recording guitar with effects

Roy-Bailey wrote on 1/7/2023, 5:58 AM

Hi,

I am wanting to record electric guitar simultaneously with effects. I am using Acid Pro 8 with Guitar Rig through a Focusrite Interface. Is it possible to run my electric guitar through my interface and record a track in Acid Pro8 and apply effects from Guitar rig at the same time as recording and if necessary change the effects at any time. The reason for my request is that I believe my playing style will be different if the effects are applied live. Is this possible?

Kind Regards

Roy

Comments

Former user wrote on 1/7/2023, 9:50 AM

@Roy-Bailey Yes you can, use Gtr Rig as an FX plugin, when recording click the 'input monitor' ON. At this point you'll be able to hear the FX you want from Gtr Rig as you record. The GOOD part is it won't print the FX to the recorded track, you can now go back and change the FX as you like. Cheers

Roy-Bailey wrote on 1/7/2023, 10:30 PM

Hi,

thankyou for your response, I am pleased to hear that it can be done, one last question, where do I find the Input Monitor function.

Cheers

Roy

Former user wrote on 1/8/2023, 8:12 AM

@Roy-Bailey this MAY cause latency issues. Best of luck!

Roy-Bailey wrote on 1/9/2023, 7:36 PM

Hi, thankyou for the previous advice. I hope you can help with my next query. I recently purchased a Focusrite 8i6 after my Babyface died on me. I am trying to record midi by connecting my Yamaha keyboard to the midi in midi out sockets on the Focusrite. The Focusrite recognises the midi is engaged. When I create a midi track in Acid Pro8 and play the Yamaha keyboard the data doesn't appear in my midi track. Are you able to provide any advice. With my old Babyface interface I didn't have this issue.

Kind Regards

Roy

Former user wrote on 1/9/2023, 8:15 PM

@Roy-Bailey Interesting, as I run all RME gear myself. (it's rock solid and is quality) I know NOTHING about Focusrite stuff. However, are the MIDI channels the same???(focusrite & AP) do you have a VSTi assigned to the MIDI track??????? in other words is ALL the MIDI on the same channel???

Roy-Bailey wrote on 1/9/2023, 10:06 PM

Hi,

thanks for the suggestion I will give it a go. The problem I had with the Babyface was the breakout cable which I had replaced previously. My reason for not staying with RME was mainly financial.

Once again thanks for your help.

Regards

Roy

Former user wrote on 1/10/2023, 9:24 AM

@Roy-Bailey I understand completely about RME costs !!! Just a thought, if the problem with the Babyface was the cable, did you try Reverb.com or Ebay to find a replacement? I know getting parts from RME is costly. Cheers

Roy-Bailey wrote on 1/11/2023, 2:05 AM

Hi, I recall that I did look around but it seemed a wee bit pricey, also I've always found the Total Mix software a little confusing and the Focusrite seemed a little more intuitive but that's a reflection of my skill level. Also I can get help from my local music shop with Focusrite. I am still having a bit of a battle getting midi into my software but I will persevere. Incidentally I got into the Sony recording software many years ago when I was in Singapore browsing through a street market when I picked up a CD of Sony Studio I think it was called. On my return to Australia I had it up and running fairly quickly. I then decided to purchase Sony Acid Pro from a local Sony Dealer and got further into recording. It must be said as I am in my retirement years some concepts do not come as easily as a few years back bit I will persevere. Thanks for your help and advice.

Cheers

Roy