mpeg2 imported to magix has no sound

theodore wrote on 9/25/2009, 1:41 PM
When I import video mpegs to the timeline in magix movies on dvd7 I don't get any sound to them.

These are mpeg files captured to my laptop via usb from my Sony DCR-HC21E PAL Handycam tapes using Cyberlink Power DV. When I play them back in Windows Media Player the video and audio is good - but when I import them to Magix Movies on DVD7 I can only view video but cannot hear audio. I have tested the video clips using Gspot and codecs are correct.
Sony's program, Picture Motion Browser stipulates using an I-link cable for capturing video to computer. I cannot capture the files using the I-link cable from camera to laptop because my laptop does not have an I-link port. I then found the only way to capture was by using the Cyberlink Power DV program. However, I have been able to get around this hurdle because I found that by using Windows Movie Maker to compile a movie using these mpeg files and saving the movie to my laptop, I was then able to import this movie into my Magix Movies on DVD7 and found that the audio now was working. Does this make any sense?
Thanks for your interest,
Theodore

Comments

Clevo wrote on 9/26/2009, 9:57 AM
How are you importing them

From where?

I don't have psychic abillities...please tell more details.
ralftaro wrote on 9/30/2009, 8:39 AM
Hi Theodore,

Can you possibly upload and post one of those MPEG files whose sound doesn't import properly in the Magix program. You said you analyzed the files in GSpot and the codecs were "correct", but what audio codec is it that was detected in those MPEG files?

In the long run, if you're working with a miniDV camera, you should definitely have a Firewire controller and a system that meets the needs of video editing. I don't consider a Firewire controller some nice-to-have bonus feature when working with a DV camera - it's a necessity. This will also enable you to capture directly into the Magix software at the best possible quality and without being forced to use lossy MPEG compression in the first place. You source material in the editing process should ideally be DV. You can still mix down to compressed formats later.

ralftaro wrote on 10/2/2009, 10:57 AM
Hi again,

Odd problem. I don't see why it wouldn't import something as basic as PCM audio properly. I just tried to reconstruct this scenario as good as I could by creating a MPEG-2 file with PCM audio in MEP 15+ and importing that file into Movies on DVD 7. As expected, this worked fine without any problems. Maybe you can try installing the following codec on your system (AC3 filter):

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ac3filter/

Don't be confused by the name. The AC3 filter is not just for AC3/Dolby audio. It can help with other problems. Give it a shot. If that doesn't help, I don't really see any other easy way out, other than what you're already doing: Sending the file through another format conversion.

It's not too surprising the laptop doesn't have a FireWire controller, even though it's fairly new. You won't find one in many laptops, or even desktop PCs, unless they're kinda designed for multimedia use or a little more high-end. For desktop PCs, you can always easily add a FW controller as a cheap PCI plug-in card. I guess there are some PCMCIA-based FireWire controller, which you could even use in a laptop, given the right interface.

One question: When you do capture the DV camera via Power DV, do you not get an option to capture to DV AVI, rather than compressed MPEG-2? That might be the solution, not just for the audio problem. Quality would also be better as well.

cheers