Muting background music during a video clip

bull600 wrote on 12/29/2013, 10:47 PM

I am having difficulty in finding a way to mute the background music (an mp3 file added during slideshow production) when a short inserted video clip is playing (ie so the original sound on the video clip can be heard) and then reverting to the music again once the next photo slide commences.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

browj2 wrote on 12/30/2013, 5:55 PM

Hi,

I assume that your music is on track 4. Right click on the track and select "Create waveform" then right click again and select "Volume curve" "Show." You can do the same on your video track to better see where the sound is that you want protect. You will now see the waveform and there should be a yellow line at the top of the track, which is the volume curve. Double-click on the mp3 file volume line (the hand cursor will change to an arrow when you are on the line) just before the point where you want to reduce or mute the volume (1), then again where you want the volume low(2), again where the volume should start to come back(3), and again where the volume should be back to normal(4). With the mouse, grab point 2 and drag it to the bottom of the track, then do the same with point 3. The sound will now reduce accordingly and then come back up.

I suggest that you not mute the music entirely as the effect becomes too abrupt.

Let me know if you have any problems with this.

Enjoy!

Last changed by browj2 on 12/30/2013, 5:55 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

bull600 wrote on 12/31/2013, 7:25 AM

Thanks very much browi2! After a bit of messing around I was able to get the audio waypoints to appear and then could reduce the volume during the video clips.

Cheers!