Questions about "DVC Pro Encoder Upgrade"

RobertR wrote on 1/15/2024, 11:02 AM

Greetings,

I'm using Magix Video Pro X14. I was trying to import a MOV file, and was prompted to purchase the "DVC Pro Encoder Upgrade" which I did. What I'm not understanding is (1) why does it not import sound (I only get the video track) and (2) Shouldn't an encoder allow me to export to MOV as well?

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

:-)

Running Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i9-9900K CPU, 64GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 1/15/2024, 3:13 PM

@RobertR

Hi

. . . . why does it not import sound (I only get the video track) . . . .

Can you hear the audio when you playback the clip on the timeline?

If so then you have the import setting in the Program settings, Video/audio tab set to video/audio on one track.

If not, then download and install MediaInfo and analyse one of the clips causing the issue and post the results, see this tutorial on how to setup MediaInfo and analyse a video clip for all the data required.  

. . . . Shouldn't an encoder allow me to export to MOV as well? . . . .

MOV is a container file format which can contain a variety of different encoded video and audio formats.

MOV is an Apple video container format file requiring Quicktime for Windows for both decoding and encoding to the MOV file format.

Apple dropped support for Quicktime for Windows many years ago. The last version you can get (7) is obsolete and does not support many of the newer codecs, and does not to support exporting to MOV from VPX

HTH

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

CubeAce wrote on 1/15/2024, 6:08 PM

@RobertR

Hi Robert.

Can you look at your receipt and see if it says it is an encoder or decoder?

HEVC for instance requires the two separate. They are separate purchases. A decoder will only allow importing of files into a project. It will not act as an encoder for export.

The website states to import a DVCPRO file 'Requires fee-based activation' and there is no tick indicating an export to that file type is available. I see similar problems on the Abode website. Even Vegas does not seem to do this or even offer support for importing.

The only editor I can find that supports this is DaVinci Resolve Pro.

From their website.

DCP Encoding and Decoding

Native support for unencrypted DCP files lets you output and import unencoded DCP files for testing and validating playback of digital cinema packages. Support for encrypted DCP requires a separate Easy DCP license.

Ray.

Windows 10 Enterprise. Version 22H2 OS build 19045.5011

Direct X 12.1 latest hardware updates for Western Digital hard drives.

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming motherboard Rev 1.xx with Supreme FX inboard audio using the S1220A code. Driver No 6.0.8960.1 Bios version 1401

Intel i9900K Coffee Lake 3.6 to 5.1GHz CPU with Intel UHD 630 Graphics .Driver version Graphics Driver 31.0.101.2130 for 7th-10th Gen Intel® with 64GB of 3200MHz Corsair DDR4 ram.

1000 watt EVGA modular power supply.

1 x 250GB Evo 970 NVMe: drive for C: drive backup 1 x 1TB Sabrent NVMe drive for Operating System / Programs only. 1X WD BLACK 1TB internal SATA 7,200rpm hard drives.1 for internal projects, 1 for Library clips/sounds/music/stills./backup of working projects. 1x500GB SSD current project only drive, 2x WD RED 2TB drives for latest footage storage. Total 21TB of 8 external WD drives for backup.

ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB. nVidia Studio driver version 560.81 - 3584xCUDA cores Direct X 12.1. Memory interface 192bit Memory bandwidth 360.05GB/s 12GB of dedicated GDDR6 video memory, shared system memory 16307MB PCi Express x8 Gen3. Two Samsung 27" LED SA350 monitors with 5000000:1 contrast ratios at 60Hz.

Running MMS 2024 Suite v 23.0.1.182 (UDP3) and VPX 14 - v20.0.3.180 (UDP3)

M Audio Axiom AIR Mini MIDI keyboard Ver 5.10.0.3507

VXP 14, MMS 2024 Suite, Vegas Studio 16, Vegas Pro 18, Cubase 4. CS6, NX Studio, Mixcraft 9 Recording Studio. Mixcraft Pro 10 Studio.

Audio System 5 x matched bi-wired 150 watt Tannoy Reveal speakers plus one Tannoy 15" 250 watt sub with 5.1 class A amplifier. Tuned to room with Tannoy audio application.

Ram Acoustic Studio speakers amplified by NAD amplifier.

Rogers LS7 speakers run from Cambridge Audio P50 amplifier

Schrodinger's Backup. "The condition of any backup is unknown until a restore is attempted."

RobertR wrote on 1/15/2024, 6:33 PM

@RobertR

Hi Robert.

Can you look at your receipt and see if it says it is an encoder or decoder?

HEVC for instance requires the two separate. They are separate purchases. A decoder will only allow importing of files into a project. It will not act as an encoder for export.

The website states to import a DVCPRO file 'Requires fee-based activation' and there is no tick indicating an export to that file type is available. I see similar problems on the Abode website. Even Vegas does not seem to do this or even offer support for importing.

The only editor I can find that supports this is DaVinci Resolve Pro.

From their website.

DCP Encoding and Decoding

Native support for unencrypted DCP files lets you output and import unencoded DCP files for testing and validating playback of digital cinema packages. Support for encrypted DCP requires a separate Easy DCP license.

Ray.

Hey Cube.

Thanks for responding. My Invoice states ENCODER.

I think what I'm looking for is documentation for whatever I bought so I can understand how it can be used.

RR

RobertR wrote on 1/15/2024, 6:50 PM

@RobertR

Hi

. . . . why does it not import sound (I only get the video track) . . . .

Can you hear the audio when you playback the clip on the timeline?

If so then you have the import setting in the Program settings, Video/audio tab set to video/audio on one track.

If not, then download and install MediaInfo and analyse one of the clips causing the issue and post the results, see this tutorial on how to setup MediaInfo and analyse a video clip for all the data required.  

. . . . Shouldn't an encoder allow me to export to MOV as well? . . . .

MOV is a container file format which can contain a variety of different encoded video and audio formats.

MOV is an Apple video container format file requiring Quicktime for Windows for both decoding and encoding to the MOV file format.

Apple dropped support for Quicktime for Windows many years ago. The last version you can get (7) is obsolete and does not support many of the newer codecs, and does not to support exporting to MOV from VPX

HTH

John EB
Forum Moderator

Thank you John. I'm set up with separate video and audio tracks, and when I drag and drop this file onto VEP only the video comes over. There is no audio track. My workaround is converting the file to MP4 and grabbing the audio from there. I really just want documentation for what I bought. Ideally, I'd like to have the ability to import and export ProRes files.

General
Complete name                            : Murder by the Book DVD\murder by the book pal.mov
Format                                   : QuickTime
Format/Info                              : Original Apple specifications
File size                                : 29.8 GiB
Duration                                 : 53mn 37s
Overall bit rate                         : 79.6 Mbps
Encoded date                             : UTC 2018-08-17 19:17:58
Tagged date                              : UTC 2018-08-17 19:17:58
Writing library                          : Apple QuickTime

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : ProRes
Format version                           : Version 0
Format profile                           : 422 HQ
Codec ID                                 : apch
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 61.1 Mbps
Width                                    : 720 pixels
Clean aperture width                     : 703 pixels
Height                                   : 576 pixels
Clean aperture height                    : 576 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 4:3
Clean aperture display aspect ratio      : 4:3
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 25.000 fps
Standard                                 : PAL
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:2
Scan type                                : Interlaced
Scan type, store method                  : Interleaved fields
Scan order                               : Top Field First
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 5.896
Stream size                              : 22.9 GiB (77%)
Writing library                          : bmd1
Language                                 : English
Color primaries                          : BT.601 PAL
Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.601
matrix_coefficients_Original             : BT.709

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : PCM
Format settings, Endianness              : Little
Format settings, Sign                    : Signed
Codec ID                                 : lpcm
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 18.4 Mbps
Channel(s)                               : 16 channels
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth                                : 24 bits
Stream size                              : 6.90 GiB (23%)

Other
ID                                       : 3
Type                                     : Time code
Format                                   : QuickTime TC
Time code of first frame                 : 00:00:00:00
Time code, striped                       : Yes

CubeAce wrote on 1/15/2024, 8:08 PM

@RobertR

Hi Robert.

Once downloaded such wrappers are integrated into the software. The only controls if there are any for export would be in the 'Export As' section in the file format drop-down list.

The specs page for VPX does not show encoding as a possibility for DVCPRO.

If I were you I would get clarification directly from Magix. Either raise a ticket via your account at Magix or send them an email at infoservice@magix.net.

I'm sure in the morning (Europe) @johnebaker will also say one way or the other.

Ray.

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming motherboard Rev 1.xx with Supreme FX inboard audio using the S1220A code. Driver No 6.0.8960.1 Bios version 1401

Intel i9900K Coffee Lake 3.6 to 5.1GHz CPU with Intel UHD 630 Graphics .Driver version Graphics Driver 31.0.101.2130 for 7th-10th Gen Intel® with 64GB of 3200MHz Corsair DDR4 ram.

1 x 250GB Evo 970 NVMe: drive for C: drive backup 1 x 1TB Sabrent NVMe drive for Operating System / Programs only. 1X WD BLACK 1TB internal SATA 7,200rpm hard drives.1 for internal projects, 1 for Library clips/sounds/music/stills./backup of working projects. 1x500GB SSD current project only drive, 2x WD RED 2TB drives for latest footage storage. Total 21TB of 8 external WD drives for backup.

ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB. nVidia Studio driver version 560.81 - 3584xCUDA cores Direct X 12.1. Memory interface 192bit Memory bandwidth 360.05GB/s 12GB of dedicated GDDR6 video memory, shared system memory 16307MB PCi Express x8 Gen3. Two Samsung 27" LED SA350 monitors with 5000000:1 contrast ratios at 60Hz.

VXP 14, MMS 2024 Suite, Vegas Studio 16, Vegas Pro 18, Cubase 4. CS6, NX Studio, Mixcraft 9 Recording Studio. Mixcraft Pro 10 Studio.

Audio System 5 x matched bi-wired 150 watt Tannoy Reveal speakers plus one Tannoy 15" 250 watt sub with 5.1 class A amplifier. Tuned to room with Tannoy audio application.

