Object FX on VST instrument loops

Wirralguy wrote on 9/28/2024, 2:57 AM

Hi

Is it only possible to use individual FX on the provided loops?

I want to take individual aspects of patterns I've created using VST instruments but it appears you can only add an effect to the track, not the object...

I'm a missing a step along the way, or is this the case and that's just how it is?

TIA

WG

Using MM '25 Premium

Comments

Wirralguy wrote on 10/2/2024, 11:55 AM

Does no one know the answer to this?

emmrecs wrote on 10/2/2024, 1:38 PM

@Wirralguy

Welcome to the Magix user forums!

Sorry no-one has answered you before.

FX are added to a track, not to an individual object. To do what you want I think you would have to place each use of each loop on a different track and apply the FX you wish to use to each track.

HTH

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Wirralguy wrote on 10/2/2024, 2:48 PM

@Wirralguy

Welcome to the Magix user forums!

Sorry no-one has answered you before.

FX are added to a track, not to an individual object. To do what you want I think you would have to place each use of each loop on a different track and apply the FX you wish to use to each track.

HTH

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Ok…. But it is possible if you use the provided loops?

is there a way of turning something you create from a VST into a loop then applying an ‘object’ effect?

I’ve also seemed to find that you can’t use the export to soundforge feature for VST stuff… does this seem right?

It works for beatbox drum tracks, but not instrument loops I’ve created.

unless I’m missing some fundamentals somewhere this is starting to feel more like an expensive toy than a tool.

browj2 wrote on 10/2/2024, 9:44 PM

@Wirralguy

Hi,

Yes, so long as the loop is an audio file and not MIDI.

Recordings made with VST instruments are MIDI objects. In Music Maker, you cannot apply VST effects plugins to MIDI objects, only audio objects. You can see this in the Effects Rack as only Track is available, not Object, for adding effects.

As per the manual, which you should read, to transform MIDI into audio, you have to do a mixdown. This is possible by track or for the whole project. To limit a mixdown to just 1 track, Solo the track, top menu, Edit, Track, Mixdown all tracks. The rest should be obvious. Whatever was on that track will disappear and an audio file of it will be placed on another track - in red.

Select this new object and you'll see that you now have access to Object effects in the Effects Rack.

BTW, a mixdown is normal in audio editing programs as using multiple VST instruments can use up a lot of memory and cause problems with dropouts and fluid playback. In Samplitude, they call it "freeze" a track. However, in Samplitude, you can unfreeze a track as the MIDI object is still available in the program.

If you want to keep the MIDI object, copy it to another track and do not include it in the Mixdown.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

Wirralguy wrote on 10/3/2024, 1:36 AM

@Wirralguy

Hi,

Yes, so long as the loop is an audio file and not MIDI.

Recordings made with VST instruments are MIDI objects. In Music Maker, you cannot apply VST effects plugins to MIDI objects, only audio objects. You can see this in the Effects Rack as only Track is available, not Object, for adding effects.

As per the manual, which you should read, to transform MIDI into audio, you have to do a mixdown. This is possible by track or for the whole project. To limit a mixdown to just 1 track, Solo the track, top menu, Edit, Track, Mixdown all tracks. The rest should be obvious. Whatever was on that track will disappear and an audio file of it will be placed on another track - in red.

Select this new object and you'll see that you now have access to Object effects in the Effects Rack.

BTW, a mixdown is normal in audio editing programs as using multiple VST instruments can use up a lot of memory and cause problems with dropouts and fluid playback. In Samplitude, they call it "freeze" a track. However, in Samplitude, you can unfreeze a track as the MIDI object is still available in the program.

If you want to keep the MIDI object, copy it to another track and do not include it in the Mixdown.

John CB

Thanks for this, John...

So would the follow on process for this be to cut down the mixdown track into loop sized objects, string them together and perform object effects where required?

I will read the manual... I used MM years ago and was sure it was easier back then...

Cheers

WG

browj2 wrote on 10/3/2024, 8:22 AM

@Wirralguy

Hi,

So would the follow on process for this be to cut down the mixdown track into loop sized objects, string them together and perform object effects where required?

Without seeing what you are doing, I would say so.

Then, if you want to turn that into one object, you have to mixdown again, edit the mixed down object if necessary, turn on looping.

Make sure to note where you put the mixed down file so that you can use it again.

I think that I have found a bug on the Mixdown. I set the range bar to be the duration of my MIDI object (the project is longer), Solo, Mixdown, and a message pops about the start and end markers and asks if I want to export this area or the whole project. The answer is only yes or no. Poorly worded question or answer. Selecting yes does the entire range of the project. Selecting no throws up an error as per the image below. Do you also get this?

A lot has been changed/added over the years. It's always a good idea to review the manual from time to time. When I do, I usually find something that I wasn't aware of.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

Wirralguy wrote on 10/3/2024, 8:30 AM

@Wirralguy

Hi,

Without seeing what you are doing, I would say so.

Then, if you want to turn that into one object, you have to mixdown again, edit the mixed down object if necessary, turn on looping.

Make sure to note where you put the mixed down file so that you can use it again.

I think that I have found a bug on the Mixdown. I set the range bar to be the duration of my MIDI object (the project is longer), Solo, Mixdown, and a message pops about the start and end markers and asks if I want to export this area or the whole project. The answer is only yes or no. Poorly worded question or answer. Selecting yes does the entire range of the project. Selecting no throws up an error as per the image below. Do you also get this?

A lot has been changed/added over the years. It's always a good idea to review the manual from time to time. When I do, I usually find something that I wasn't aware of.

John CB

John

I had the same thing... and yeah, the yes/no bit threw me...

I've started to look through the manual... Think I need to go back to walking and graduate to running...

WG