Comments

rraud wrote on 11/9/2020, 11:08 AM

Reinstalling (repair) SF has been known to fix the MP3 issue in some cases. If that does not work, uninstall and reinstall.

If you have another version of SF (or Vegas) somewhere. try copy/pasting the mp3plug2 folder from Program Files> SOUND FORGE> FileIO Plug-Ins.

btw, welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users community @WILLIAM-BRANNAN.

Todd-Bacchi wrote on 12/1/2020, 9:08 PM

I have the same issue. If the program is closed it will open when I click on the mp3 but if the program is running, when I click on an additional mp3, I et the error "The file C:\Users\raged\Dropbox\Whiskey Daniels Band\Half A Song.mp3 could not be opened." I only get the error if the program is running. If it's not, it opens the files wit no issue. I have uninstalled and reinstalled as well.

Former user wrote on 12/1/2020, 10:46 PM

Related Software but same issue: I have done everything to-date, MP3 never works for me. I own SF and Acid Pro but only use Acid Pro. Tried clean un-install/re-installing, checked mp3plug2, Win defender exceptions, registry clean up, Even re-did windows...nothing works. MP3 codec will work after first re-install of AcidPro but once PC has been restarted, its gone. It becomes so sensitive to MP3 files that even if I clicked one by accident, or brought in externally from Explorer, Acid will crash immediately. Its one of the worst Bugs present which has been the case since Acid 8. I received another free copy of SF with Vegas when I bought it, same issue. For some reason, SF would not only ignore MP3 files, it would stop from executing.

Edit: In order for both SF and AcidPro to work without a hitch, is to avoid using MP3 files. About to a week ago, I reinstalled Acid at least once daily as a client sent me a huge project full of MP3 files. I had to re-install Wavelab to convert each of them to Wave so I could finish the job.

P.S. I am glad there is at least one more person with this issue. Up until now, I thought I was the only one. Magix support was useless as they stopped responding to me after I sent them screenshots of the issue.

Reason I wrote so much so maybe, somebody connected to Magix will see it and may add a fix in next update.

Ignacio-Litardo wrote on 2/6/2021, 9:44 PM

Same issue here! "Error occured while opening the following file. The file it is an unsupported format" ... MP3... Give me a break, SF. I have the 14 version, up to date.

I reinstalled it when I made the change from 365 to full versions. It worked for a month, then same error "unsupported MP3".

Thanks a lot, I. Litardo from Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Gregory-Nabours wrote on 5/3/2021, 3:08 PM

Same issue. I've been using Acid for a while and I finally bit the bullet and upgraded to Pro. I've completely deleted every trace I can find of ANY Acid version, and reinstalled multiple times. I've gone deeper into hidden files and ensured that they were deleted as well. Nothing works. It's kind of a slap in the face to pay to upgrade only to have a major (and common and expected) function of the program missing. If I open older files that used MP3 somewhere in them, the program asks for the file and crashes if I tell it where it is. I can't export songs as MP3 either. I've seen over a dozen of these stories now, this is a pretty significant problem... and its pretty disheartening to see that people were commenting on this 6 months ago and it still hasn't been addressed.

rraud wrote on 5/3/2021, 3:30 PM

I've been using Acid for a while and I finally bit the bullet and upgraded to Pro

This is the Sound Forge forum. See the Acid forum.

Servondo-Mark wrote on 8/24/2022, 7:08 PM

So, I have installed my newly purchased SF Pro 16 suite and done every bit of troubleshooting that has been suggested and yet I get this "Warning: An error occurred during the current operation. The file is an unsupported format", Seriously! Is there a fix, are you all going to fix it?

rraud wrote on 8/25/2022, 11:07 AM

@Servondo-Mark Have you tried "Reset and clear cached data"? (in the 'File' menu). This has been known to resolve MP3 problems.

If that does not fix the issue, reinstall Sound Forge Pro using a third-party uninstaller/cleaner like Revo Uninstall using the 'advanced' scan mode, then reinstall SFP.
You could also try installing the x86 version which will coexist with the 64 bit version.

If all else fails, contact Magix Tech Support.

Servondo-Mark wrote on 9/8/2022, 1:32 AM

@ rraud, sorry it has taken me so long to get back to this! I will try one of your suggestions and hopefully one of them will work. I'll let you know.

Thanks much!

Tim-McAlpine wrote on 9/21/2024, 5:23 PM

Same issue here but with wav files - updated SF 14 to SF16 and Ater I save ,it will not open because of "Unsupported format "

rraud wrote on 9/22/2024, 10:52 AM

Hi @Tim-McAlpine, Try the aforementioned 'Reset and clear cached data' procedure.
Problems with PCM WAV files are rare Was the file rendered in SF or elsewhere?

Tim-McAlpine wrote on 9/22/2024, 2:32 PM

Reset and clear ,load wav and process ,save as to destination , BUT when I try to open indicates unsupported file format SO the program will not save. samplitude , acid , vid pro x all saving fine . I have mess tech support - thanks for your response

rraud wrote on 9/23/2024, 9:25 AM

@Tim-McAlpine, try another audio playback device type in "Options> Preferences> Audio"
Win Classic Wave and Sound Mapper are usually trouble free with internal cards.

Tim-McAlpine wrote on 9/23/2024, 11:29 AM

ok i tried all this - i still get the error - after saving, the SF 16 project file appears in the destination, but the error message appears and it wont open. If i try to load the project file from inside Sf 16, it does not see it in the destination location . Thanks for helping with this

johnebaker wrote on 9/23/2024, 11:46 AM

@Tim-McAlpine

Hi

Are you trying to open the .sfk file, either from the file menu, or double clicking on the .sfk file, or is this error message appearing after opening the project (.frg) file?

If the .sfk file, this is a Sound Forge Peak Data file, ie the 'waveform image' you see on the audio object in the program, it is not the project file, which has a file extension of .frg, hence the error message.

If the error message appears after opening a .prg file then check that your Antivirus program, Real time protection/Folder protection feature, is not blocking access to the location where the .sfk file is located.

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Tim-McAlpine wrote on 9/23/2024, 1:29 PM

John EB - success ! Thank you for explanation and clarification of file types. I was barking up the wrong tree .

johnebaker wrote on 9/23/2024, 2:02 PM

Hi

Happy editing and thanks for the feedback.

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.