MIDI Issues Out of the Blue

dmstar1956 wrote on 9/19/2024, 5:07 AM

I have a Yamaha PSR-S910 synthesizer connected to a Dell laptop running Windows 10.

Everything was working fine yesterday. But today Music Maker can't detect a MIDI instrument; the MIDI light doesn't flash when I press a key on the synthesizer, even though when I remove and then reinsert the USB cable back into the laptop, Windows detects a new device.

I've since rebooted my system, checked and confirmed that local control is turned OFF (on the synthesizer), but Music Maker still detects no MIDI.

I've also checked Devices in Windows 10 Home and the system does not show a synthesizer being a connected device, so I don't know what's going on.

Zero issues yesterday, today no MIDI.

Comments

SP. wrote on 9/19/2024, 5:28 AM

@dmstar1956 Can you show us a screenshot of your MIDI ports in your Windows device manager? Also enable displaying the devices that aren't currently connected. Maybe your keyboard MIDI interface is still listed there and you need to uninstall it via the right click menu.

dmstar1956 wrote on 9/19/2024, 6:04 AM

dmstar1956 wrote on 9/19/2024, 6:05 AM

Not sure how to enable display of devices not currently connected. Pls advise.

dmstar1956 wrote on 9/19/2024, 6:23 AM

dmstar1956 wrote on 9/19/2024, 9:21 AM

Here's something else that I can't make sense of:

I don't get any sound when playing the built-in keyboard in Music Maker, but the MIDI light does flash on and off whenever I press a key.

SP. wrote on 9/19/2024, 10:52 AM

@dmstar1956 Did you enable hidden devices in the View menu of the Device Manager? I cannot see Digital Keyboard 1 in your screenshot. If it's listed, try to install it with the right click menu, then restart your computer (select the Restart option and not the Shut down option) and reconnect your keyboard.

dmstar1956 wrote on 9/19/2024, 1:17 PM

Show hidden devices is now enabled. Under what device category should Digital Keyboard 1 be listed? I assume it's Audio Inputs and Outputs, but it's not there. This is so weird. I made absolutely no changes to any settings between last night and this morning. I just closed the lid on my laptop and turned the power off on the synthesizer. That's it.