Problems with Recording from Line In or Mic input on new Windows Vista System

Arnie wrote on 10/19/2008, 11:54 AM
I have been using Audio Cleaning Lab V.1 for years on my old XP machine,
I have upgraded to a new PC with Windows Vista on.
Encounted problems recording from Line In or Mic inputs
Upgraded to Audio Cleaning Lab 12 deluxe as I felt the problem was due to compatability with Windows Vista.
But I still have the problem, I can play music from my PC using the Line Out, but I cannot input any music via the line in or mic inputs on my PC .
Has any encounted similar problems.
I am connecting directly to ny HiFi as before Line Out to Line In, as I have for many years on my old system.

Comments

NoTurning wrote on 10/20/2008, 8:38 AM
Hi,
First, have you double clicked the speaker icon in your system tray and made sure the levels were up for mic in and line in? Also make sure the mute button is not checked on either one.

From there I'd go to the Options menu, Properties and select Recording. From there you can force recording from Line in or Mic in by checking the box. You are better off using Line in if possible though it has a lower recording level.

Justin
ralftaro wrote on 10/20/2008, 12:32 PM
I'd second the notion that this boils down to a matter of Windows/soundcard mixer settings. If your machine's sound hardware is offering the necessary facilities (i.e. mic and line-in socket), it's all just a matter of telling Cleaning Lab where to record from by means of correct mixer settings. Cleaning Lab itself (or any audio applications, for that matter) only takes what is given by the sound driver, taking into consideration the current Windows mixer settings. The only thing you might want to try and change on the side of Cleaning Lab is the driver model that is being used. In the program's audio recording dialog, make sure that the correct sound driver is chosen in the drop-down list after "Soundcard" (another potential source of problems). This is important, especially if you have multiple sound drivers or similar devices (e.g. on-board modem) in your system. Now, click on the actual "Soundcard" button and switch from the MME to the WDM driver architecture in the little pop-up dialog that will appear.

Now, another potential source of problems is the fact that there are some key differences between the Windows mixer control in Win 2000/XP versus Vista, which doesn't really make it too easy if you're used to XP. You might have to enable certain recording options in Vista's system/audio settings first, before you can effectively choose them in the mixer. Please have a look at the following guide and try to apply the tips given in there to the line-in/mic recording:

www.sagebrush.com/whatuv.htm

I'm positive this should help to sort you out. Eventually, if you really have tough recording problems, you might want to make sure that your soundcard drivers are up-to-date. Check on the website of the hardware's manufacturer. If you're using the widespread Realtek on-board audio hardware in your system, please get the updated driver directly from Realtek:

www.realtek.com.tw/

(Unfortunately, several mainboard manufacturers that are using the Realtek audio solutions on their hardware are not keeping up with the required driver updates to implement improvements and fix known problems.)

I hope this helps!