Once a website is complete for an employer, is there a way to turn it over to them?

ahoverby wrote on 7/21/2013, 5:43 PM

Is this not the type of software that allows you to turn control of the website over to the person that is managed by? Is this not for comercial use? How do I turn the website over to the employer so they can edit information on it as they see fit? Do they need the software to make changes themselves? What information should I give them specifically? Will the information I give them put my account at risk?

Comments

gandjcarr wrote on 7/22/2013, 4:32 AM

Hi,

The easiest way to tranfer control over to another person is to give them your hosting account information and password.  Alternatively, you could give them all of the files that are generated when you use the "Export Website" button from the file menu. That way, the person you are giving the file to can upload them to their hosting provider.

As for the domain name, if you want to trasfer it to another person, you need to work with your domain name provider to transfer it to their account with their provider.

George

gandjcarr wrote on 7/22/2013, 8:45 AM

Hi,

You probably should not go back and change the question based on my or anyone elses answer.  Leave the thread intact by either adding to your original question, or even easier, reply to your own question to add more detail or ask another question in the same thread. 

It sounds to me like you new at creating web sites for clients so I will try to be as clear as possible.

First, this is web creation software, not host account or domain name management software.  Web hosting accounts and domain name registration and ownership have nothing to do with web creation software other than the fact that the software will upload web site files via FTP to the host account that the domain name is associated with. 

There are hundreds of domain registration companies and web hosting providers out there and each one of them have their own processes for acces and transfer to the host.  Domain registration companies such as Magix Online Wold, Godaddy, Tucows to name a few each have their own processes for transferring a domain name from one person to another.

If you created the site in a particular software product, the simplest way for your client to manage and update the site would be to use the same software product unless they want to write html code in which case the could use pretty much any product that allows them to write code.

If you want your client to use your hosting account, depending on the hosting company, you could set them up to manage a particular hosting environment which would keep the rest of your account out of the scope of what they can access.  But they are still going to need something to change and update the site.  I use this approach with clients who want me to hold the hosting account (for which they pay a fee), and usually they also want me to manage and update the site, also for a fee.

I do have one client that after the initial design, they wanted to have complete control over their site, so they went out and bought the software that I used to create the site, they had me transfer the domain name that I had purchased for them to their domain registrar, bought their own hosting account, I gave them access to all the site files, and now they manage the site completely on their own.

I hope this helps clarify this process.  If it does not ask more questions.  Just remember there no web creation software product out there that will transfer management of a site from one party to another.

George