Pasting PNG files

Vince-Partridge wrote on 9/21/2018, 2:26 PM

I just bought Xara Desinger Pro X after a couple of years with Xara Designer Pro X11.

In Pro X11 I had no problems copying png images from websites and pasting them into XARA, but in Pro X they all have a black background instead of a clear alpha channel. Can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong.

Xara Designer Pro X11 on the left and Xara Designer Pro X on the right.

I'd appreciate any help or advice.

Vince

Comments

Vince-Partridge wrote on 9/23/2018, 2:11 PM

I may have found the answer as to why 'Clipboard Pasting' is doing this.

From the manual;

"Automatic conversion to JPEG 
The JPEG image format is usually the best choice for photo images, because it maintains high quality with smaller file sizes. So when you import non-JPEG photo files, Xara Designer Pro X will examine the image to see if it would be more appropriate as a JPEG. If so, a prompt is shown giving you the option to convert it to JPEG on import. This reduces the size of your document files and reduces memory usage when editing. 

When pasting in images from the clipboard, the same analysis is done and the image is imported as JPEG if that’s appropriate. This is done silently with no prompts. This is particularly useful when copying and pasting in images from web browsers because although the images are often JPEGs in the web page, some browsers don’t communicate this to the clipboard. "

This didn't happen in Xara Designer Pro X11

Does anyone know of a way to turn this off or a key to hold when pasting.

Thanks.

johnebaker wrote on 9/24/2018, 2:14 AM

@Vince-Partridge

Hi

. . . . . Does anyone know of a way to turn this off or a key to hold when pasting. . . . .

You can just save the image as a png file and then add this to the web page.

Please do be aware that, unless stated otherwise eg free to use via a Creative Commons licence or purchased from stock image suppliers, all images video etc on the Internet are copyrighted and you should gain permission from the copyright holder before using them.

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Vince-Partridge wrote on 9/24/2018, 2:51 AM

Hi Johnebaker,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I am aware of copyright rules and do gain permission, though most of my work is for personal use only.

I am downloading the images and dragging them into Xara, but in the previous version I owned, I did not need to do this and it adds another layer or two of inconvenience. I was hoping a setting or key was available but I guess not.