Midi Freeze no sound on VST3

amy-k wrote on 6/28/2022, 9:27 PM

Hello! This is my first post here. I have searched the internet high and low for this answer.. I have spent 3 days trying to solve it so I have decided to turn to the forum! Thanks in advance to anyone who has a solution for this.

I am having the same issue in both ACID Pro 11 and Acid Pro Next Suite 1.0 using Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit.

Steps:

I record midi (using a VST), I press FREEZE. The midi is converted to a wave as it should. I press play and can hear it. Life is grand. EXCEPT when the soft synth is a VST3....

I have narrowed this issue down to VST3 specific because I can freeze all other VSTs and listen to them fine, it is only the 2 VST3s that I have which have this issue and of course those are the two soft synths I want to use for my project... Here are the steps for the issue:

I record midi (using a VST3), I press FREEZE. When I press play there is no sound. If I 'thaw' the file there is no sound (now as a midi).

Also, if i freeze a VST I see a quick progress screen to 100% as it converts the MIDI to a wave. If I freeze a VST3, the progress remains at 0% and shoots by very quickly as if nothing actually happened.

Thanks!

Comments

Former user wrote on 6/28/2022, 10:03 PM

Hi Amy, AP10-11 have many issues. VST's are one of them. VST3's are at the top of THAT list. There are no 'work around's' that I know of for that issue. (sorry). In short, you and the rest of AP users are 'SOL' till Magix releases an update to fix the many issues this DAW suffers from. One last thought, you may want to 'render' the MIDI trax and then insert that into your song on another trax.....? (remember to render ONLY the MIDI trax you want, not the entire song)...Cheers

amy-k wrote on 6/28/2022, 10:22 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I was just watching a video on how to render a new track from a midi and thought that might be the way to go for now. Thank you.

sheppo wrote on 7/5/2022, 2:46 AM

hi @amy-k I have tested this pigments and I am able to freeze a midi track and hear the wav playback. The only thing I do non-standard is install all my VST2 and VST3 plugins in to a "VST" folder on a second hard drive, and then point to that folder in the plugin manager.

I remember others stating there's an issue with acid properly detecting some VST3s if they are the wrong file type and the work around was to install the VST3s in to a generic folder, so maybe that's what works here.

johnebaker wrote on 7/5/2022, 3:49 AM

@sheppo

Hi

. . . . I remember others stating there's an issue with acid properly detecting some VST3s if they are the wrong file type  .. . .

That is correct and is a result of some 'VST 3' plugins being released as DLL files with a .dll file extension, then it is not the standard format for a VST 3 and may not recognised as a VST 3 plugin, .dll files are always VST2.

VST3 plug-ins have the .VST3 extension and be of the correct 'internal format', you cannot change the file extension on a DLL version to .vst3 and expect it to work, the two file types are different internally.

Steinberg have this support page regarding the placement and requirements of VST's in Windows.

HTH

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

SporkimusPrime wrote on 7/5/2022, 11:42 AM

Yeah so I basically can't use any VST3 synthesizers with Acid Pro 10, at all. They all have to say just VST. VST3 has no issues at all on audio tracks, but MIDI instruments I get 0 sound.

For example, the Modo Bass and Modo Drum from IK, I use Amplitube 5 VST3 all day long on guitar tracks no problem, but Modo Bass and Modo Drum are both MIDI instruments. They won't produce any sound, but I can switch to the non VST 3 version and it works.

sheppo wrote on 7/6/2022, 5:01 AM

> Yeah so I basically can't use any VST3 synthesizers with Acid Pro 10, at all

That's not a hard and fast rule. The two most recent synths I've purchased both have VST2 and VST3 versions. Pigments VST3 works perfectly. Phase Plant v2 VST3 does not. Both are .vst3 files, and are installed in to the correct location.

amy-k wrote on 7/17/2022, 6:15 PM

hi @amy-k I have tested this pigments and I am able to freeze a midi track and hear the wav playback. The only thing I do non-standard is install all my VST2 and VST3 plugins in to a "VST" folder on a second hard drive, and then point to that folder in the plugin manager.

I remember others stating there's an issue with acid properly detecting some VST3s if they are the wrong file type and the work around was to install the VST3s in to a generic folder, so maybe that's what works here.

Thank you everyone for the replies! I find this interesting. My Acid 10 Pro is installed on C: and I have created a folder named VST on my secondary drive. All of my VST and VST3 are in the same folder. I will explore this a bit and check to see if I am having a folder conflict. As a follow up though I tried what was recommended (the first person who replied) and that also does not work for me. So for now, I can record MIDI to a track and play it back but if

1) I press to freeze the Midi to wav it does not complete the 'process' screen so instead of 0% to 100% it just flashes 0% and doesn't try then I am left with an empty track, the midi notes completely disappear and when I thaw the track it is still completely gone.

2) If I go the route of using "Render" I receive the same exact results.

I will now take a closer look at my folders and how they are assigned in ACID. Thank you!