Photostory Deluxe 2018 DVDs can't be read by DVD Player

wallacet wrote on 7/11/2018, 3:44 PM

Up until 2 months ago, I made monthly slideshow DVDs for my company's stores to display products currently on sale. I had previously been using an older version of Photostory, though I'm not sure how old as it was purchased by another employee who registered the product to her email; she is no longer with the company so I'm unable to check. Anyway, that version of Photostory was installed on my computer until 2 months ago when my hard drive died and had to be replaced. All the hardware of my computer remained the same, minus a new hard drive.

Unable to locate any information about the previous purchase of Photostory, I purchased the latest version, but am unable to get it to burn a DVD that can be read in our stores DVD players. I am using the same DVDs I did 2 months ago (Verbatim DVD+R, 4.7g, 16x, 120 min) on the same DVD players (Samsung, but I don't know much beyond that) but anything I burn now gets ejected with a message that it could not be played. These same DVD players are currently playing DVDs made with our older version of Photostory and work fine, but are unable to read DVDs made with the 2018 version we have now.

These new DVDs will play on any PC I try, but no DVD players. I've been searching the forums and I see a lot of people suggesting making sure I'm using name brand DVDs, which I am, or making sure to select "Encode all" and checking Rewrite chapter menu... and Rewrite film menus..., and again, I am.

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 7/12/2018, 4:35 AM

Hi, welcome to the Magix forums.

From your very full explanation of the problem - thank you for that, by the way, it saves us having to ask a lot of questions in order to understand exaclty what is or isn't happening - I have only one possible avenue to suggest you explore.

I always use DVD-R discs for burning videos etc., without any playback problems Is it possible for you to obtain even one of these and test it out?

If that does not help I would suspect the problem could be that the discs you are producing are not "finalised". This is because you say that PCs can play the discs; PCs can play non-finalised discs, DVD players cannot. It is a very long time since I used PhotoStory to produce a DVD; can you check the export/burn settings to ensure you are selecting to finalise the discs, though I have to admit I can't immediately see any option in the program which would suggest that the disc would not be automatically finalised?

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

johnebaker wrote on 7/12/2018, 8:54 AM

@wallacet

Hi

If you create an ISO file using the Image Recorder option in the Burn dialog and then burn this to disc with a burning program eg ImgBurn, Nero etc - does this play OK?

In addition to Jeff's comment there is another possibility - the DVD writer is U/S - most likely the head alignment may be out if it has been well used (or mis-used).

HTH

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

wallacet wrote on 7/12/2018, 9:22 AM

@johnebaker Tried using Image Recorder and burning with ImgBurn, but still ejects the disc and says it can't be played.

I then tried to have a coworker install Photostory and burn a DVD on their computer, and that produced the same results.

I don't understand how upgrading Photostory has led the DVDs that are less compatible than before...

johnebaker wrote on 7/12/2018, 4:28 PM

Hi

After some testing there would appear to be an issue with the DVD menu system not working correctly - I cannot replicate your issue, however I have found another issue with the DVD menu system.

. . . . unable to get it to burn a DVD that can be read in our stores DVD players . . . .

Are you creating a disc with no menu system - if not then there may be a work around - assuming you do not need a DVD menu - the video will auto play.

In the menu edit tab

By turning off the 2 options indicated below

this will create a disc that will auto play.

HTH

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Mike_S wrote on 7/21/2018, 12:40 PM

Same problem as Wallacet. PhotoStory Deluxe 2018 burns to the DVD and plays nicely on my computer but can't play on my DVD player. No problem with 2 previous versions of PhotoStory, same computer, same DVDS and same player ... has to be the program. Thanks for the suggested go-around, tried it but no success. Waiting for Magix to get back to me