NVIDIA 4070 issues on most basic video editing work

MME007 wrote on 2/11/2024, 6:02 AM

Using a new high end system I'm facing crazy bad results on basic video editing.

System: Intel i7 14th gen with GPU, 48 Gb RAM, 3x SSD WD SN850x , GPU ASUS NVIDIA 4070 ProArt 12Gb, monitor at 50 fps (100 Hz native).

Video PRO X15. All drivers and software to the latest version, NVIDIA gamer drivers.

Starting point:

- Simple HD video from my camera taken in 25fps

- Under Magix, my film is set at HD resolution, but 50 fps

- Import one of my video, without adding any effect, just nothing.

I can directly and correctly play my video and I can export it without issue. Here the first 10 seconds:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xK4gd5zh_5CKWCsNP21nRu7ohh4Jd6Tn/view?usp=sharing

I further build my video mostly around still images with some pans and zooms, not touching the video part. When I go back to that video it isn't displayed correctly anymore... If I export that video part, the problems are exported together:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aJywnx8wONH0WAiD0Gj-cKSLMIs77soJ/view?usp=sharing

This is just an example, from far not the worst I already got !!!

Searching on my own to solve the issue, I found some workarounds to fall back on the original video:

Workaround 1:

- In the program parameters, I switch to the CPU or UHD770 (i7 GPU). The video is directly correctly displayed and remains correct even as I further work on the other parts of my video. With this setting, the animations I gave to my still images are not correctly displayed anymore.

- If I switch back to the NVIDIA 4070. The video part is back correctly displayed (at the condition it was at least fully read with another hardware) but will be degraded as I continue to work on the rest of my video.

Workaround 2:

- Close the program

- Delete the Magix additional files ".H0" and ".HDP"

- Reopen, the video is displayed correctly... just for some time...

Workaround 3:

- Disable the effects from the editor

- I have some effects on my still images... those aren't displayed anymore...

- I didn't deeply tested this workaround but at first glance, it seems to work.

None of those workarounds is acceptable !!!

Please help me identifying the root cause ! It is not acceptable for me to continuously switch between UHD770 and NVIDIA 4070 just to watch other the video sections other the animated images sections of my work ! (I didn't try to export the entire video mixing video and still images.)

I already tested the following without result:

- Closing the program, closing the computer, reopen all ==> no change

- The two sets of NVIDIA drivers, no change. Even after a recent driver update.

- Setting all at 25 fps ==> no change The fps has clearly no impact here.

- Disabled the UHD 770 from the BIOS ==> no change

Thanks for your help !

Regards

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 2/11/2024, 2:10 PM

@MME007

Hi

. . . . The material itself does not appear to be defective. . . .

I agree with this, however there is some jerkiness visible in the original clip, mainly due to the video frame rate being 25 fps and the panning is at a speed where the 'pan' is not smooth. This is an inherent 'issue' with progressive video at a low frame rate.

Recording. at 50 fps, if possible, gives a much smoother pan on playback, alternatively test different pan speed to find which gives the least jerkiness, normally the slower, the better.

. . . . monitor at 50 fps (100 Hz native). . . .

I would suggest you leave your monitor at the native refresh rate.

The original clip looks better on my laptop at its native 144Hz refresh rate than on my PC monitors at 60 Hz refresh rate, neither are a whole multiple of 25 fps in my case.

Enabling the Interpolate intermediate images option on right click of the video object on the timeline in the video tab, does help.

HTH

John EB
Forum Moderator.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

MME007 wrote on 2/11/2024, 5:11 PM

Thanks for your replies.

I probably wasn't clear in my description.

Both video extracts have been issued with Magix, exactly the same way. None is the original.

The only difference is that the first one has been exported right after its import and the second has been exported after some other works on still images loaded after on the time line of my film. (The original video was too long and contains images I do not want to publish)

The fps is not an issue, the first video is perfectly displayed on my computer... Magix can do it, but only once...

I've got the same issue as all is set to 25 fps like the original video.

I enabled "Interpolate intermediate images", without improvements.

Look at the first workaround to recover the quality: switch to the main processor GPU (UHD770), let play the entire film, switch back to the NVDIA and it works ! Directly export the video, the exported video is good. After that the video is bad agin in the editor...
This is the way I just exported my entire film. The result is perfect but without doing this, the result is not useable.

It is not a way to work !

CubeAce wrote on 2/11/2024, 5:38 PM

@MME007

Hi.

I have understood this. The MediaInfo from both clips bears out what you say they are.

Can I ask the make and model of camera that took the video please?

If it had a detachable lens, which lens? Make / model / version.

Also can we have the MediaInfo from the original video clip please?

Have you in this project, on this clip, used the size position rotation effect?

Ray.

Windows 10 Enterprise. Version 22H2 OS build 19045.5011

Direct X 12.1 latest hardware updates for Western Digital hard drives.

