Run Time Error

Louis-Sobo wrote on 5/15/2020, 7:32 AM

After testing the free product for a few days, I bought the $50 photo manager last night.  Immediately upon downloading, the FaceID program stopped working, reporting a RunTime Error and on the screen, the following: "You recently worked on the FaceID.  These changes are still being saved..."

At that point, the program froze and shut down.

I started with a simple restart.  That did not work.

I uninstalled and re-installed all the software.  That did not work.

I uninstalled and re-installed Microsoft Run Time.  There are no old versions now on my computer, and only the latest ones from Microsoft.

I tried to run the program in safe mode, to prevent conflicts with other software.  That did not work either.

I then started poking around Magix's discussion boards and found that I am not the only one with this problem.  Unfortunately, I have not seen much on the discussion boards that give me optimism.

My computer is relatively new, and has no trouble at all running any other software.

I am not in the habit of spending $50 on software that does not work even for one minute.

Please advise.

Thank you.

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 5/15/2020, 9:12 AM

@Louis-Sobo

Welcome to the Magix forums. Sorry you've experienced these problems.

I uninstalled and re-installed all the software

Unfortunately, that may be at least part of the problem, because the built-in installer does not remove everything connected with the program because certain folders etc. and registry entries are created on first or subsequent runs. It is more than likely that it is one of these "leftover" items that is causing the problem for you.

To resolve this try the following: download and install the free Revo Uninstaller (the paid for Pro version is well worth the money if you decide to use the tool regularly) point it to find everything associated with Photo Manager (it will show you exactly what it is going to remove so that you have the "final say" over exactly what is going to "disappear".)

Once it has finished, reboot your computer and then try the install again.

Hopefully, you will now have a fully-functioning program! If not, please post back and we, as fellow-users, will attempt to help you further.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Louis-Sobo wrote on 5/15/2020, 4:03 PM

Hi there,

Thank you for that suggestion and advice. I did it exactly as you said, and deleted everything the Revo program found. It was quite a bit of stuff. Then, I re-installed.

No dice. Same problem, exact same place.

Lou

emmrecs wrote on 5/16/2020, 5:05 AM

@Louis-Sobo

Sorry that didn't work!

Re-reading your first post I see you uninstalled and reinstalled Microsoft Runtime. Not sure whether that was a good idea or not.

I think you need to check your Windows installation files. To do this please try the following (I'm assuming you're running a fully updated version of Windows 10):

1. Right-click on the Start button, bottom left hand side.
  2. From the menu that then opens, choose "Windows PowerShell (Admin)"
  3. At the flashing cursor type (no quotes) "sfc /scannow" (notice the gap in the middle)
  4. Allow the process to complete and then, if necessary, to repair your installation files. (It will tell you it is doing this or, if it cannot, it should suggest how you might effect a repair yourself.)

Once it tells you the process is complete, I would then, once more, use Revo to remove Photo Manager, then reboot your computer and try the reinstall again.

Should this still fail there is one further possible thing to try: Go to this Microsoft page, download and follow the instructions there to run the troubleshooter.

If you still have no joy then this Microsoft page will show you how you can check in detail and repair your system files.

HTH

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Louis-Sobo wrote on 5/16/2020, 9:07 AM

Thank you for your help. Although the scan revealed an error that it fixed on its own, it did not fix the underlying issue. I ran that, ran Revo, re-installed, and still nothing. Same error, same place.

I tried the Microsoft page you suggested, no dice.

I am not computer savvy enough for your final recommendation.

My computer ran the FaceID just fine when it was the trial version, so I am confident that my computer is not the fundamental issue here.

Honestly, I just wanted to buy a good program and get started on a project. Instead, it's been 3-4 days of dealing with this.

When this all started, I tried sending a message directly to Magix as well, but I could not submit the issue. I'll attach the screenshot of what it told me.

I am going to go through Paypal and attempt to get my money back. There are other programs out there with Facial Recognition. I'll use one of those.

I do appreciate your help in trying to solve this problem.

Lou

emmrecs wrote on 5/16/2020, 11:04 AM

@Louis-Sobo

Thanks for this further update. I'm sorry the problem is not resolved. I'm afraid I'm completely out of ideas but I will tag @johnebaker to see if he has any thoughts?

