Midi editing in samplitude proX

JeanMarie-onni wrote on 8/23/2020, 10:36 AM

Hello there,

I know it was working... 😥 I can't adjust anymore the sizes Lengths ! of the notes of a midi recording in samplitude Prox3. I still have other functions ( velocity, etc... ) but I can't anymore write lenghts ! reduce or extend the notes lengths. Can you advice wich function in the program settings concerns this simple function of the midi editor that I basicaly overused in the simple piano roll... Many thanks

Ruelgo

Comments

JeanMarie-onni wrote on 8/27/2020, 9:55 AM

Hello there & Up please... Does anyone of you had a problem with this automatic quantisation in the midi editor of Prox 3. The notes durations still impossible to arrange + all that I play seems auto quantized even when I don't use quantization. Tried everything in the prox preferences but still the same. Do you encountered a problem like this in the prox3 midi ? I really don't know how to resolve this and even think to reinstal everything.

Many thanks

Ruelgo

browj2 wrote on 8/27/2020, 10:38 AM

@JeanMarie-onni

Hi,

Please post screen shots of the piano roll window and the main Arranger window, showing all buttons.

Do not reinstall the program, you are likely doing something wrong.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

JeanMarie-onni wrote on 8/28/2020, 6:36 AM

Hi John CB,

Thank you again !

Here are 3 snapshots

01 is main program window with a midi recording (long notes...)

02 is the window of the midi editor (notes truncated and quantized, quantize not selected ! )

03 are my midi options in prox 3 ( There is one dialog concerns "notes off" . All selected, sorry, french version... last dialog down of the box )

Ruelgo

browj2 wrote on 8/28/2020, 8:56 AM

@JeanMarie-onni

Hi,

Can you change the grid to bars/beats; it looks like a time grid. Then post screen shots of the main screen, including the top buttons and the piano roll.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

JeanMarie-onni wrote on 8/29/2020, 3:13 AM

Hi John !

Many Many thanxs !!

I rather always use objects grid ( mouse selection to objects and not to a musical grid ) because I use samplitude for sound post production more than music.

Here is a snap of the main window, a midi recording with long notes + the midi editor.

I have selected bars in the main quantize.

So the notes are automaticaly transformed as bar notes (...)

I have wrote a note with the pencil in the piano roll midi editor ( red one in the snapshot ), so... it's now automatiocaly a 1 bar note !

The arrow that I was using ( before ) to trim the notes appears and dispears instantly ( so it's not-usable...)

After all that I tried, I'm tended to think it's a major general bug :-(

browj2 wrote on 8/29/2020, 11:01 AM

@JeanMarie-onni

Hi Jean-Marie,

I presume that snap to grid is off, so you can put the note anywhere.

At the top, beside where you have 1 for the Grid quantize value, you have Length quantize value set to linked to the Grid quantize value. Thus when you drag an end left of right, it will only change in values of whatever is set under Grid quantize value, in this case everything that you put on the piano roll will be one bar long unless you drag further.

If you try to draw in a note, it will be 1 bar long. If you have a note on the piano role that is not one bar long, as soon as you touch it, it will become 1 bar long.

When you get the red arrow to increase the length, because of the 1 bar at the top, you can only drag 1 bar; if you stop dragging before getting to the next full bar, nothing happens.

At the top, switch to quarter notes. Now when you drag, you can get quarter note intervals.

If you want to free the length movement, you have to change the Length quantize value to the second one on the list.

Without have your exact settings, I can't really say if there is some other problem. I have no problems with Samplitude Pro X3.

John CB

John C.B.

JeanMarie-onni wrote on 8/30/2020, 12:19 AM

Hi john,

Yes ! It explains right to me how the 2 midi quantization works.

The fact is that I have been using a lot Sam proX1 (since it's came out ) and samplitude old versions since a very long time... Perhaps prox3 midi behavior changes from the old issues

Also... Sometimes I want to do ( too much ) strange things with midi...

( like playing sample loops on keyboard not on the beat and rearange the sounds off the beat in midi editors...) 💩

I'm going now into restore something from the old versions.

Anyway ! Thank you for the time you spent on my problem.

Jean Marie

browj2 wrote on 8/31/2020, 12:20 PM

@JeanMarie-onni

Hi Jean-Marie,

I presume that you have it sorted out now. Kraznet has a big series of tutorials on Samplitude on YouTube that you may want to review.

Also, here is the link to the dedicated Samplitude Pro forum. You should join.

John CB

John C.B.

Maridany wrote on 8/13/2023, 2:14 PM

I've been using Samplitude Pro X5, and I encountered the same issue.

Also, as seen in the screenshot, even though the Length of the note selected is 2, and it plays for 2 seconds, visualizing it shows as 1. I don't understand if it's a bug or not, since I think I've already tried and pressed every button, restarted, tried to open different projects. I've been stuck for a while. Probably, re-installing the software would fix this bug?

Additionally, I can't adjust the Length by dragging the end right or left of the note (it doesn't even show the symbol over the cursor to adjust the length). The only way I'm able to change the length is by changing the number manually, meaning I have to write it, but does not update the bar to visualize the length.

Mario Bandeira

SP. wrote on 8/13/2023, 2:20 PM

@Maridany That's not a bug but simply the Cell edit mode. You probably enabled it. Click on the Cell button in the bottom left corner to disable it.

Maridany wrote on 8/13/2023, 2:36 PM

Hi again,
Sorry, it wasn't really an issue, yes you were right 😅

There was a really tiny button "Cell Edit Mode", which was activated (visualizing cells without any note length information), as seen in the screenshot.

Mário Bandeira