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming motherboard Rev 1.xx with Supreme FX inboard audio using the S1220A code. Driver No 6.0.8960.1 Bios version 1401

Intel i9900K Coffee Lake 3.6 to 5.1GHz CPU with Intel UHD 630 Graphics .Driver version Graphics Driver 31.0.101.2130 for 7th-10th Gen Intel® with 64GB of 3200MHz Corsair DDR4 ram.

1000 watt EVGA modular power supply.

1 x 250GB Evo 970 NVMe: drive for C: drive backup 1 x 1TB Sabrent NVMe drive for Operating System / Programs only. 1X WD BLACK 1TB internal SATA 7,200rpm hard drives.1 for internal projects, 1 for Library clips/sounds/music/stills./backup of working projects. 1x500GB SSD current project only drive, 2x WD RED 2TB drives for latest footage storage. Total 21TB of 8 external WD drives for backup.

ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB. nVidia Studio driver version 560.81 - 3584xCUDA cores Direct X 12.1. Memory interface 192bit Memory bandwidth 360.05GB/s 12GB of dedicated GDDR6 video memory, shared system memory 16307MB PCi Express x8 Gen3. Two Samsung 27" LED SA350 monitors with 5000000:1 contrast ratios at 60Hz.

Running MMS 2024 Suite v 23.0.1.182 (UDP3) and VPX 14 - v20.0.3.180 (UDP3)

M Audio Axiom AIR Mini MIDI keyboard Ver 5.10.0.3507

VXP 14, MMS 2024 Suite, Vegas Studio 16, Vegas Pro 18, Cubase 4. CS6, NX Studio, Mixcraft 9 Recording Studio. Mixcraft Pro 10 Studio.

Audio System 5 x matched bi-wired 150 watt Tannoy Reveal speakers plus one Tannoy 15" 250 watt sub with 5.1 class A amplifier. Tuned to room with Tannoy audio application.

Ram Acoustic Studio speakers amplified by NAD amplifier.

Rogers LS7 speakers run from Cambridge Audio P50 amplifier

Schrodinger's Backup. "The condition of any backup is unknown until a restore is attempted."

MME007 wrote on 2/12/2024, 1:11 PM

Hi Ray,

Thanks for looking at this strange problem.

The video has been taken with my old Sony SLT A77-V with a Tamron SP 17-50 Di II 2.8.

Actually I'm taking video with that camera for more than 10 years, have compiled many films exclusively using Magix X PRO, former versions on my former computer, without facing that problem.

The only difference is that I'm editing now in 50 fps instead of 25 fps. The pans and zooms of my still images are looking better at double fps rate 😀

I used LossLessCut to export the first 11 seconds of my original video. This program doesn't re-encode the video, so you can consider that this is the original video:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q0dD0RWHiAZ-wI8O9tpFVoauIl1FffGr/view?usp=sharing

There is absolutely no effect, strictly nothing at all ! The video starts at it's real start, just stops earlier after 11 seconds. (I do not want to share close pictures of my family on the web)

I have switched off all proxies.

Hope we will find 😁

Regards,

Marc

johnebaker wrote on 2/12/2024, 3:21 PM

@MME007

Hi Marc

Thanks for the original clip.

. . . . The only difference is that I'm editing now in 50 fps instead of 25 fps. The pans and zooms of my still images are looking better at double fps rate 😀 . . . .

That is good, however:

From the MediaInfo data:

Frame rate                               : 25.000 FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Interlaced
Scan type, store method         : Separated fields
Scan order                               : Top Field First

If you are going to be creating DVD or Blu-Ray discs there should be none of the issues you were previously having, the video will be Interlaced by default using the standard burn.

However the issue with jerkiness can be aggravated, and another potential issue arise, when exporting interlaced video to a progressive video format.

Interlaced video consists of 2 fields Top/Bottom (Odd/Even), 2 fields make up 1 frame, each field contains one half of image and because they are recorded sequentially there is a time difference.

This means when converting to progressive video which has no fields, the top/bottom fields have to be combined, however with fast moving objects and pans, you may see an effect called 'Combing', this is where the Interpolate intermediate images option turned on will help.

Also ensure that the Apply anti-interlacing filter (suppresses flickering) option, in the export dialog, is turned on, it should be by default.

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

CubeAce wrote on 2/12/2024, 8:10 PM

Hi Marc.

I will get on to this as soon as I can. Possibly later today.

I agree with what @johnebaker has said in regard to panning law. Speed vs focal length and frame speed are well documented. Lots of YouTube videos about that.

I put both the clips onto my time line and overlaid them.

What I found interesting was the frame jumps in the opposite direction to the pan in every instance. Watch the white areas around the archway in particular. It seems excessive and not what I would expected hence my question about camera body and lens in case anything additional is going on.

Ray.

