Replays and slowing speed (Magix edit pro 15)

Jsnell wrote on 7/26/2009, 11:58 PM
Hello All,

Complete newbie to video editing. I appreciate any help you can offer.

1. I want to have replays in a slower speed following a certain event (i.e. motorbike going around a corner in real speed then followed by a select few of those same scenes in slow motion). Do I have to literally cut my first video at the end of the motorbike going around the corner and insert a second copy of the video/scenes i want slowed?

Is there a way to duplicate scenes and slow these ones down? I have found where to slow speeds however I only want certain scenes slowed, not the entire video.

Comments

siglersmalz wrote on 7/27/2009, 1:29 AM
Hi,

I'll give you a quick step-by-step, but my instruction details are for MEP 14+ (which has been rock solid for me since it came out).  I've not upgraded to MEP15 because I've seen far too many complaints about it.

With your movie project loaded, make sure you are in Timeline mode.

* move the cursor to the beginning of the section of the movie you want slowed down.
* cut the scene (the cut scene icon is in the down-arrow "pull-down menu" to the right of the Fast Forward button below the monitor)
* move the cursor to the end of the slow-mo scene and cut it there.
* click once on the slow-mo scene to select it (turns red)
* right-click on track 1 (the video track) and select "Video effects"
* to the left you will see "PLAY SPEED"
* after setting the desired play speed, click OK.

Hints:
You can do these same steps on a copy of the scene. 
* After doing the two cuts and the click to select the desired scene (turning it red), hit Ctrl-C to copy the scene.
* move the remaining movie to the right to open up room for pasting the copied scene.
* put the cursor at the end of the scene you copied and hit Ctrl-V to paste the scene.

When you slow down a scene, the physical length of the scene in Timeline mode will increase, typically running it into the next scene if you have not moved the rest of the movie out further to the right.  You will see this when you play the scene in the Video effects window.  You'll see the rest of the movie cross fading into the slow motion scene.  It took me a while to remember to move the rest of the movie further to the right to make room for the extra space the slow-mo scene will require.

If you want to slow the scene down more than 50%, you'll have to ungroup the audio track from the video track.  By default, the video and audio will slow down together down to 0.5 and then you can't go any slower.

To go slower, exit Video effects.  With your slow-mo scene highlighted (in red), click "Edit" "Ungroup".  This detaches the audio and video, which means you may want to delete the audio track, or do some other clever thing since they will be out of sync during the slow-mo section of your movie.

Hope that helps,

Tim