PHOTOSTORY 14 Deluxe: questions

Rukka wrote on 12/21/2013, 11:57 AM

Hi,

I am looking to buy this product or something similar and am taking a peak at a trial version of the app, I have run into the following issues and which to clarify them with the experts aka the user community ;-)

1) I cannot see any of the picture in picture effects like in the training video ( or is this a feature of the demo? It states full version)

2) I created a small three JPEG with 3 transitions and it exported to an 11.9GB!!! file on my desktop - I presume this is not the norm or a feature of the demo?  This would be one of the main reasons for buying this as shown in the training video.

3) I thought I saw that some one else here was using the magix video software for collating photo slide shows - does anyone else do this? Is it better to head in that route as have lost of video as well

Thanks for reading this

Comments

gandjcarr wrote on 12/21/2013, 3:04 PM

Hi Rukka,

I am not sure if you are asking about file size or the picture in picture effect.  The file size will be determined by the file size of the jpeg files that you imported and how you exported them.  I have the trial version of Photo Story 2014 installed on my system and I also cannot get the PIP effect to show.  It could well be a limitation of the trial, but I must say that if you really want to create great slide shows you really should think about getting Movie Edit Pro 2014.  I have no vested interest in what you actually buy because I do not work for nor do I have an association with Magix other than being a user.  However if you already know that you want to have editing flexibility for your creative endeavors then you really should look at movie edit pro.  It has many more features, and tracks than Photo Story and at the end of the day is a much more flexible product with way fewer limitations than Photo Story.  I edit videos professionally and would highly reccomennd that you consider Movie Edit Pro even if right now you are only planning to create slide shows.

George

johnebaker wrote on 12/22/2013, 5:36 AM

Hi

I do not use Photostory however it is possible that this program, like Movie Edit Pro, is in two parts.  The first part is the basic software with minimal effects, titles, transitions etc.

The second part is the rest of the wizards, effects, transitions, titles etc.

Have you checked to see if the additional downloads are available for the trial version - the option will be under the Help menu.

As George says, if you want maximum flexibility and more advanced control over your projects then Movie Edit Pro is the way to go. 

If you try this and decide to purchase, get the Premium version, the lower priced Basic and Plus versions may need you to purchase additional codecs.

In answer to your point 2 - without knowing what export options you set it is difficult to advise you.

Point 3 - I think you are refering to the Slideshow wizards - as you have lots of video as well I think you would be better off trying Movie Edit Pro ( the wixards are also available in this program).

HTH

John

Last changed by johnebaker on 12/22/2013, 5:40 AM, changed a total of 4 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Rukka wrote on 12/23/2013, 3:15 AM

Hi,

As suspected this was the right place to ask for advice - thanks for the prompt and honest replies. 

George - looking back around the Q&A's it was probably your posts that lead me pose question 3 about alternatives outside of the 'slideshow only' - I took your advice and looked at Movie Edit Pro, by downloading the test version and had a go.  It is a very similar interface and looking at the specs does indeed have a vastly more features.  I purchased Movie Edit Pro yesterday.

John - I did indeed choose the Premuim version based on comparisons as looks dramatically different from the other versions.  That said I really appreciate your advice as gave me total confidence that I had made the right choice.  I chose to see past the initial issues I had with the other Magix software as limitations of the test version.

Gents, I think your answers will be of great use to others that swing by the Q&A section in making their choices - appreciate your time.

Magix - (if there is any one reading), I do think it could be clearer about what is allowed at the test version stage and if additonal features were available via downloads, etc.  A few simple paragraphs on the download page would be a good thing and avoid a lot of frustration as - if I had not persued it further then I would have put it down to poor software and just moved for another app that I was looking at.

Best Regards

gandjcarr wrote on 12/23/2013, 3:53 AM

Hi Rukka,

Congratulations on your purchase, I think you will be very happy especially now knowing that you have a lot of video as well as still images.  Premium was definitely the way to go.  I have Movie Edit Pro MX Premium and recently did the trial for MEP 2014.  I was not that impressed with the previous version (MEP 2013) because it did not have many enhancements from my version.  MEP 2014 on the other hand has very fast rendering and export compared to my version.  So after the holidays I plan to buy it.

Welcome the forum and have a great holiday.

George

johnebaker wrote on 12/23/2013, 2:21 PM

Hi Rukka

Good choice - if you get any problems you know where to come for answers.  I have been using MEP for a very long time, way back to version 11.

In the meantime a couple of tips:

1.   The search function on the right can be very useful - sometimes you will find that, for example, a topic has been answered many times before however the search does not always find it - you have to try different search terms and usually single words are more effective then say 2 or 3.

2.   If you are going to be creating DVD's or Blu-ray discs then invest in some rewriteables - they will save you money and coasters.  Once you have the movie as you want it then copy rewriteable directly using Nero,  ImgBurn or your favourite burning program.

Cheers and happy editting - not to mention the seasons greetings

John

Last changed by johnebaker on 12/23/2013, 2:21 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Rukka wrote on 12/23/2013, 4:31 PM

Once again - thanks for the help and the tips, I am sure there will be more questions to follow :)

Seasons greetings to you both

Regards