Newly transferred video corrupted with prev video when editing - BUG

Amanda-Hanson wrote on 5/11/2020, 11:20 AM

Start RYTV (new program, purchased in April). Create new project. Start transferring video from Sony Hi8 camcorder using good quality s-video and audio cables. Automatic scene recognition is checked. When the video is transferred, click to edit video. RYVT scans the transferred video and creates the scenes ready for editing. However, sometimes the scenes are corrupted - it has inserted video scenes from a different project that was created earlier, but kept the correct audio. This has happened several times. What is going on? Windows 10 Home v1909. 8GB RAM.

When the corruption first happened, I had transferred a 90 minute Hi8 tape, about 3GB. I deleted the project, restarted RYVT, created a new project and transferred again. This time using just 30 minutes, so 1GB. It worked ok. So I restarted RYVT, created another new project and transferred the next 60 minutes. But this time it corrupted the scenes. ???

Is RYVT loading the wrong file from its cache at C:/Program Data/Magix/Common/proxy? Is it a memory problem? The only other apps running are Chrome and Outlook. My project names are like '3-1 April 1999'. Are the spaces a problem?

(I work in IT so please be as technical as you like when you reply).

Steve & Amanda

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 5/11/2020, 1:46 PM

@Amanda-Hanson

Welcome to the Magix forums.

First, can you please read this post and give us ALL the details about your computer etc.

From what you write it sounds as if you are saving each imported video file to the same directory/folder and that some filenames are "the same", i.e. files form different source videos are being saved with the same name. I realise Windows should not allow this to happen but...

If that is the problem, and by far the best work practice, is to create a new folder/directory for each project - I name each folder according to the subject of the project, e.g. Holiday 2019 - and ensure that only anything which is part of that project is saved there.

As to using proxy files: I am not sure why RYVT should need to use proxies? You said you had transferred a 90 minute Hi8 tape, about 3GB. That is really quite small! As a comparison, I use different software and hardware to transfer and digitise e.g. a VHS tape, where 1 hour of material is a DV_AVI file about 13GB in size. Even at that size I would never consider using proxy files. What format of file does RYVT produce?

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Samplitude Pro X7 Suite, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Amanda-Hanson wrote on 5/12/2020, 1:31 PM

Lenovo Ideacentre 510S-08IKL i3-7100 processor, 8 GB RAM, 930 GB disk.

Windows 10 Home v1909 OS build 18363.778. 64-bit.

Magix RYVT v6.0.2.31 (UDP3)

I am following what you say is best practice. Each project is a separate folder. Further, each video I transfer goes in a separate project. If I transfer 90 mins or 60 mins of Hi8 then when I click to edit the video, it sometimes gets corrupted with scenes from a completely different saved video in a different project in a different folder. 30 mins and it behaves - so far.

I have no idea what RYTV is doing with what it calls proxies. All I can see it that files are being written to the proxy folder. Given the fact that RYTV is being shutdown and restarted between transfers, and corrupting with scenes from a separate project, it was a guess on my part that these files might have something to do with it. As far as I can see it is only persisting files to that proxy folder and to the project folders.

When transferring video from Hi8, RYVT creates a pair of files - Recording_<index>.mpg and Recording_<index>_mpg.HDP. When I click edit and go into edit mode, and then save it also creates a .MVY file for the project. When I have finished editing and click 'Finish movie', I choose to save as .mp4.

I'm interested to know if anyone else has encountered this.

Amanda-Hanson wrote on 5/25/2020, 10:02 AM

I raised a support ticket for this prioblem, and got the following reply:

"Unfortunately, the problem with content from other projects/sessions showing up in a given project is related to a glitch in the "smart preview" (proxy) system, which exists to guarantee good real-time playback/preview performance. We have already passed on this issue to development for their attention. They are looking into a appropriate long-term fix. Currently, you can easily work around this problem by manually deleting the proxy files generated by the program. You will find these in the following default location on your hard drive:

C:\ProgramData\MAGIX\Common\proxy\

Use your Windows file browser to navigate there and delete any files in that folder. This will prevent any such problems from happening in the next session/project. You may want to repeat this procedure in between projects."

JR1256 wrote on 6/22/2020, 9:19 AM

I have the same problem trying to import videos from my video recorder. It is extremely frustrating. I am using a pc with Windows 10 and I do not have the file location C:\ProgramData\MAGIX\Common\proxy\ on my PC. Actually, I cannot find a "proxy" folder anywhere on my pc. Do the proxy files have a specific naming convention? Maybe I could search for the file name.

emmrecs wrote on 6/22/2020, 9:28 AM

@JR1256

I do not have the file location C:\ProgramData\MAGIX\Common\proxy\ on my PC

Actually you do, but by default it is hidden (by Windows)!

Open File Explorer, go to your C:\ drive and the "View" tab. See the screenshot of the top part of this tab below:

Ensure the box called "Hidden Files" is ticked. Then "Program Data" will be visible. Now follow the procedure given above by Magix Support.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Samplitude Pro X7 Suite, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

JR1256 wrote on 6/22/2020, 10:16 AM

Thank you Jeff. I deleted everything from this folder and that solved the problem. I guess the solution, until the bug is fixed, is to continually delete all files in this folder. Thanks a lot.

emmrecs wrote on 6/22/2020, 10:21 AM

@JR1256

Thank you for the update. Glad everything is now working properly for you. Happy video transfer!

I suspect you are right about needing to delete the contents of that folder once each project is completed, at least for now.

Jeff

Amanda-Hanson wrote on 6/22/2020, 1:20 PM

@JR1256 if you keep the time down to 30 mins per project then you might be ok. Works for me without the continual deletion if ~30 mins or less. I think the bug only manifests itself when memory starts to get constrained.

JR1256 wrote on 6/23/2020, 1:37 AM

Good tip Amanda. I'll try to stick to that. Thanks a lot.