Monitor does not work when recording wave files.

Joseph-Figueroa wrote on 3/15/2024, 3:23 PM

Ever since I switched to Samplitude Pro X8 Suite subscription service last week, I have lost my ability to make recordings using the HD Wave option. Somehow there seems to be a disconnection between the audio sources, Napster, Amazon Music, YouTube, etc., and the recorder feature itself. I have tried using all the items in the Driver System under the Audio Setup section. Normally the WDM and MME settings would work but now: NOTHING! I am running Windows 10, Intel Core i7 processor, using a Creative Labs Sound Blaster Limited Edition X7 sound card. I have tried reloading the latest drivers from Creative Labs for this card and IT still does not operate AT ALL. What's more, I have the same situation with my other SAM PRO X4, X5, X6 AND X7 versions.

Comments

SP. wrote on 3/15/2024, 3:29 PM

@Joseph-Figueroa Monitoring instant needs the monitoring mode slider set to Mixer FX Monitoring Hybrid Engine. And you also need to select an ASIO driver.

Joseph-Figueroa wrote on 3/16/2024, 6:56 PM

I tried following your instructions and using the Creative Sound Blaster ASIO option but in the 'Recording device and file path' section a 'None+None (In)' comes up listed six times, with no other options to choose from. Ideally: 'What-you-hear Sound Blaster 7' option should appear but it does not come up.

SP. wrote on 3/16/2024, 8:22 PM

@Joseph-Figueroa What-you-hear is for recording your PC audio, not for monitoring. With What-you-hear you can, for example, record the audio of your web browser in Samplitude.

If you want to use What-you-hear and it isn't available please check whether it is enabled. On your computer keyboard press the Windows key and R to open the Run command window. Type mmsys.cpl and press enter to open the Windows sound settings. Navigate to the Recording tab. There you need to check for What-you-hear. If you cannot see it, make a right click to show hidden devices. Try to right click on What-you-hear to enable it.

If there isn't any What-you-hear option, then it is not available on your computer. You might need to reinstall your soundcard drivers.

Besides that, after you have selected your Creative Sound Blaster ASIO driver in Samplitude, you should click on the Settings or Control Panel button next to the driver selection to open the ASIO driver settings. There you need to configure your audio inputs and outputs.

You can upload screenshots of your settings to this forum via the arrow icon above the response text box. This will help us to see possible problems in your configurations so we can make better suggestions.

Joseph-Figueroa wrote on 3/17/2024, 3:26 PM

I agree that 'What-you-hear' is indeed for recording pc audio purposes and that's precisely what I'm trying to achieve. 'Monitoring' is how one can ascertain that the recording function is working and the levels that one desires are being captured by the wave file.

Looking at the 'Sound' option in the control panel, under the 'Recording' box, what-you-hear is listed last and reads: '2-Sound Blaster X7, currently unavailable' (the number 2 corresponding to the second instance of the download done this morning) Further, under properties/events and 'information' subsection, a message reads: 'Device USB\VID_041E&PID_323A&MI_00\7&2ab40b96&1&0000 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match. Last Device Instance Id: PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0005&SUBSYS_002F1102&REV_00\5&18901e20&0&0800E3
Class Guid: {4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Location Path: 
Migration Rank: 0xF000FFFFFFFFF122
Present: false

I hope this sheds a little more light on the subject in question.

SP. wrote on 3/17/2024, 6:06 PM

@Joseph-Figueroa This sounds like your Sound Blaster driver is messed up. Maybe you need to reinstall it.

Try the following. On your computer keyboard press the Windows key and R to open the Run command window. Type devmgmt.msc and press enter to open the Windows Device Manager. Navigate to Sound, Video and Game Controllers and right click on your Sound Blaster card and uninstall it. Restart your computer. Select the Restart option and not the Shut down option!

If you cannot see the Sound Blaster card, enable to show hidden devices under the View menu in the Device Manager.

After the Restart, Windows might automatically try to install a driver for the card. If this doesn't happen or if there is a newer driver available on the Creative website, I suggest you download the driver from there and install it.

Joseph-Figueroa wrote on 3/18/2024, 9:37 AM

I did remove and reinstalled the SoundBlaster drivers which got me into an error 2894 RICHED20.DLL failed, which compounded the situation even further. Luckily, I found a solution for it online and the driver operates again.

As in numerous past occasions, Microsoft has a knack for altering the normal working order of things with their well-intended updates. One having taken place just a few days ago. It could be perhaps that they want us windows 10 users to upgrade to their windows 11 platform, which in my case, would take replacing my motherboard because my current one (Gigabyte GAZ68XpUD4 does not pass muster), with a GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE X AX Intel LGA 1700 Socket. This would also entail upgrading my processor, memory cards, video card, power supply, etc., which I would estimate at a cost of about USD1,300.00 or thereabouts (quite a bit of an inconvenience) But I guess in the end, we'll have to acquiesce and give in to their technical demands and hopefully eliminate all these audio and other computing problems. Thank you for your help.