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming motherboard Rev 1.xx with Supreme FX inboard audio using the S1220A code. Driver No 6.0.8960.1 Bios version 1401

Intel i9900K Coffee Lake 3.6 to 5.1GHz CPU with Intel UHD 630 Graphics .Driver version Graphics Driver 31.0.101.2130 for 7th-10th Gen Intel® with 64GB of 3200MHz Corsair DDR4 ram.

1 x 250GB Evo 970 NVMe: drive for C: drive backup 1 x 1TB Sabrent NVMe drive for Operating System / Programs only. 1X WD BLACK 1TB internal SATA 7,200rpm hard drives.1 for internal projects, 1 for Library clips/sounds/music/stills./backup of working projects. 1x500GB SSD current project only drive, 2x WD RED 2TB drives for latest footage storage. Total 21TB of 8 external WD drives for backup.

ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB. nVidia Studio driver version 560.81 - 3584xCUDA cores Direct X 12.1. Memory interface 192bit Memory bandwidth 360.05GB/s 12GB of dedicated GDDR6 video memory, shared system memory 16307MB PCi Express x8 Gen3. Two Samsung 27" LED SA350 monitors with 5000000:1 contrast ratios at 60Hz.

VXP 14, MMS 2024 Suite, Vegas Studio 16, Vegas Pro 18, Cubase 4. CS6, NX Studio, Mixcraft 9 Recording Studio. Mixcraft Pro 10 Studio.

Audio System 5 x matched bi-wired 150 watt Tannoy Reveal speakers plus one Tannoy 15" 250 watt sub with 5.1 class A amplifier. Tuned to room with Tannoy audio application.

Schrodinger's Backup. "The condition of any backup is unknown until a restore is attempted."

MME007 wrote on 2/13/2024, 1:21 AM

Interesting.
I had also much more degraded video where images were even more mixed up than this one.

I checked the "anti-interlacing filter" option in the export dialog box and it is OFF. I will need to try with this parameter activated.

If this is the problem, how do you explain the following observations ?

- The problem appears in editing mode. After first import, any video is correctly displayed. I'm working on other parts of my film and as I come back to watch this first sequence it became bad... Where can it come from? Exporting the sequence on that time will export the issues I see.

- To issue a correct video, I first adjust the timeline to the entire video. Then I turn the editing hardware to another hardware like the CPU or its GPU:

I let play the entire video in editing mode.

I switch back to the hardware to my GPU car:

I directly export the entire video (not paying attention to the anti-interlacing parameters that was off up to now) and the result is:

- The entire exported video is nice, no issue on it at all.

- Watching again the film in editing mode shows problems....

For me, the symptoms are like that some files are created somewhere that are bad using the NVIDIA card and my workaround just recreate those files correctly. Proxies are disabled except if I'm missing some parameters. Deleting the ".HDP" and eventual ".H0" files seem to help. Closing the program and restarting the computer have no effect.

Would the editing mode make use of the export parameters in one or another way?

This evening I'll try to run some tests enabling the anti-interlacing parameter.

Thanks,

Marc

CubeAce wrote on 2/13/2024, 2:32 AM

@MME007

To be honest Marc I have had similar but not exactly the same problems as yourself and even upgraded my graphics card in the process and that didn't help. It could also be that my processor is now getting on as well being ninth gen Intel. For me, if I close the program, wait a few seconds before restarting it and then export the project without first playing it back, the project renders just fine. To date I have found no rhyme or reason as to why this happens, only that it does. It only seems to happen with video clips from my DSLR which gives old style mov files. Anything recorded direct to MP4 works fine.

Here is what happens on my system.

And a resulting file if I allow the project to run after I've played it.

This is how it renders if I don't play the project first. Correctly every time.

The only other thing that is different about the files other than they are mov files is that I had the cameras IBIS and lens image stabilisation turned on without realising, hence my camera body and lens question. I don't know if that info is embedded in the files or not or makes a difference or not but there is no option to Interpolate still images within the programs as there are no individual frames to do that to.

I will try your original file out later today when I can and see if I can replicate my problems with your file.

I should add that portions of my project that are not on multiple tracks and just have cross fades or other effects are not affected in any way so it could be my hardware is just not coping with the newer versions of the programs as it should. MP4 files never give me these types of headaches even when mixed with jpeg or png files.

Ray.

Last changed by CubeAce on 2/13/2024, 2:33 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

AAProds wrote on 2/13/2024, 9:19 AM

I reckon it's a Magix problem. For some reason, Magix is doing a field reversal at at least one point. Have a look at the frames as the boy and the girl straddle the light pole (towards the end). There is a movement reversal of one frame, then the video continues on OK. There is another right at the end (but that could be a Lossless Cut issue).

I've deinterlaced the video in Virtual Dub and the movement is smooth and in the correct direction through those points. AVIDemux shows the same correct movement.

