Photostory 2024 wont load

quantock wrote on 1/15/2024, 6:13 PM

Having used Photostory 2024 previously, I tried to start a new project and it crashed when I selected the directory with net new pictures. Now the program will not load past "Initializing Slideshow...." . If I hit "ESC" it will open "Create Project" window but when the project opens I have no way to pick any resource directory (picture files). There is nothing displayed to the right of the normal screen on the left top. I have uninstalled and reloaded with the same result.

Version 23.0.1.170

Windows 10

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 1/16/2024, 4:25 AM

@quantock

Sorry to hear about this problem, which is not one I think we've seen mentioned before in the forums.

I note you write:

I have uninstalled and reloaded with the same result.

Unfortunately, as you have discovered this rarely seems to resolve such problems! Because there are a number of files/folders/registry entries which are created only on the first and subsequent runs of the program, the default uninstaller does not know they exist and so does not remove them! It seems it is often these items which include the problem and so it reappears after reinstallation.

In these circumstances our usual advice is to download and install the free Revo Uninstaller, run it and have it fully uninstall PS 2024, including allowing it to search for any items which it thinks may be connected with PS. Check very carefully everything it lists, especially if you have other Magix software. Delete those items you are happy are no longer needed, and then reboot your computer.

Following this, try again to install and activate your software. Should you not be able to complete the registration and activation go to your Magix account, log in and go to My products. Find the listing for PS 2024 and click on Show more details. That will show you a page where all the current activations of PS 2024 are listed; deactivate any you no longer need. Log out, wait a few minutes and then try again to activate your new install.

Please do let us know how you get on!

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

quantock wrote on 1/16/2024, 6:55 PM

Thanks for the prompt reply but No Joy!!   I ran Revo Uninstaller and deleted all Applications from Magix including "Photostory Deluxe Templates"  I then rebooted the computer and reloaded PS2024 and rebooted the computer again. Still the same problem!!

The load stalls on this screen:    (prompt is "Initializing Slideshow....")

The only way to continue is to hit "ESC"  and get this screen:

I tried to load an "old" project but still don't get any action keys.

If I select from the "Effects" menu I get access to all functions except "Explorer".

(Screenshot taken after "Title Editor" selected )

I hope you can come up with another path for me to follow!

emmrecs wrote on 1/17/2024, 10:33 AM

@quantock

Sorry, I'm completely out of ideas!

I did notice you were running the latest version (which I hadn't yet updated to) so I did the update; everything works as it should for me.

It can be rather slow at loading, especially at the screen you highlighted first, so how long have you waited for the app to complete its loading process,and before you hit the Esc key?

If that is no help to you I think you need to create a Support Ticket. Start at the Support header of any forum page. On the first page you see choose Photo and Design and then Photostory Deluxe. On the page that opens scroll right to the bottom and click on Contact Support.

Do let us know what Support have say to help you.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

johnebaker wrote on 1/17/2024, 10:49 AM

@quantock

Hi

. . . . The only way to continue is to hit "ESC"  and get this screen: . . . .

This would suggest that there is a hidden dialog waiting for a response from you, usually under the splash screen which cannot be moved to see what is underneath.

Using Windows Explorer navigate to the folder:

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\MAGIX\Fotostory_2024_Deluxe

and delete the file Photostory.ini - this will do a full reset of Photostory, losing any customisations/changes, eg folder paths you have made.

Start Photostory.

Do note: if you use an external USB drive and change any folder paths to point to the external drive, this should be plugged in and available before you start Photostory.

HTH

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

quantock wrote on 1/17/2024, 12:59 PM

To John EB,

Sorry your hint didn't help! I will be opening a ticket with Support right away.

johnebaker wrote on 1/17/2024, 2:49 PM

@quantock

Hi

. . . . I will be opening a ticket with Support right away . . . .

While waiting for a response from Magix, there are a few more checks which may be worth doing:

As the resetting did not work, I suspect that the crash when 'I selected the directory with net new pictures' may have caused an issue elsewhere.

Check your Windows installation has not been compromised by the crash - see this tutorial and do steps 3 - 11. Although - the procedure mentions Windows 10 it is the same for versions 7 - 11.

What is the specification of your computer system, see this topic for what is required and please quote processor and graphics card make/model in full.

I would suggest you put this information in your profile signature for future reference.

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 1/17/2024, 2:50 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

quantock wrote on 1/26/2024, 8:46 PM

Finally I have a resolution to the problem! It took several back-and-forth emails with MAGIX SUPPORT but it looks as if the final solution was to delete photostory.ini AND imp_settings.ini in the C:\Users\yourName\AppData\Roaming\MAGIX\Photostory_2024_deluxe\ directory.

This was done after I had run the MAGIX System Check software and checked to see if I needed to update any display drivers (which I didn't).

John and Jeff Thanks for your help early in the problem.

Martin

johnebaker wrote on 1/27/2024, 2:56 PM

@quantock

Hi Martin

Thanks for the feedback.

The imp_settings.ini  file is another one to add to the list for resetting.

John EB