Midi Playback Problem

sjeter1 wrote on 5/29/2009, 6:00 PM
I have been playing with the Magix Music Maker 15 software and I am encountering a playback problem. I am still learning the software so I am hoping it is just a setting issue that I can easily fix.

I can record from my midi keyboard just fine, but when I playback what I record, the software doesn't play back exactly what I just played. Chords are not played together like I originally played them, rhythm is out of sync, etc. I have played with the midi setting within the software and did research online, but I am not able to find a solution.

My keyboard (Casio CPS-80s) has a real-time memory function and so I recorded my song in the keyboard memory at the same time that I recorded it in the software. The software does not play back exactly what I played, but the keyboard does. My guess is that the keyboard is using a different type of recording method than the software.

Has anyone run into this? I am needing to get some recordings over my producer before I hit the studio, but I can't give him a recording that does not accurately portray the way I play my songs.

I am thinking about trying a microphone and doing an audio recording, so that the software is not digitally analyzing every note that I play.  But I prefer not to have to do this, if possible.

Is there a way to be hit record in the software, play my song on my midi keyboard, and have a perfect replication of what I just played?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Comments

NoTurning wrote on 5/30/2009, 12:27 PM

Ahhh the mysteries of MIDI. One problem is that Casio is not a great representation of the MIDI standard. This is why Casio keyboards are more for home and play than "studio" recordings. Another problem is similar... Music Maker is not a studio application like Pro Tools but is also more like a toy for entertainment. Neither product takes MIDI very seriously. Magix does make a more studio oriented product called Samplitude that is a better solution.

That being said... you can get a decent MIDI representation by
A.) making sure your MIDI interface drivers are current.
B.) Magix is set to use your MIDI interface and NOT Microsoft wave table or a general MIDI driver.
C.) Your keyboard is set to be the preferred MIDI device (playback and record) in your Windows Sound Control Panel Applet.
D.) You DO NOT use fingered Chords or any chord shortcuts or keyboard specific settings. With MIDI - what you hear is not what you get.

If you have a line out I would record your keyboard as an audio sample. Studios don't want MIDI since it's relative per machine and is just a set of instructions. They have to convert it to .wav to mix and master anyway. MIDI is getting more popular in pro circles but it's not there yet...

Justin

NoTurning wrote on 5/30/2009, 4:04 PM
Very nice job Sandra!!! I'm glad it worked out for you! Please share your music with us if you can.
Also - please take a moment to join the Music Maker Tips, Tricks and How-To group and share your solution there; it would be a huge help to someone I'm sure.
Have a great day,
Justin

Group Link: http://www.magix.info/us/music-maker-tips-tricks-and-how-to.groups.61.html