual way of getting a support ticket or just relying on forum community answers?? Glad I am just trying the demo sorry for those who have purchased...

SP. wrote on 1/9/2023, 8:38 PM

@David-Carpenter7660 @Chain138 If you can reproduce this problem reliably, I would advise you ask Samplitude Pro support at proservice@magix.net Trying to write something to memory address 0 looks like a problem with a pointer in the code for me. This could be a bug.

But support cannot do much without being able to recreate it.

Otherwise it might help to uninstall Samplitude from Windows and the hardware controllers from the device manager and reinstall everything again.

It can often help to reinstall Windows from scratch. A lot of users have unstable system configurations. This will build up over the years and make Windows run into more and more problems.

David-Carpenter7660 wrote on 1/10/2023, 8:21 AM

This is a fresh brand new install this week... Already contacted support with crash logs and how to recreate, there are more posts on this very forum about the same memory write errors and crashes. Ha there is no way I am going to re install windows that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. If not for a client I would never touch this software. I love the blame shift here is the default go to for X7. Resolving problems by sweeping them under the rug or shifting blame won't fix this junk-ware.

SP. wrote on 1/10/2023, 8:26 AM

@David-Carpenter7660 It's your choice. I have repeatedly solved inexplicable problems by reinstalling Windows. The last big problems were caused after upgrading to Windows 10 22H2. I got regular blue screens. I changed nothing except installing the upgrade. After reinstalling everything from scratch it runs now super smooth again.

David-Carpenter7660 wrote on 1/10/2023, 9:23 AM

All other applications are working fine it is obviously a bug in X7 the write error occurs when running the program no other time unchecking the option resolves the crashes. System runs super smooth already until I try using this application all other DAWs working smooth. I don't get blue screens just app crash.

It's your choice

Yeah um so is a goose chase but I am not spending a day or two reinstalling everything in hopes of fixing this X7 bug when clearly others are experiencing the same crashes. I bet I get a canned answer from support when they respond in 2-4 days. Some look at it as oh great we have to provide support to these suckers, when really it is an opportunity to improve the software from feedback provided. I feel like this is a total waste even reporting it. Magix has it setup to make it hard to even report issues or get support doubt they will fix it because of the report. I am going to urge all my users to avoid this DAW even if this particular bug is resolved. I have thousands of users.

SP. wrote on 1/10/2023, 9:43 AM

@David-Carpenter7660 But you are having a different crash in the control panel DLL. It's not the same error.

You sound more like an angry troll throwing around threats. Nobody will take this seriously.