recording

StephenR wrote on 4/10/2009, 9:54 AM
Hello.
I am trying to record real-time audio, played through the USB port, from my Yamaha keyboard, using Magix Music Studio 12.
When I click on record, the bar moves across the track, but no notes appear in the track when I play.
I can hear the keyboard through the speakers on the computer, but cannot see them on the screen.
Why is it not recognised?
Please please help me!
Thank you very much...

Comments

NoTurning wrote on 4/10/2009, 8:20 PM
Hi,
What keyboard do you have? Some Yamaha USB is MIDI only - the fact that you can hear through your speakers leads me to believe yours is not though.

Go to the playback parameters of your Magix software and choose your Yamaha for the playback/recording device. Most likely Magix is defaulted to your sound card - it must be changed in the software settings.

Let me know if that works,
Justin
NoTurning wrote on 4/11/2009, 5:54 PM
Hi,
I'm happy to help. The easiest thing to do is open music studio and press the P key on your keyboard. That will bring up the playback parameters window.

In that window you will see a section called Device with two pull-down menus. The first menu choose your Yamaha Keyboard, then exit out by hitting ok.
Try to record.

Let me know what happens,
Justin
NoTurning wrote on 4/12/2009, 10:12 PM
 Hi,
Are you sure your Yamaha is capable of audio via USB? Most are NOT. Since it's apearing in the MIDI list I'm back to my original assesment; you possibly have a MIDI only USB port on your keyboard.

If that's the case then we can use your line out on your keyboard to your sound card... it's as simple as that. Tell me what model of Yamaha you have and we'll know for sure. Then we can set you up.

ASIO buffers are basically for alloting memory for audio playtback and recording using ASIO (someting I highly recomend). After we get you set up - we'll be playing with ASIO. The default settings are usually sufficient.

Justin
NoTurning wrote on 4/13/2009, 8:14 AM
Ok... no doubt about it. Your Yamaha is USB MIDI only. To connect your keyboard for recording you can get a TRS cable and connect your headphone jack on your keyboard to the line in of your computer sound card (do not use MIC-in). 

You should now be able to record in Magix. Let me know if you need help with the cable,
Justin
NoTurning wrote on 4/18/2009, 9:30 AM
Most likely you'll need a 1/4" TRS to 1/8" TRS. If your keyboard has the common large headphone jack then this is what you need. If you can't easily find that cord you can get a standard TRS (balanced) instrument cable and get an adapter for 1 end.

Some stores may call the TRS cable a Balanced cable or even a Stereo cable if they really have no clue.

Keep me posted,
Justin