media pool files

Patti-P wrote on 4/18/2020, 12:45 AM

Thanks for your quick response to my previous question about interactions between Photostory and computer files. It was reassuring.    I did not know that desktop files were so vulnerable (which I will admit I use as a quick access storage space.  I'll fix that now so thanks.)

One followup question...Can you explain what is meant by this sentence in the photostory manual? 

"The Media Pool displays the data on your hard drive. Files that are deleted here cannot be recovered in Windows Explorer."

Patti

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 4/18/2020, 4:58 AM

@Patti-P

That sentence from the manual is quite correct! If you, as the user of the software, choose to delete a file via the delete option in the Media Pool in Photostory, the chosen file will be deleted from your hard drive and so not recoverable. (It actually goes into your Recycle Bin so can be restored from there, in emergency.)

But that is not the same thing at all as saying that Photostory deletes files.  The above scenario is entirely down to user action(s).

HTH

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

browj2 wrote on 4/18/2020, 6:21 PM

@Patti-P

Just to add to what Jeff said, the Explorer tab of the Media Pool is just a variant of Windows Explorer. It is live. Anything that you do there affects the file system. If you delete a folder from the Explorer, then you have deleted it from your hard disk, exactly the same as if you had done it from Windows Explorer. But, PhotoStory does not do this by itself, the user does this. Thus, do not delete files from the media pool.

When you import a file, video, photo or audio, onto the timeline, that is different. Everything that is on the timeline is in the project, but it is only a reference or pointer to the original file. If you delete an object (video, photo, audio) from the timeline, you are simply removing the reference to it from the project, not the hard disk. Secondly, anything that is imported onto the timeline (into the project) has to remain on your hard disk at the same location. PhotoStory uses that file (it does not modify it - ever) and if you delete the file from your hard disk, then PhotoStory will not find it and prompt you to navigate to it. If you have deleted it from your hard drive, tough luck. A PhotoStory project is just a set of instructions. It does not actually contain and video, photo or audio files.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos