Question about commercial use and selling of music made with VST's

AJenn wrote on 8/10/2024, 12:18 PM

Ok so my question is, If I bought VST's and made music of my own with them, no magix sound effect, or video or Loops. Just my own sound using the VST's and midi instruments plugged into my computer. Am I still restricted from selling my music besides streaming and advertising.

The VST's are royalty free, but if I make something brand new...no loop no anything premade magix. Does that make the song completely mine or not?

Comments

SP. wrote on 8/10/2024, 12:35 PM

@AJenn It's your own creation if you compose everything yourself and you can sell it without any restrictions.

You just need to be careful not to steal melodies from other artists which are still in copyright.

AJenn wrote on 8/10/2024, 12:37 PM

Alright! I am good to go then! Thank you!

AJenn wrote on 8/10/2024, 1:04 PM

Wait hold On I have 1 more question. If I used loops for a song ,but bought the royalty free version of the loops. What can I do with it? Could I sell it if a production company wanted it for a lot of dough? *Not actual scenario*, I went through the pdf but there were some points that were lost on me. And I making sure I have a full understanding, from what I read on google. Cause Now I am confusing myself.

SP. wrote on 8/10/2024, 2:07 PM

@AJenn In my opinion the EULA is somewhat open ended in this regard. It says that sublicensing isn't allowed.

It's clear that you cannot sell the Original, unedited loops and that you need to overcome a creative threshold to make it your own.

But the more important question is whether you can only distribute the music for your own projects (which you definitely can) or if it's possible to sell your music so others can use it in their projects.

I personally would say that your customers also need to buy a commercial license in that case. I recommend you contact the Magix customer support at infoservice@magix.net and ask them about this to get a definitive answer in writing.

Besides that, if you don't edit the loops heavily, you and your customers can get Content ID matches on platforms like YouTube. This is a problem caused by the automated Content ID system.

johnebaker wrote on 8/10/2024, 2:11 PM

@AJenn

Hi

Please do not duplicate or bump posts, this is a user to user forum not Magix support and a response to your question will depend on when another users is online and can help.

If you buy a commercial licence for every Soundpool you use one or more loops from, then you can sell your creations.

However . . . Could I sell it if a production company wanted it for a lot of dough?

Most music distributors frown upon music made from loops, IMHO it is better to create your own composition, use/play the VST instruments only. The product is then 100% yours to do with as you please.

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

AJenn wrote on 8/10/2024, 2:36 PM

Ok, sorry. I won't do it again. The song I made that I am curious about passed all copyright for youtube and other sites. But it is entirely loops. I appreciate you taking the time to help me!