Problem connecting Panasonic VDR-220

Hillcrest wrote on 2/28/2010, 5:35 AM
When I connect my Panasonic VDR-220 to my PC by USB cable and try to record DV it says "could not connect to the selected device". I have Magix Movie Edit Pro 14 and am using Vista. Please help!

Yes, it is a DVD video camera. I have tried putting the DVD mini-disc into my PC and also connecting the camera to the PC via the USB cable to try and copy the files across but it appear that there is nothing on the disc - but there obviously is because I can playback the footage through the video camera. It's like my PC can't see these files on the disc. I have finalised the disc on the video camera as the manual suggests but this hasn't helped. I also installed DirectX as the Magix-MEP help manual suggested. Still no joy. Do you think using a Firewire cable would be better than the USB? It seems like it is a problem with my PC recognising the camera. When I first connected the camera the PC did come up with a "device now installed and ready to use" pop-up so it is like there is some recognition there, but the Magix software just can't seem to see the camera. Any more suggestions?

Comments

asoeli wrote on 2/28/2010, 7:31 AM
Your camera is a DVD-camera ? Then you can't record to MEP, but you must copy the files to the harddisk before editing. Using the USB-cable, I guess you'll find the camera as an external unit, and then copy the files to the harddisk. Or copying by placing the DVD-plate in PC.

As far as I know, only DV-cameras with tape have Firewire-contact, so that's no solution for you. The copying can be done "outside" Magix, as an ordinary Windows routine. I have no experience with such cameras, but why not try to go to the shop that sold you the camera and ask them ?

akyramoto wrote on 3/5/2010, 12:43 PM
I agree, try copying the files from the DVD to your hard drive, then import them to MEP.

I also found that I had to use firewire to have MEP detect my DV camera. YOu might try that.