Given the on-screen message you received and the fact that you clearly made changes to the MS Runtime on your computer, my fear is that you have adversely affected some crucial part of your Windows installation. Although that final suggestion I made in my last post might seem a little daunting - and it does need to be done very carefully - I wonder whether the only other alternative might be a complete reinstall of Windows.

If there is a serious problem with your Windows installation my fear is that it will also affect any other software that includes any type of Face ID facility.

I honestly cannot explain why that Support message was not sent. Did you use this page?

Jeff

johnebaker wrote on 5/16/2020, 12:59 PM

@Louis-Sobo, @emmrecs

Hi

. . . .   Immediately upon downloading, the FaceID program stopped working. . . .

Do you mean after installation and first run of the program?

. . . .   RunTime Error and on the screen, the following: "You recently worked on the FaceID.  These changes are still being saved..." . . . .

When you were using the trial version did you initiate a FaceID scan and did it complete or was it stopped by shutting down the program?

Do you have any other Magix programs installed?

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Louis-Sobo wrote on 5/16/2020, 4:14 PM

Hi John,

Thank you for following up.

1. That is correct. The free version, max of 10 faces, worked fine. I liked the program. It was (and is) exactly what I was looking for. The first time I loaded up the full program and tried to do FaceID, it gave me that message.

2. I do not believe that anything was running when the program shut down. It was a few days ago, so I cannot be sure of that. I only was scanning a few dozen pictures at a time in the trial version, so it wasn't as if there was tons of scanning going on. But I cannot say for sure.

3. Only the ones that automatically download when I bought the full version. I did download the music program that seemed to come with it as well.

Thank you.

johnebaker wrote on 5/17/2020, 4:39 AM

@Louis-Sobo

Hi

Thanks for the information.

Have you added any folders to the Database?

If so what does Database, Statistics show?

Try resetting the program Help, Reset program settings. . . . and reset the program - this will lose any customisation you made to the file paths.

Restart Photo Manager and try the FaceID again.

HTH

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Louis-Sobo wrote on 5/17/2020, 10:00 AM

Hello. I combined both pieces of your advice.

1. I got the database photo numbers down to zero, then reset the program. I got it to zero on all accounts. I then re-started it and nothing. Same problem, same place.

2. Then, I got the numbers back down to zero on all accounts. Then, I used Revo to completely delete the program. I re-installed the program. Everything was at zero. Tried it again, nothing. Same problem, same place.

I do appreciate your help on this, but honestly, this is getting ridiculous.

johnebaker wrote on 5/17/2020, 11:25 AM

@Louis-Sobo

Hi

I installed Photo Manager on my PC yesterday - recent new OS build Windows 1909 so no previous versions to interfere and it works fine - no issue with FaceID and completion of the FaceID scan.

. . . . I got the database photo numbers down to zero, then reset the program. I got it to zero on all accounts. I then re-started it and nothing. . . . .

Did you delete the database ?

I would also suggest searching for and deleting all the album files ( .alb file extension) if you created any in the trial version - note if you use Corel Paintshop Pro you may also find .alb files which relate to that program..

Can you confirm when you bought the full version if you:

1. entered the serial number you received into the trial version to remove the limitations and activate to full functionality?

or

2. uninstalled the trial version and then install a new download?

or

3. installed a new download over the top of the trial version?

John EB

Louis-Sobo wrote on 5/17/2020, 11:36 AM

Hi Again,

1. I am attaching a picture of my screen. The databases are empty, but I cannot seem to find how to delete the databases themselves.

2. I did delete the album files previously.

3. I do not recall if I did #1 or #3, but if I had to guess, it'd be #3. I know that I did not do #2. Right now though, over the course of all the deleting and re-installing of Magix files, the demo version is no longer on my computer.

johnebaker wrote on 5/17/2020, 1:21 PM

@Louis-Sobo

Hi

Apologies thought you had seen the option under Database

John EB

Louis-Sobo wrote on 5/17/2020, 2:35 PM

I'm sorry. I found it, did it, no change.

I really am at a loss.

johnebaker wrote on 5/18/2020, 8:12 AM

@Louis-Sobo

Hi

. . . . I really am at a loss. . . . .

Me too !

I would suggest you raise a support ticket with Magix here.

John EB