However, when I do a smart render to MP4 from M2TS with AVIDemux (both are using the AVC video codec), the field reversal doesn't occur. Here's the MP4 version of the M2TS:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dSMt4BEeFJV6InIz0TBwOiyVWv9_E57K/view?usp=sharing

In Magix, that reversal doesn't occur. As to why, I couldn't say.

The solution? Smart-Convert those M2TSs to MP4s. I have an appropriate guide here (the MOV to MP4 scenario is the same as this):

https://aaproductions.net/avidemux.htm#xl_HeadingAnchor:58i1v2X

Lossless Cut may be able to smart-render M2TS to MP4.

Give one file a go and see if that stops the judder on export. Currently, that really is bad.

5 minutes later... Dragging the Play marker through both the M2TS and the MP4 files on the timeline, I get marked rapid jerky video. And the reversal at the pole has gone! But then the next drag results in the reversal coming back, with occasional freezes and jumps elsewhere.

And here's the M2TS converted to a Progressive MP4 for experimentation (very smooth here):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N7_gZAtvMxHuO0nuKhRMhdZ35nPKUM1i/view?usp=sharing

All my forum comments are based on or refer to my System 1.

My struggle is over! I built my (now) system 2 in 2011 when DV was king and MPEG 2 was just coming onto the scene and I needed a more powerful system to cope. Since then we've advanced to MP4 and to bigger and bigger resolutions. I was really suffering, not so much in editing (with proxies) but in encoding, which just took ages. A video, with Neat Video noise reduction applied, would encode at 12% of film speed. My new system 1 does the same job at 160% of film speed. Marvellous. I'm keeping my old system as a capture station for analogue video tapes and DV.

System 1

Windows 11 v23H2 severely modified by Openshell and ExplorerPatcher

Power supply: 850W Cooler Master (should have got modular)

CPU: Intel i7 13700K running at 3400mhz, cooled by a Kraken 2x140mm All In One liquid cooler.

RAM: 64gb (2x32gb sticks) G.Skill "Ripjaws" DDR4 3200Mhz

GPU 1: iGPU UHD 770

GPU 2: NVidia RTX 3060Ti Windforce 8gb

C drive: NVME 500gb

Various other SSD and HDDs.

Monitor: 27"/68cm Samsung, 2560 x 1440, 43 pixels/cm.

MEP 2021 version 20.0.1.80

Movie Studio 2023 version 22.0.3.172

Magix Video Easy version 7.0.1.145

System 2

(Still in use for TV and videotape capture)

Windows 10 v22H2

CPU: i5-750 at 2670mhz with 12gb RAM

Onboard IEEE1394 (Firewire) port

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4770 (512mb) which is ignored by MEP

Hard drives: C Drive 256gb SSD, various other HDDs.

Monitor: Dell 22"/56cm, 1680x1050, 35 pixels/cm

VPX 12

johnebaker wrote on 2/13/2024, 11:20 AM

@AAProds

Hi Al

. . . . Have a look at the frames as the boy and the girl straddle the light pole (towards the end) . . . .

Assuming you mean playing the original file, frame by frame in MMS, I am not seeing any frame reversal anywhere - using my laptop at the moment so 144Hz, refresh rate, do you have an exact time for this?

Could this be the refresh rate repeat frames differences discussed in Marc's previous topic?

The conversion, to 50 fps appears to have added 2 frames to the length of the clip - completion of the final GOP (?)

In the conversion, between 6:20 to 7:20, does the wobble seem worse, particularly on the left side, ?

. . . . I've deinterlaced the video in Virtual Dub . . . .

Out of curiosity what settings did you use?

John EB

MME007 wrote on 2/13/2024, 3:28 PM

Hi All,

I created a new film in my project, with all the same parameters, I imported just 3 short videos and plenty of still images, without working on anything yet.

I start playing the video sequences and what I see is:

- The issue is more random that what I thought up to now. A passage is bad, I play it again, it's better but another is now bad, etc. No real logic like CubeAce mentioned it. On the other side, CubeAce you are not editing simple video, far from it. By the way, I really like your short film, congrats for your style ! It's probably not so abnormal that your computer shows difficulties when playing such a video in editing mode.

- The last images were missing at the end of some of my video sequences, I deleted the end on those sequences.

I did not switch to any other hardware, i stayed on my NVIDIA 070

I exported a short sequence of troubled video activating the anti-interlacing filter. No change in the result.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aBJfkI2ZmCxiWaAk9X0e9W0W0qpgOeeZ/view?usp=sharing

I slowly start thinking that there is nothing to do right now. Some will call it a bug, some will more politely call it "a software feature". Let me hope that a future version will improve the situation...

Honestly, I'm disappointed having bought a highly powerful new computer that is supposed to be perfect for Magix and the most basic task falls: just watching a simple HD video without any effect! My 10 years old computer did it for 10 years without problem...