Schrodinger's Backup. "The condition of any backup is unknown until a restore is attempted."

johnebaker wrote on 1/16/2024, 1:33 AM

@RobertR

HI

Looking at the mediaInfo data, how was this file ripped?

This is potentially the problem:

If you see the audio part of the clip on the timeline, right click it and select the Audio functions, Extract channels.

You should then be able to work out which channels you need - it should be 1 & 2

If you do not see the audio then for this clip and others you may already have

. . . . My workaround is converting the file to MP4 and grabbing the audio from there. . . . .

Is one method.

If you are 'ripping' more DVD use a simpler codec such as AVI with the audio as stereo 2 channel.

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

RobertR wrote on 1/16/2024, 7:51 AM

@RobertR

HI

Looking at the mediaInfo data, how was this file ripped?

This is potentially the problem:

If you see the audio part of the clip on the timeline, right click it and select the Audio functions, Extract channels.

You should then be able to work out which channels you need - it should be 1 & 2

If you do not see the audio then for this clip and others you may already have

. . . . My workaround is converting the file to MP4 and grabbing the audio from there. . . . .

Is one method.

If you are 'ripping' more DVD use a simpler codec such as AVI with the audio as stereo 2 channel.

John EB

Thanks again John. These files are provided to me, so I'm not part of the ripping process. Unfortunately there is no audio part that appears on the timeline. I guess that I should, as Ray suggested, reach out to Magix and see if they can provide me some documentation on the encoder they sold me - as I'm still not sure what functionality it's providing me with.....

RR

RobertR wrote on 1/16/2024, 7:52 AM

@RobertR

Hi Robert.

Once downloaded such wrappers are integrated into the software. The only controls if there are any for export would be in the 'Export As' section in the file format drop-down list.

The specs page for VPX does not show encoding as a possibility for DVCPRO.

If I were you I would get clarification directly from Magix. Either raise a ticket via your account at Magix or send them an email at infoservice@magix.net.

I'm sure in the morning (Europe) @johnebaker will also say one way or the other.

Ray.

Thank you Ray. I will reach out to Magix.

RR

CubeAce wrote on 1/16/2024, 8:36 AM

@RobertR

Hi Robert,

Are these files from an old Pro Camcorder by any chance? The files are odd in that they could store a lot of information with that DVCPRO wrapper but the image size is small and audio channels too many.

I assume you set the program to use separate tracks for audio and video and set the import of audio to show a wave file. Even with those settings it may not show a wave file or be able to play the sound track until the individual tracks are unpacked.

Make sure there are enough tracks below the sound track to unpack to as VPX will not do that for you. Then right click the sound track and you should see an option that allows you to split the audio tracks into mono or possibly stereo tracks.

Then you should be able to left click each track and select 'create wave form display'. Then you should be able to see how many tracks contain audio. They may all be panned to the centre in the audio mixer.

Ray.

RobertR wrote on 1/16/2024, 8:43 AM

@RobertR

Hi Robert,

Are these files from an old Pro Camcorder by any chance? The files are odd in that they could store a lot of information with that DVCPRO wrapper but the image size is small and audio channels too many.

I assume you set the program to use separate tracks for audio and video and set the import of audio to show a wave file. Even with those settings it may not show a wave file or be able to play the sound track until the individual tracks are unpacked.

Make sure there are enough tracks below the sound track to unpack to as VPX will not do that for you. Then right click the sound track and you should see an option that allows you to split the audio tracks into mono or possibly stereo tracks.

Then you should be able to left click each track and select 'create wave form display'. Then you should be able to see how many tracks contain audio. They may all be panned to the centre in the audio mixer.

Ray.

I'll give that a try Ray, thanks. These files probably came from DigiBeta. I do work for a British TV archive who has several volunteers digitizing all sorts of tapes, which includes many obsolete formats. I never know what to expect!

johnebaker wrote on 1/16/2024, 9:09 AM

@CubeAce

Hi Ray

Given:

• The file format
  • the number of audio channels in the file
  • Robert's professsion

After a little detective work of my own, my main suspect is that it is probably a copy of the original final edit of the movie used to manufacture the DVD disc of the TV program Columbo, Murder by the book episode - I was a fan of the series!.

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 1/16/2024, 9:10 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

RobertR wrote on 1/16/2024, 9:33 AM

@CubeAce

Hi Ray

Given:

• The file format
  • the number of audio channels in the file
  • Robert's professsion

After a little detective work of my own, my main suspect is that it is probably a copy of the original final edit of the movie used to manufacture the DVD disc of the TV program Columbo, Murder by the book episode - I was a fan of the series!.

John EB

Close, but no cigar!

It's Agatha Christie and Hercule Poirot, from 1986 (broadcast in 1987).

And my task for this is to turn it into a commercial DVD.

johnebaker wrote on 1/16/2024, 10:33 AM

@RobertR

Hi Robert

. . . . Close, but no cigar! . . . .

It is good that I don't smoke,  😂😂

I have not read, nor seen that story/movie. 🙁

John EB