MEP 14 Plus Web Cam Video recording out of sync with audio!

bennihime wrote on 4/20/2009, 1:45 PM
Hello, I am using a D-Link USB web cam and an externally powered microphone to do some basic recording. The settings are
MVX Export: User Defined,
Video: 640x480, 30 frames/s.
Audio: 48000 Hz; Stereo

When I preview the recording in the 'Edit' view the audio markers are behind thier corresponding video events (lag varies). Has anyone seen a similar issue? Is there a way to fix it?

Thanks.

Nna

Comments

siglersmalz wrote on 4/21/2009, 1:03 AM
There are two possible fixes to lagging audio in MEP.  The first one is to have MEP recreate the frame table.  Right-click on the video track (usually Track 1 in Timeline Mode) and select "Create frame table (new)".  This usually syncs up the audio with any imported video.

If that doesn't work, you will likely have to manually line up the audio to match the video.  First, split the video and audio objects with Ctrl M (Edit - Ungroup).

Now you can move your zoom in to get more accuracy and then slide the audio track left or right until the words match the mouths.

Hope this helps,

Tim
siglersmalz wrote on 5/10/2009, 11:46 PM

Wow, you've got some weird stuff going on!

First, the simple answer.  When you ungrouped the audio track from the video track, then they are independant tracks. Extending the audio track will not automatically extend the video (and visa-versa).  Also, the video track will not extend longer than it's original length.  In other words, you can't extend past the absolute end of the video track.

As for the 17 to 7 second difference, I suspect something is getting corrupted in the recording process.  I've had a similar thing recording a TV show into my PVR-150 TV tuner card (total non-Magix process).  Something went wrong because on one 2 hour movie, the resultant video was only 90 minutes long.  I discovered this in MEP, but the problem was the video itself.

You might try using the software that came with your USB camera to do your recording and then pull the video into Magix and see if that works better.  I've never really relied on Magix for actual recording.

Another thing to check when you are recording with Magix is the dropped frames count.  Ideally it should remain 0, but if your CPU pegs during the recording, you will get dropped frames.

Simplicity is the best method for troubleshooting, so take MEP out of the equation for your recording and see if you get better results.  You can then pull the file into MEP and edit away.

Good luck (again).