The good thing is that more power consuming tasks seem to work better. I have a workaround to issue a correct video but this is simply not normal.

I also can try converting video before editing those in Magix as AAProds mentioned it. Why this wasn't never required with my former computer?

Thanks to all for your support

AAProds wrote on 2/13/2024, 7:48 PM

MME007, yes, you have every right to be disappointed; you have a rocket ship there and to have this sort of thing happen would be incredibly annoying. As I've alluded-to though, I think this is an isolated case, unfortunately with your particular camera files. Magix on my "newish" (slightly lower-specced than yours) machine has been brilliant, with super fast and smooth on everything I've thrown at it.

Back to the issue at hand, I've just fired up my computer after hibernation, started a new project and put Original.m2ts on the timeline. The motion reversal is still there. The motion from frame 10:11 to 10:12 is reversed. 10:12 to 10:13 reverses again (to the correct direction). If I drag the Play marker backwards and forwards, after a few drags, the monitor video starts being jumpy and jerky. After I do that, the glitch reversal has gone and a tap tap tap with the arrow keys shows steady forward motion through the problem area.

@johnebaker

Could this be the refresh rate repeat frames differences discussed in Marc's previous topic?

John, I doubt it as I'm just doing a frame-step with the arrow keys, not actually playing the video.

In the conversion, between 6:20 to 7:20, does the wobble seem worse, particularly on the left side, ?

Not sure what you mean there.

Out of curiosity what settings did you use?

VDub2 64bit: just the internal deinterlacer, Yadif, double frame rate, top field first.

My struggle is over! I built my (now) system 2 in 2011 when DV was king and MPEG 2 was just coming onto the scene and I needed a more powerful system to cope. Since then we've advanced to MP4 and to bigger and bigger resolutions. I was really suffering, not so much in editing (with proxies) but in encoding, which just took ages. A video, with Neat Video noise reduction applied, would encode at 12% of film speed. My new system 1 does the same job at 160% of film speed. Marvellous. I'm keeping my old system as a capture station for analogue video tapes and DV.

System 1

CPU: Intel i7 13700K running at 3400mhz, cooled by a Kraken 2x140mm All In One liquid cooler.

System 2

Windows 10 v22H2

VPX 12

johnebaker wrote on 2/14/2024, 4:12 AM

@MME007, @AAProds

Hi Marc, Al

Thanks for the info Al.

On my laptop, stepping through the Orginal.m2ts file multiple times (10+) in MMS, I saw the reversal once, after 20+ drags no issue with the monitor video being jumpy and jerky.

Stepping through the m2ts file in VLC the reversal is very obvious. Can you replicate this - start playing the m2ts file in VLC, hit the E key at about 9 secs then keep pressing E key to step through, unfortunately there is no frame number indicator.

Looks like the issue is in the m2ts clip.

The wobble I was referring to is the z-axis rotation between between 6:20 to 7:20, I did not use 'camera shake' as it is mainly rotational.

John EB

MME007 wrote on 2/14/2024, 4:55 PM

@johnebaker, @AAProds

Thanks for your tests.

I opened VLC and played with the original entire video.

Globally I see the same issues as with Magix, even if the behaviour is slightly different, this means the problem isn't specific to Magix.

What I observed:

- Pressing the space bar, the video is correctly played.

- Pressing the E multiple times, all normal even at 9 seconds.

- Clicking somewhere else in the timeline and pressing the E multiple times, the problems appear !  My impression is that even and odd frames are not coming from the same point in the timeline.  It's like the even frames are mixed with odd frames from a half a second before. Whatever clearly more than just two frames inverted ! I also see other phenomena...  I recorded my screen, just watch it !

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mLj0P4pfFCcUSrHXiYMKF30PjKvXAs0V/view?usp=sharing

As you can see, it is not a specific part of the video...

I'm not a not a video format specialist, far from it !  Could it be an issue with some time-code ?  Other explanation?

The problem is visible to me since I change my computer, so I made the exact same test on my former computer.  Same video on VLC provides exactly the same behaviour.  This excludes any problem with my new hardware or drivers... The issue is already in the base video, I have to accept it.

The main difference between VLC and Magix is that with VLC I just have to press the space-bar and after half a second the video is correctly displayed.  Sometimes I have to click somewhere else on the timeline first but it's easy to get it played correctly.  With Magix, the problems remain, they are cumulated and I need special tricks to get it played correctly on my new computer.  Why is the situation much better as I switch to CPU or UHD770 ?  The NVIDA has 12Gb, maybe a question of buffer.  Under Magix, the effects of that issue seem to increase with the available GPU resources.  This probably explains that I never remarked it on my old computer.

Let's look at the solutions 😃

Re-encoding my video first is probably the most recommended action.  Maybe directly with Magix, in 50fps for later use ?  I would import it and directly export it without playing it first?  Better idea or procedure to propose?

