ReWire Slave functionality

Sean-Weyers wrote on 8/28/2018, 10:09 AM

I'm so happy that Acid is back. I invested a lot of time and money in it, only to have Sony drop it, and it to become unusable. I used to use it as a ReWire slave to Cubase- the workflow was amazing and Acid made drum loops super easy. However, it currently does not funciton as a ReWire slave, as it used to. Honestly, ReWire in Acid is not very useful unless it can be used as a slave. Is there any plan to add this functionality? It really is awful to have one feature prevent me from using Acid again; I was looking forward to revisiting some old sessions. Also, the manual (still) clearly states that Acid can be used as a slave, while the forums indicate otherwise.

Comments

Sean-Weyers wrote on 9/14/2018, 6:46 PM

I couldn't let this go- especially since the manual, and the information about Acid Pro 8 on the Magix site states that 8 runs as both a slave and master. Apparently, sometimes during the install, the registry key that exposes Acid as a ReWire slave doesn't get created. This key simply needs to be added into the registry for it to work. The .dll file in Acid Pro 8 has NOT been renamed from Acid 7, although it is a different file (7 wasn't 64 bit). Also, it shows up in the ReWire master as Acid Pro 7. If you are using Reaper (64 bit), and have both Acid 7 and 8 installed: Acid 7 will show as Acid Pro 7/32 and Acid 8 will show as Acid Pro 7.
First, find the rewire .dll in for Acid Pro 8. It should be in C:\Program Files\ACID\ACID Pro 8.0\Audio Hardware Drivers and will show up as ACID7ReWire.dll. It's just important to know where it is. If you installed Acid somewhere else, it will be there.
Next, add the registry key. Hit the windows key and type regedit to open your registry editor. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Propellerhead Software\ReWire. Right click on the ReWire key in the navigation tree and add a new key. It will add a new key with a default name and default value. Name it ACID Pro 8.0 and then right click in the blank area on the right and add a new String Value. Name the new string value Device Path. Double click on the new Device Path entry, and in the Value data box, type the path to Acid 8 rewire .dll that we found earlier.
That's it, all done. It should work now, at least it does for me- I can ReWire Acid Pro 8 as a device in Reaper and Cubase. I haven't tried it with anything else. I hope this helps.

emmrecs wrote on 9/15/2018, 4:09 AM

@Sean-Weyers

I'm not an Acid 8 user but wanted to post a Thank You to you for explaining in detail how you were able to resolve this.

Hopefully, it will also help other users meeting this problem.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Samplitude Pro X7 Suite, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam