Record vsts

andrew-phillips wrote on 4/23/2020, 7:07 AM

So i use vsts like reverbs / delay etc with no problem but am having a nightmare trying to record a live vst,so im trying to use a one knob filter called border like on a dj mixer,so it works and i can hear it but no matter what i do i cant seem to record it any how or way,anybody got a step by step how they do it / would be much apreciated,sorry for the thickness but its driving me crazy

Comments

Former user wrote on 4/23/2020, 6:11 PM

So i use vsts like reverbs / delay etc with no problem but am having a nightmare trying to record a live vst,so im trying to use a one knob filter called border like on a dj mixer,so it works and i can hear it but no matter what i do i cant seem to record it any how or way,anybody got a step by step how they do it / would be much apreciated,sorry for the thickness but its driving me crazy

Hey Andrew, since no one has responded yet, sounds like you will be recording automation. So when you twist a knob on the VST, you want that to record as you go along, correct? Sounds like automation. Are you choosing the automation to "write" and once done, choosing it to "read"?

Check out this link:

http://acidpro.helpmax.net/en/using-acid/using-automation/automating-vsti-parameters/

andrew-phillips wrote on 4/24/2020, 11:05 AM

Yes that is spot on what i want to do, Ive done none of the things you said haha,dont really know about it,shall look into it and maybe find a video,thx

Former user wrote on 4/25/2020, 12:42 AM

Yes that is spot on what i want to do, Ive done none of the things you said haha,dont really know about it,shall look into it and maybe find a video,thx

There is that rotary button for automation, you click the arrow next to it. You choose Write and make your changes on VST. See if that works. I never live recorded automation but thats how you it should work I believe. I always just drew the automation.

andrew-phillips wrote on 4/25/2020, 3:56 AM

There is that rotary button for automation, you click the arrow next to it. You choose Write and make your changes on VST. See if that works. I never live recorded automation but thats how you it should work I believe. I always just drew the automation.

cool ,i ll look into that today as well

andrew-phillips wrote on 4/25/2020, 6:32 AM

so i kinda got something but on a volume scale which in the end on the recorded track was full you could hardly hear it plus it was behind on temo the track i filtered,im so puzzled and frustrated for such a simple effect that i want

Former user wrote on 4/25/2020, 7:21 AM

so i kinda got something but on a volume scale which in the end on the recorded track was full you could hardly hear it plus it was behind on temo the track i filtered,im so puzzled and frustrated for such a simple effect that i want

I will see if I can do this in my setup and get back to you but unfortunately, Acid is still really behind in these things. I hate to say it but I am doubting you will get the automation quality you are after. Acid's progress kind of came to a halt by version 4. After that, there were just minor updates which brought about a whole different levels of issues. I have been with this DAW since '98.

So, what I do in my case is, for any complex automation (live recording of it), I record such things in Studio one, export and then import them into Acid. I don't know if you have another DAW. For now, that might actually save you frustration. I am just grateful that at least its back on the production line.

andrew-phillips wrote on 4/25/2020, 7:31 AM

i have the free version of studio one,like it.also i have ableton lite and soundforge 12,appreciate your feedback as not a lot of it even here on the forums

Former user wrote on 4/25/2020, 7:45 AM

i have the free version of studio one,like it.also i have ableton lite and soundforge 12,appreciate your feedback as not a lot of it even here on the forums

Ya, I am guessing you are trying to use the Filter and live record it. In a day or so, I will try to mess with Acid's automation with a Midi controller and see what I come up with. In the mean time. take your audio and do the automation recording in Studio one (I think it comes with filter plugin in free version or Ableton), then export the audio with the automation as you did it, then use that in Acid. Acid is great, but just lacking a lot of basics, work around is there but that will suck away your time and patience.

andrew-phillips wrote on 4/25/2020, 7:48 AM

Ya, I am guessing you are trying to use the Filter and live record it. In a day or so, I will try to mess with Acid's automation with a Midi controller and see what I come up with. In the mean time. take your audio and do the automation recording in Studio one (I think it comes with filter plugin in free version or Ableton), then export the audio with the automation as you did it, then use that in Acid. Acid is great, but just lacking a lot of basics, work around is there but that will suck away your time and patience.

If i remember too soundforge can record what it hears on the computer too so can do it live and record into that
I picked up soundforge in this package ridiculous price
https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/fanatical-music-bundle-by-magix?product=music-bundle-by-magix-keys&aff_track=CJ&CJEVENT=f252a06586f211ea82b201a10a180510&utm_source=CJ&cj_pid=8280252&cj_aid=13398977