I will also further try another workaround: disabling "effects" in the Magix editor.  Even without effect on the video, it seems that the problematic memory effect disappear from Magix.  Magix seems to behave more like VLC in the sense that after half a second the video is played correctly again.  Most of the effects I'm using on my numerous still images aren't affected: pans, zooms, chromatics are still displayed.

Thanks for your help.  It's just my second post, also not a short one.  I definitively highly appreciate that we went to the real origin of the problem.  The previous post made me buy a new monitor... I will not replace all my cameras and lenses after this one.  I will live with that problem, at least for some time 😂

Marc

AAProds wrote on 2/14/2024, 7:38 PM

@MME007

With Magix, the problems remain, they are cumulated and I need special tricks to get it played correctly on my new computer.  Why is the situation much better as I switch to CPU or UHD770 ?  The NVIDA has 12Gb, maybe a question of buffer.  Under Magix, the effects of that issue seem to increase with the available GPU resources. 

Marc, that is probably just a case a rogue video file. It's inconceivable that a 4070 could not cope with that type of video file, although it is odd that it handles better not using the GPU, which would be a programming (or driver) issue.

Maybe directly with Magix, in 50fps for later use ?  I would import it and directly export it without playing it first?  Better idea or procedure to propose?

That may not work because Magix is interpreting the file incorrectly, and so the export will probably be messed up too.

Assuming you have multiple files of this type, you need a batch converter to re-encode them. Handbrake can do batching and might be a solution.

Last changed by AAProds on 2/14/2024, 8:38 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

System 1

System 2

Windows 10 v22H2

VPX 12

johnebaker wrote on 2/15/2024, 3:34 AM

@MME007

Hi Marc

. . . . Pressing the E multiple times, all normal even at 9 seconds. . . . .

Keep going - the 'error' is at 10:11 to 10:12 is reversed. 10:12 to 10:13.

Because VLC does not display seconds:frames my suggestion to start pressing E was a 'safety margin' to not overshoot where the issue is.

. . . . Clicking somewhere else in the timeline and pressing the E multiple times, the problems appear ! . . . .

The random blockiness, and tearing if you got it, is a VLC issue - I have had this with interlaced encoded clips when stepping through and also when playing the menu of some BD discs.

The interlaced video fields are sequential - the old CRT TV had no 'storage' for live transmissions, the only TV system which did was SECAM (France).

. . . . probably just a case a rogue video file . . . .

If you are not having the same issue with other files from the camera, then I would agree with Al's comment.

John EB

MME007 wrote on 2/15/2024, 5:17 PM

@johnebaker

Just a short answer, because I didn't have much time today and I will also not have tomorrow.
I made back some tests with VLC, that I repeated 6 times, exactly this:

- Place the cursor at the real beginning of the video

- Start playing

- Around 9 sec, press E

- Slowly repress E and look if the images are correctly following, even after 11 sec

5 times, I did not see any problem

1 time VLC started mixing images in a large way at 11 sec but I couldn't repeat that issue.

As I will have the time, I can repeat it and record my screen.

Today, I went to the city centre and recorded some animations with the same camera. Nothing to create a great movie ! Once back, I downloaded my rushes to my new computer using the same program as before but a newer version than for the previous video that were taken and downloaded in 2019.
I created a new project in 50fps and loaded my video and still images from this evening.
The program parameters are:

- NVIDIA card for all

- Effects disabled in the editor.

I start playing the video, then I start playing with the cursor on the timeline jumping from one sequence to the other and did not remark any issue. The test is certainly not complete. I started to see the problems once I worked on the still images what in theory shouldn't be related at all. The effects are also disabled from the editor. Too soon to take any conclusion but further to investigate. If the problems are in my old rushes, could the issue come from the transfer between the SD card and the PC using the Sony software? It sounds close to impossible for me...

Need time to further analyse.

Regards,

Marc

MME007 wrote on 2/15/2024, 5:29 PM

@AAProds

"That may not work because Magix is interpreting the file incorrectly, and so the export will probably be messed up too."

Yes and no....

Magix can export my video at the condition I follow one or another workaround to cope with the issue. I tried in last to leave the edit parameter to CPU and export to the NVIDIA and the result is looking nice. I also start playing the entire video with the CPU (don't watch the screen, it's a pity !) then switch all parameters to the NVIDIA and export the video. Also a perfect result !

Defaults could be simply hidden, just not visible as I normally play the video....

Not following those tricks leads to a damaged video. The problems I see in the editor are in the exported video. This is how I easily could share the problem on this forum.
I will test your export recommendations during the weekend.

Marc

CubeAce wrote on 2/15/2024, 7:06 PM

@MME007 @AAProds @johnebaker

Hi Marc.

I have spent more time than I care to mention on this but for selfish reasons as much as to try to get to the bottom of this.

Conclusion of what I am seeing. Tell me if anything is wrong.

