Comments

ralftaro wrote on 5/28/2009, 11:00 AM
Hi,

If it's just MP4 files, it's probably AAC sound. However, to verify this, you can run an analysis using a software like GSpot:

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Something might be messed up in the codec system for this to not work out properly. The installation of ffdshow might help.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow

ralftaro wrote on 6/9/2009, 4:45 AM
Hmm, sounds tricky. My guess would still be that it's MPEG-4 video with AAC sound, in which case this would be some local codec issue. Maybe you can upload a sample file here. I googled for this Samsung Omnia and it says that it supports a wide variety of video formats, but that probably only refers to the ability to play back these formats. So, I still don't know what format the phone's camera records in and whether that can be customized. Most sites were pretty vague about that part. A sample file might help.

ralftaro wrote on 6/18/2009, 4:12 AM
Hi again,

I also now received the sample file that you forwarded to me the other day. It imports fine into my Movie Edit Pro 14, including audio. I checked the file's properties. It was a little different from what I expected - AMR audio instead of AAC audio. However, the bottom line is still the same: The issue seems to be with the suitable codec for the audio format missing on the system or Movie Edit Pro being unable to properly utilize the existing codec. If I analyze the codecs being used to render the video on my system (using GSpot), it indicates that the MainConcept AMR decoder is being used, which seems to work fine for me. That codec was probably installed by Movie Edit Pro itself, as it uses the MainConcept technology. So, I'd expect the codec to be on your system, but possibly another codec is interfering with it.

Is there any practical solution to this? Well, might be a little tricky. Seems like you've already found a functional workaround. You could check again via GSpot whether the AMR decoder is already on your system and maybe just find and install an alternative AMR codec online.