First, that your Sony SLT A77-V camera has built in image stabilisation as per seen in this pdf manual. Tell me if I have the wrong camera.

Second, that your Tamron SP 17-50 Di II 2.8 lens is the one reviewed here (but the Sony version) and has the same Tamron Vibration Compensation (VC).

I think you may have had both switched on at the time you took that video clip. Having both on for taking still images is a good thing but bad for video. Good for stills because it helps with the autofocus spot to be accurate but bad for video as it is giving the camera two sets of vibration reduction at the same time which can lead to excessive shifts of movement between frames. The exposure times of each frame seems very short, possibly down to the amount of automatic selections made in the settings. So very little motion blur that you would normally get from a longer frame exposure when running at 25fps which would have made the video have a more natural movement within each frame to blend into the next frame. On top of that using an interlaced frame rate rather than a progressive frame rate may have caused the vibration reduction to overcompensate, The Tamron system has an additional directional vibrational mode the camera does not have that also works on a diagonal. That may not be captured in the files additional metadata that showed up in the video editor as shown here and accounted for in the video conversion.

Notice it shows your image stabilisation is switched on and I presume that is the cameras image stabilisation. I doubt it recorded the lenses corrections for movement as well if as I suspect that was switched on as well. I say that because of the movement I saw when overlaying the two files earlier. The date has also recorded your shutter speed and aperture as well as your exposure and white balance settings.

According to the manual (again assuming I have found the correct one), you also have the option to record MP4 with a progressive frame rate which unless there is a big quality difference when shooting may be a better bet. Also when you shoot video I would not personally have the Tamron VR system switched on as well and may account for the rolling behaviour we also see in the clip. I Think it may have been on because I hear a shutter going off in the video from your own camera. Did you take stills at the same time? I can also take stills with my DSLR but it makes my camera come out of video mode when I take a still image. I know some cameras allow that. I guess yours does. You could also try taking the cameras exposure out of auto and set it manually so as to get longer frame exposures for a smoother looking motion video at 25fps. It takes practice to get looking correct but normally worth the effort.

However getting to the conversion and exporting of the video in a project.

I have found settings that make it possible but with a few limitations. The video clips must be edited as is. No overlapping / cross-fading two adjacent video clips and no adding effects of any kind including colour correction, sharpening, zooming in, or tonal balance. The stills you can do what you like with, add effects, zoom, pan whatever.

It starts with setting up the project before loading any files. By looking at the MediaInfo data for the frame rate, whether it was interleaved or not and the frame size I had to manually find a match of which there isn't one to choose from in the programs drop down menus, so I had to alter it and hope it stuck. I think it did.

If you then open the project again as seen to the right the HDTV and HDV2 1080i info is missing but the altered frame size remains.

Next you will have to change the program settings from the standard renderer to the alternative mode and make sure you choose Standard de-interlacing and that it is set to Top field first. Otherwise with the Standard renderer that option is blocked off.

As you can see in the image above I had imported the file as well as two still images I added effects to as well as zoom and pan changes. I did that after setting the project settings but opened it to show you the alterations. I added the effects to see if adding still images would make a difference to how the video would be exported in the final render. The changes to the movie settings was an attempt by me to get the program tor read the embedded Metadata in the file correctly and now the idea is to try to find settings in the export section to be able to reproduce that file 'As is'. That was started with the program setting changes but now needs to be carried over to the export section.

Start by selecting the following template highlighted in blue.

Next the alterations needed to complete the export.

Note that the Smart Copy box is available to use. Tick and enable it. You can change the Coding quality to Best if you wish and increase the average bit rate to 32000 if you want to ensure a better looking transfer than a lower bit rate may give. That will increase the final file size but not by much percentage wise.

You should then see something similar to this when you come out of the advanced settings as well as the option box on the right which I suggest you should tick the 'Show this dialog after export' box.

That will then show you if the direct copy of the video went ahead with no re-encoding of the files. If successful after you should get a conformation appear.

There are two export options that I have found to be successful which the export to MP4 I have shown above and exporting to MPEG-2 which has similar success but you don't get AC-3 audio encoding as in the original.

Below is the exif data from each export with the original file data to the left. To see the image in full size for easier reading, right click on the expanded view and chose 'open in new tab' whereupon you can enlarge the image to full size.

Note how close the file specs match compared to the normal export settings offered by the normal export options.

The resulting exports look like this. (hopefully uploading the files to here doesn't undo all my work).

Apparently the forum does not support MPEG-2 file uploads so I can only show the MP4 version.

However the second file is identical.

[Edit]

No, it looks awful. The site has re-encoded it. The files can be downloaded from here for the next week for anyone interested.

As I said at the beginning my interest was because I had also had similar problems when having two competing VR options on at once but mine were limited to left / right movement being jerky as some of my lenses have different selectable VR settings.

Ray.

Last changed by CubeAce on 2/15/2024, 7:22 PM, changed a total of 6 times.

MME007 wrote on 2/16/2024, 1:08 AM

@CubeAce

Quick answers...before going to work 😀

My SLT A77-V camera has built in image stabilisation ==> Yes always on

Tamron SP 17-50 Di II 2.8 ==> Has no VC in its Sony version.... because the Sony camera has one!

I'll take more time in the weekend to understand your entire comment. In particular the video setting of my camera.

Thanks for your help,

Marc

CubeAce wrote on 2/16/2024, 3:48 AM

@MME007

Hi Marc.

Interesting.

I've never owned a Tamron lens and my Nikon DSLR has IBIS available for video but my lenses also have optical IS. I assumed wrongly that Tamron would just change lens mounts.

Either way with the project settings I gave I don't give the jerkiness of the video within the program and the export settings don't produce a file that jerks on playback. (although I have not tested using VLC as those comments came while I was doing my own testing)

The problem seems to be that none of the Magix programs have an import setting that match your cameras video files exactly. Dragging a file into the project or importing it through the program does not match the camera file settings 100%. There are no drop-down import settings that match. The same is true for the export settings although most times with most files other resolutions can be used without compromising the file too much other than altering resolution.

Personally, unless you have a good reason to use the interleaved file setting I would stick to using MP4 which is more readily readable by the majority of video editing programs.

[Edit]

I have just re-read your camera manual (page 94) and the Steady Shot system can only be set for either stills or video and I'm assuming that because I hear the shutter click you had it set for still images. That explains the video camera wobble.

There is also a warning on page 193 about importing AVCHD files being corrupted if imported directly onto a computer without the use of "PMB" supplied on the Sony disc. That's a bit worrying.

Ray.

Last changed by CubeAce on 2/16/2024, 4:12 AM, changed a total of 4 times.

MME007 wrote on 2/16/2024, 6:56 AM

@CubeAce

Thanks, I just shortly answer some points:

- MP4 on my camera is limited to a width of 1440. This is the reason it was set on AVCHD

- It was set to 50i, probably because it's the BlueRay format. Could 50p be a better option?

- Shutter? I don't think it was activated. I never take a still picture with that camera as I'm filming. (On my even older cameras, yes I did) You probably heard the auto-focus working. The Sony SLT series has a unique design, the reason I bought it. With its semi-transparent mirror, the auto-focus is as efficient in video taking that on still images. When that camera was released, this was an absolute unique feature. The auto-focus surpassed from far all competitors in video mode. Today, this is old stuff, auto-focus sensors have been integrated in the image sensor itself and the concept is obsolete... In that time, you had to be a real pro to control the focus when shooting with a still camera. It wasn't the case with the Sony SLT family, this the reason I choose for Sony.

- I always use "PMB" (Play Memories) to import from my camera.

Playing some minutes with the rushes I took yesterday evening, I observed two thinks:

- I don't see any issue on the long sequences. But I quickly get it on the short sequences. This let me think that a buffer is playing a role in the issue I'm facing. If the short video fits in that buffer, it isn't renewed.

- having problems on a short sequence, I exported the entire video without taking any care (all sets to the NVIDIA card) and the result was good.

The format of my cameras (I have 3 Sony SLT-A77 and A99) does not perfectly fit with Magix. All somewhat obsolete, I know. All in all, knowing this I can further search the easiest workaround to produce my films. Right disabling the "effects" seems more or less acceptable. When editing the film, yes is see problems. I replay the video, it could have disappeared or just being different. I can export the final result, that is the most important think.
I'm a little bit disappointed about those facts, but it's manageable. I can live with. In the worst case, I have to re-encode my rushes. If 50p is better than 50i, I'll switch to that.

Thanks

CubeAce wrote on 2/16/2024, 7:22 AM

@MME007

Hi Marc.

If possible then progressive frame rates would be preferable to interlaced. At least then the programs have the correct import settings for that profile. Then you can probably add effects to the files without causing those jumps.

The click I hear is close to the beginning of the clip. If you didn't take a still I believe you but wonder at what the click might be. The manual states that the stabilisation may not work straight away after the camera is switched on and could explain the non-stabilised footage. Try using P mode to set the ISO and exposure values separately so each frame has slightly more motion blur. That would be more visually pleasing at 25fps. Lowering the ISO value should push up the exposure time within each frame if you use the + / - button to up the EV slightly.

Ray.

johnebaker wrote on 2/16/2024, 10:33 AM

@MME007, @CubeAce

Hi

. . . . It was set to 50i, probably because it's the BlueRay format. Could 50p be a better option . . . .

Yes.

By convention the i, in 50i, refers to fields per second, as it takes 2 fields to make 1 frame, the actual frame rate is 25 fps, as you can see in the MediaInfo data below:

Progressive video does not have fields, so the p in 50p refers to frames, i.e. the video is 50 fps.

John EB